Hawker Hunter FGA.9 Academy 1:48

I built this model within 10 days just for fun. I made a big mistake with the markings :shithappens: but I hope you will forgive me ;) .

Academy set with Aires cockpit and... wrong Aero Master decals.

Be gracious in assessing...

Hunter009.jpg

Hunter010.jpg

Hunter011.jpg

Hunter008.jpg

Hunter007.jpg

Hunter006.jpg

Hunter005.jpg

Hunter004.jpg

Hunter003.jpg

Hunter002.jpg

Hunter001.jpg

Hunter012.jpg

• Like 3

Looks wonderful to me. I won't ask what the markings error is; I'll leave that to the purists.

Looks grand that ^_^

How does the kit go together? I've got one stashed but it has the full correction sets, so should be a festival of sanding dust :hanging:

I won't ask what the markings error is; I'll leave that to the purists.

Markings on my model are correct for F.6 version...

Mike

How does the kit go together?

Just excellent as most of the Academy's kits.

Thanks for first comments :) .

Very nice and it only took ten days to complete! It also makes a change to see one of the other shadow squadrons which made up 229 OCU. XE 608 was updated to an F.6A and as such was externally similar to the FGA.9. If memory serves me the only external difference was the repositioning of the IFF aerial from the nose to the spine. If you haven't seen these before I have included a link showing 'your' aircraft and others belonging to 229 OCU and 1 TWU.

Andrew

Brawdy Hunter

Edited by TEZ

That's a wonderful result, very well built and finished. :thumbsup:

Make's me quite dissatisified with my effort at the same kit. :puke:

Ron

Looks good.

Did you replace the wheel weels with the Aires set, or are they the kit wheel wells?

cheers

T

The wheels are from Academy kit. I forgot to say, that main wheel bays is from Aires set.

TEZ Thanks for the link, I have not seen these pictures before! The main visual difference between F.6 and FGA.9 is shape on the end of fuselage.

RR Avon 207 engine on FGA.9 has larger thrust than Avon 203 used on F.6 Hunters.

Andrew Jones

... just reminds you what a pretty jet the Hunter is.

I agree! Hunter is like subtle rolls-royce car among other vauxhalls ;) .

The wheels are from Academy kit. I forgot to say, that main wheel bays is from Aires set.

TEZ Thanks for the link, I have not seen these pictures before! The main visual difference between F.6 and FGA.9 is shape on the end of fuselage.

RR Avon 207 engine on FGA.9 has larger thrust than Avon 203 used on F.6 Hunters.

Andrew Jones

I agree! Hunter is like subtle rolls-royce car among other vauxhalls ;) .

Tez is a bit off on his comments,the F6 ended up with the same back end as the FGA9 with the parachute housing. the Avon 207 and 203 were basically interchangable. the FGA 9 was a conversion of the F6!

selwyn

Tez is a bit off on his comments,the F6 ended up with the same back end as the FGA9 with the parachute housing. the Avon 207 and 203 were basically interchangable. the FGA 9 was a conversion of the F6!

selwyn

Hi Selwyn,

The F.6 yes, but the 6A, of which XE 608 was one of 24 F.6s updated to this mark, were powered by Avon 207s and had the same parachute brake fairing as the FGA. 9s. Indeed,..[t]he 6As were Mk 6s modified in service to carry 230gal tanks to give them range compatability with the FGA 9s, but they lacked the latter's full weapons capability and their "tropical" modifications (such as the special air conditioning)...'. (Aeroguide 9 Hawker Hunter F. Mk.6/T.Mk 7, p.5).

regards,

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

TEZ - this means that I can change the thread title on F.6A and everything will be OK?

Although this particular aircraft was updated to F.6A standards in 1975 -6, I couldn't say if it still wore 63 Squadron markings at this stage. I have found a photo of her in 1 TWU markings, circa 1979 (1 TWU crest on nose - coded '12').

XE608 F6A HUNTER

regards,

Andrew

Tailpipe diameters are identical - just addition of para brake housing that changes shape...

I think I've seen some pix of this a/c somewhere - off to have a nose and report back.

Lovely model BTW :)

Iain

Fantastic job done Arkady!! An excellent finish, on what is (and this is not meant as a criticism of your work, far from it!) a fairly inaccurate kit - in places anyway! Still it certainly looks like a Hunter! Eh? As for the 63Sqn shadow markings, It seems that some FGA9's were listed as being on 1TWU's "strength" when wearing 63Sqn markings. I don't know whether full nose markings were used. I have XJ634 /"29" and XG254 "K" listed. There's also a line drawing of XE656 "35" on page 29 of the Hunter Warpaint, this is dated as being 1978 and it shows the aircraft with a small 1TWU badge on the nose, but with smaller (than those on the earlier 1950's front line 63Sqn F6's) yellow black checks either side of the roundel. The "35" is in white on the fin.

Edited by Bill Clark