Hairbrush A380 (Emirates)

Milo Black

I can also see a red cup with some kind of brown fluid in it. I'm learning new tips all the time :blink:

That, Woody, is a modelling essential - it's a drink made from beans, known as Koff Phee (you can also find it under the brand name Nescafé - Hannants may stock it, and if not, then they should).

The method is to take frequent sips during building, painting, decalling, weathering and thinking. There is an alternative method using leaves, but I've always found that beans work best for me. I suggest you experiment with both and see which one gives you the results you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Still chipping away... no great hurry with this one since I've finished two for this GB already :) Apologies for ropey pics - had to use phone as camera has been nabbed by child or children unkown....

Fuselage half with second coat of H22 along the window lines (see earlier post regarding windows)

Progress1408_1.jpg

Inside of same - pit and gear now fitted, interior roughly painted and windows masked with blutac.

Progress1408_2.jpg

Note large quantity of "old school" red plastacine noseweight - with that huge tail, plenty needed :) I put in "a good chunk" to start with, checked the balance with wings and tail attached, then added more since it was still trying to tail-sit. When the paint has dried, the blutac can come out, the external paintwork will get Tamiya tape to protect it and this should then be ready to be united with its twin (which has had the same treatment). I've done as little of the gear as I can get away with, but the way it joins into the wells means I can't put it on towards the end, as I generally like to do to avoid breakage - and cutting the pins off and relying on glue to hold it with something of this size didn't seem wise. Bear in mind that something will need to be holding up all that plastacine somehow....

Wings, with flap-tracks fitted. One has a first coat of H129 (masked on the reverse for the corroguarded areas) - first coat always looks 'orrible. 'tother just has white matt primer. The H129 looks a bit geige, but it dries greayer than that, and the second coat greys it out further still, so it should approximate to "Emirates underwing grey" by the time I'm done.

Progress1408_3.jpg

Tailplanes are also starting to receive paint. The geography of this kit means that the main assembly can take place quite late, which is useful - saves a lot of masking between wings and fuselage and also makes it a lot easier to handle. Oh, and I've painted the wheels. All twenty-two of them - I'm looking forward to trying to get all of them touching the ground at the same time. Not. My next build will almost-certainly be a seaplane.

I am more than aware that what I do is hardly cutting-edge, state-of-the-art modelling.... "tidy but unspectacular" is usually the best I can hope for..... but hey, I get stuff finished and I enjoy doing it :)

A Question for the Airliner Gurus: Does anyone have any good tips for doing the decals on the front fan spinners? I've tried one, and made a right dog's breakfast of it - Revell kindly supply 6 decals for the 4 engines, so they're clearly expecting about a 50% failure rate.... is it just a question of fiddling until it sits right, or is there some clever technique?

Second Question for the Airliner Gurus: Any suggested paint colours that are a good match for corroguard? I have a boxful of Humbrol and Revell paints, and can mail-order any exotic brands if needed. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I wondered about H79 Blue Grey?

Edited by Milo Black

Second Question for the Airliner Gurus: Any suggested paint colours that are a good match for corroguard? I have a boxful of Humbrol and Revell paints, and can mail-order any exotic brands if needed. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I wondered about H79 Blue Grey?

Reply 1 - Do Airbus actually use Coroguard on the 380?

Reply 2 - there's no real colour match for it - it fades in use so badly that basically any mid metallicy-grey type colour will do. I just mix a silver with back or grey to get a colour I'm happy with. I defy anyone to prove that it's wrong! It also widely varies in colour depending on the light....

Keef

PS - sorry, can't help with the spirals, I'm cr*p at putting them on too!!

Edited by keefr22

Reply 1 - Do Airbus actually use Coroguard on the 380?

Reply 2 - there's no real colour match for it - it fades in use so badly that basically any mid metallicy-grey type colour will do. I just mix a silver with back or grey to get a colour I'm happy with. I defy anyone to prove that it's wrong! It also widely varies in colour depending on the light....

Keef

PS - sorry, can't help with the spirals, I'm cr*p at putting them on too!!

Thanks for the thoughts, Keef - the references I have for the Emirates 380 definitely seem to have corroguard on the wing in-spar areas. I'll start experimenting with paint :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still picking away at this. Fuselage is assembled, I've done the sand-and-fill and got a coat of white matt primer on it last night. The wings have had two coats of grey, but it's not looking nice enough yet, so will need another one. Not worth a photo yet.

A Question for the Airliner Gurus: Does anyone have any good tips for doing the decals on the front fan spinners? I've tried one, and made a right dog's breakfast of it - Revell kindly supply 6 decals for the 4 engines, so they're clearly expecting about a 50% failure rate.... is it just a question of fiddling until it sits right, or is there some clever technique?

