Royal Navy to buy F/A - 18 super Hornet (copy of artical added)

jenko

Would they keep the Hornet name? In the past they've changed the names of American aircraft used in the RN/FAA, so it's not inconceivable they could do it again? Wonder what it would be? :hmmm:

It woud have to be typically British and would probably be the name of an insect. Horsefly? Daddy Long Legs?

You mean there's a bad looking Hornet?!!! Been wrestling my Trumpy E this weekend, and the E is growing on me fast, the F, like the C, is an instant winner, no doubt about it, but I'm liking the E more and more. Going back 50 years, is anyone aware that we were seriously considering a Spey powered Two-sader before the Phantom? (How many off topics can you make in one topic, I'm going for 5!)

Joel

It woud have to be typically British and would probably be the name of an insect. Horsefly? Daddy Long Legs?

I get your drift. How about.........

:evil_laugh:

The Boeing F18E DungBeetle FA1

The Boeing F18E DungBeetle FA1

I like alliterative names like the Blackburn Buccaneer, Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire and Farley Fruitbat. It's a shame that the Dungbeetle isn't built by Douglas. :D

Then again, as it will be semi-aquatic, how about the Boeing Boatman FG1?

Erm you missing something, the article says 138 aircraft, the FAA are only likely to get half of them so the rest would be for the RAF. The RAF would in effect like the RAAF be getting superbugs as strike aircraft to replace Harrier & Tornado instead of F-111. The RAF gets to keep some of its bomber squadrons and the stealth aspect will probably fall into UCAV lap with something developed from Taranis.

I don't think the US will mind at all, as still buying US jets but also get the initial sea training for RN aircrew, flight deck ops trainings for FAA personnel plus potential sales of more Hawkeyes (yeap they become viable once the carriers change to CATOBAR config). Couple that with our carriers then being compatible with their own for cross decking purposes.

However LM & BAE may object but the F-35 is just too expensive, and the failure of BF-1 to continue with its STOVL flight testing since its first STOVL flight tests in March due to various issues mainly ro do with components won't have helped its cause too much.

Hopefully the Trident bombshell won't disrupt these proposals too much, as it sounded like the service chiefs had just about worked out how they were going to go forward with the SDR and the UK's future capability.

G

(From a FAA fan its potentially great news if true, form a modellers its a bit of pain as just building a 1/700 CVF complete with skijump and JSF. Now lloks like this now falls under the Project Cancelled/What-if banner now !!! - But at least i have a 2nd one at an earlier stage that i can adapt to CATOBAR configuration :speak_cool: )

Erm you missing something, the article says 138 aircraft, the FAA are only likely to get half of them so the rest would be for the RAF. The RAF would in effect like the RAAF be getting superbugs as strike aircraft to replace Harrier & Tornado instead of F-111. The RAF gets to keep some of its bomber squadrons and the stealth aspect will probably fall into UCAV lap with something developed from Taranis.

That the current order is for 138 aircraft is fact. The article says nothing about the size of the alleged planned order for F-18s nor was anything said about the RAF getting them. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but I can foresee JSF being ditched in toto and only enough F-18s being purchased to equip one, or maybe two, carriers.

Intresting idea but how long would it take to enter service and be decleared operational?

Wonder if someone would do something stupid, like state it needs British engines?

Current defence projects all seem to overrun.

Shaun.

Re-engine with Speys.....(or EJ 200s)

I think it all comes down to technology accelerating away and affordability not able to keep up. It was bound to happen at some point, and it now has happened with JSF.

Technological developments can really only happen at the speed of money.

could also be a bird or weather condition going on previous planes

Birds

F-18 - Sparrow (doesnt quite sound menacing enough)

- Kestrel (hmm not too bad)

- Raven (excellent but already taken)

- Pidgeon (lol very british) damn have catch the pidgeon stuck in my head now

- Phoenix (mythical but cool)

Weather conditions/effects

F-18 - Thunder

- Sleet

- Avalanche

- Twister

Russ

OK, insect; historical link;

The F/A 18E Sea Hornet

Or a mythical bird

The Boeing F/A 18E Wyvern

Come to think of it, if it ever happens, the FUGLY F-35 should be called the Gannet

OK, insect; historical link;

The F/A 18E Sea Hornet

Or a mythical bird

The Boeing F/A 18E Wyvern

Come to think of it, if it ever happens, the FUGLY F-35 should be called the Gannet

If you want to go totally mythical

F-18 Krakken now thats cool just so the S.O can shout "Release the Krakken" lol

Russ

I like Phoenix Russ, reborn from the Hornet...what about Skua, I know it was used during WWII by Blackburn, but it is an aggressive seabird.. There's also Shrike, Harpy, Sparrowhawk, Thunderbird (from what I've read, SHs are rather loud!), Blizzard...Boeing Blizzard, I like that too!

Joel

It really should be an alliteration. Indeed too bad that it's a Boeing and not a Douglas. The Douglas Downpour would sound supremely British. Although I can see a Boeing Broken (The amount of sky cover for a cloud layer between 5/8ths and 7/8ths, based on the summation layer amount for that layer.)

lmao i had thought of that and also

F-18 Fine rain that wets you threw

Russ

F/A-18 morning mist

changeable

heavy weather

The list here is endless........lets just give each individual aircraft a name....

Dick :clown:

It really should be an alliteration. Indeed too bad that it's a Boeing and not a Douglas. The Douglas Downpour would sound supremely British. Although I can see a Boeing Broken (The amount of sky cover for a cloud layer between 5/8ths and 7/8ths, based on the summation layer amount for that layer.)

And certainly not referring to the fact that with British engines, avionics and other systems it wil never work... :analintruder: