ww2 raf diorama

Hi guys this is my first posting off my models.Also a lot of firsts as this is my first attempt at modelling for quite a few years.The last few years I have been into r/c planes but cant afford that anymore, also fed up repairing them when things goes oops.Never done a diaroma before so thought I would use this Airfix item to muck about with.Its all brush and Humbrol enamels[going onto acryllics with the next one] I had an attempt with weathering and a wee bit etch, never used this medium before.Glazed in the windows of the Matador, also a first as I have always done aircraft in the past.Not happy with the glossy finish ,dont know where I went wrong as I used a matt varnish. Ant comments will be much appreciated.

Thanksww2raf001.jpg

for looking.

Hi guys this is my first posting off my models.Also a lot of firsts as this is my first attempt at modelling for quite a few years.The last few years I have been into r/c planes but cant afford that anymore, also fed up repairing them when things goes oops.Never done a diaroma before so thought I would use this Airfix item to muck about with.Its all brush and Humbrol enamels[going onto acryllics with the next one] I had an attempt with weathering and a wee bit etch, never used this medium before.Glazed in the windows of the Matador, also a first as I have always done aircraft in the past.Not happy with the glossy finish ,dont know where I went wrong as I used a matt varnish. Ant comments will be much appreciated.

Thanksww2raf001.jpg

for looking.

WHOA!!!!! That is ONE STUNNER of a Diorama.

could you post few more pics of this from difefrent angles so WE can get to see the other BRILLIANT

figures and smaller deatails that sets this Diorama off more than others that I have seen in the past.....Good work by the way.. :coolio:

HOUSTON.... :thumbsup:

Nice project to get back into plastic modelling Overall the Diorama is pretty good, I liked the open cockpit on the Spit. Revell do a decent matt acrlyic varnish 361-02 need quit abit of thinning but it does the job. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

Acrylics. I'd never heard of them till I started modelling again last year & always used enamels. I wouldn't use anything else now, but thin them down (acrylic thinners)and apply in several coats building to an opaque finish. Use them unthinned & they go on like porridge.

Varnish - I think the spit would look well enough with a gloss finish, but again it needs to be a thin application. Spray varnish is my fave, but I'm just starting to use Klear which gives a more understated satiny gloss that I think I prefer. Otherwise Tamiya or Humbrol spray varnishes work well enough.

Pay more attention to the joints - a little sanding will go a long way.

It's nice to see a dio occasionally - I think they help to set off the model. Nice job - onwards and upwards! What's next?

Hi guys

thanks for the comments,taken on board your experience and much appreciated.I have to say I enjoyed this build and it gave me a great chance of trying different techneques ,and didnt blow a lot of money learning.

My next one on the board at present is the Airfix HMS Victory, a present from the wife, going to take for ever but alondside this i,ve just started the Airfix club edition Spit MkXVIe. Out of the box build but diffently using acryllics this time round.

Hi guys

thanks for the comments,taken on board your experience and much appreciated.I have to say I enjoyed this build and it gave me a great chance of trying different techneques ,and didnt blow a lot of money learning.

My next one on the board at present is the Airfix HMS Victory, a present from the wife, going to take for ever but alondside this i,ve just started the Airfix club edition Spit MkXVIe. Out of the box build but diffently using acryllics this time round.

any chance of a WIP in the Victory? :-)