The Reference thread

Col.

You can see that the six round tubes behind the shroud were also painted in the same metallic red colour.

Your right, I have never taken much notice of that before!! And to prove a point, here's an underside pic of a T4, those tubes are definately painted.

133_3331.jpg

And a bit of trivia if anybody is doing a T4 (or T2), note that they still retain both cannon bulges on the underside (yellow arrows) even though only one cannon is fitted, and only one chute tube is retained on the side which has the cannon installed (pink arrow). The GR1/GR3 has two tubes, because obviously they had twin guns.

B)

Thanks guys, thats given me a fair bit to go on. Time to attack the pylons and see what happens. Sorry for all the questions but its my first attempt at a detailed build.

And if nothing else at least I'll have a lot to talk about in the asylum....

Here's another one from Colt showing some of the pylon underside again.

134_3448.jpg

B)

Well, in some (older?) pics, it looks just like normal chromate yellow.

But I've noticed that in some pics it has a putrid greeny tinge to it.

Do you reckon they repainted the wheel bays etc when they were upgraded to GR.3s? :shrug:

Edited by Smiffy

Well, in some (older?) pics, it looks just like normal chromate yellow.

But I've noticed that in some pics it has a putrid greeny tinge to it.

Do you reckon they repainted the wheel bays etc when they were upgraded to GR.3s? :shrug:

Hm, good point.

I'm building a Gr.1...so what would be the right color?

@Hi Neil...Any idea what the stripes beneath the outer flap are for and what they are made from?

134_3448bearbeitet.jpg

Edited by coneheadff

Hi folks,

is there an official designation for that ugly wheel well color? And what would be the closest match?

Humbrol, MM, Xtracolor...what ever

Thanks in advance

Alex

Alex,

Try Humbrol 81, or Tamiya XF4 (both a yellow/green shade)

THT

Andy

Air intake colors... My refs suggest that they're painted the same color as the outside of the airframe. Is that the case, and if so how far down? If not, what's the standard color that's used instead?

I'm in the final stages of gathering references for my build of XX119 in the "spotty" orange and black retirement scheme. On the outer faces of the ventral strakes there is a name stencilled in white (Nick ???????? possibly?) on the port strake and a scroll on the starboard strake that the photos I have do not show clearly. I believe that the name and scroll were added after the roll out but before the first flight in the retirement scheme. I've searched UKAR but cannot find any close up photos of the strakes. Can anyone help me (and Doc Fester who is doing the same scheme for the GB) with a photo or two.

jagstrake1.jpg

jagstrake2.jpg

Good question, I will try and find out ....

B)

Hi Neil, and coneheadff,

that striped surface is the underside of the wing spiolers. They were a regular job for me in the machine shop at Coltishall, and I would have to bore out the forked hinge and machine some bushes to bring it back to standard size. The stripes were just gloss grey paint, and I always wondered what their purpose was. I never did find out, but I have a contact that used to work in the paint shop, so he may know. In fact he was responsible for all of the specially marked Jaguars of recent years, so if anyone will know it will be him. Anyway, for modelling purposes, they are just gloss grey stripes, and from memory they were slightly darker than the aircraft colour. Hope that helps.

As for me, I am still stuck in Afghanistan so no progress on my Jag :shithappens: -- Wait for me!!

Regards to All

Andy

Hi Neil, and coneheadff,

that striped surface is the underside of the wing spiolers. They were a regular job for me in the machine shop at Coltishall, and I would have to bore out the forked hinge and machine some bushes to bring it back to standard size. The stripes were just gloss grey paint, and I always wondered what their purpose was. I never did find out, but I have a contact that used to work in the paint shop, so he may know. In fact he was responsible for all of the specially marked Jaguars of recent years, so if anyone will know it will be him. Anyway, for modelling purposes, they are just gloss grey stripes, and from memory they were slightly darker than the aircraft colour. Hope that helps.

As for me, I am still stuck in Afghanistan so no progress on my Jag :shithappens: -- Wait for me!!

Regards to All

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy!

Get home well!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of questions - before I split the packaging on my kit.

Airfix 1/48 instructions make no reference to nose-ballast.

Can anyone confirm that this is NOT required please?

Kit has decals for XZ363 which was at Fairford in 1989 - and so was I!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1053...next_id=0782244

Does anyone know what was under the port wing?