I painted them ... free hand ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Hellfire and damnation! :doh:

This was going reasonably well.... I've had a bit of grief getting the paint scheme on the wings right (due to my own ineptitude), but other than that, all good.....

... but just checking reference pics.... and it seems that the Revell kit (assuming that this Lufthansa boxing is the same mould as the previous Emirates edition, but with a different scheme and decals) is based on the prototype A380. The Emirates in-service version (which is what I'm aiming at) has had some windows removed - and because I didn't spot this early enough, I now have too many. I have some good reference photos of an early A380 (F-WWDD, MSN4) in Emirates colours - however, the planes that actually entered service (of which I also have shots) were slightly different, both in some scheme details and in layout.... notably, the in-service version only has one window on the top deck aft of the rear door (not six), and 11 windows on the lower deck between the front two doors (not 12).

Ho hum. I can fill the unwanted windows easily enough, but it means messing up my luvverly shiny white paint on the fuselage and having to try to patch it up so that it doesn't notice.

Pah! Not happy!

I'm half-tempted to say "sod it" and make F-WWDD instead... except that I'd have to cobble together the right idents which would probably look a mess by the time I was done, and it's not what I was aiming for. Ah well.... out with the filler (sigh).

Keep at it Milo! It's looking fabulous so far and had I stayed with Emirates, I'd be flying that thing now... But I'd rather be home every night, there's nothing that can compensate for that.

F-WWDD was one of the development aircraft and as EK had made a very large order with AI, they painted the demonstration aircraft in the EK colour scheme for the 2005 Dubai airshow (Airbus chief test-pilot Claude LeLaie was the Captain) but as far as I am aware, F-WWDD (MSN04) never entered service with EK. The production aircraft that were delivered to EK were, IIRC, completely First and Business class on the upper deck, the lower deck being all Economy. The added toilets and galleys in the upper deck would dictate the removal of some of the windows.

Hope that little bit helps.

Keep at it Milo! It's looking fabulous so far and had I stayed with Emirates, I'd be flying that thing now... But I'd rather be home every night, there's nothing that can compensate for that.

F-WWDD was one of the development aircraft and as EK had made a very large order with AI, they painted the demonstration aircraft in the EK colour scheme for the 2005 Dubai airshow (Airbus chief test-pilot Claude LeLaie was the Captain) but as far as I am aware, F-WWDD (MSN04) never entered service with EK. The production aircraft that were delivered to EK were, IIRC, completely First and Business class on the upper deck, the lower deck being all Economy. The added toilets and galleys in the upper deck would dictate the removal of some of the windows.

Hope that little bit helps.

Have they got lavvy's with windows like Etihad? Like that I do..

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Thanks for the info, Mark - yes, I'd figured that they'd painted up MSN4 as a PR/promotion exercise. Yes, the extra loos and galleys certainly explains the window blanking. I have yet to fly on one of these - hoping to do so, since I've been on most of the other 'biggies' at one time or another.

There is an up-side, of course..... I have fewer holes to poke in the long red dangle on the tail decal now :)

Have they got lavvy's with windows like Etihad?

The A340-500s have. I can vouch for that form experience. Landed at JFK, all pax off and I went to the RHS loo, looking across the apron and suddenly noticed the two operators of the wheelchair vehicle standing on the patform waiting to take the two remaining wheelchair pax off! :blush:

So this is where we are with this:

Wings finally painted.... Generally a little darker than I would like, but I'm NOT doing them again!

Progress1309_1.jpg

Hengines assembled and now being painted

Progress1309_2.jpg

After The Great Window Fiasco, I'm now trying to patch up the paintwork on the main fuse. As far as I can tell, there is no window framing on the Emirates A380 - doesn't show on any reference pics that I have, but if it's silver it might not show that well against the white. If anyone wants to correct me on that please feel free - I have silver-frame decals if needed.

Progress1309_3.jpg

No more work on this now until the weekend - travelling for work the rest of this week - but still hoping to get this done before the GB closes.

Edited by Milo Black

I dont have any of these, but I sure would like some, especially the emirates.

coroguard paint - I know its a bit late but humbrol 56 I think is the one

spinners - hand paint...I would (or do)

coroguard paint - I know its a bit late but humbrol 56 I think is the one

Would have said that's too metallic & not grey enough myself! There was a discussion on coruguard (with quite a few piccies) on another group a couple of years back, & from that & looking at a lot more piccies on A.net too, I think (just me that is! ;) ) that it tends much more to a mid grey with a small metallic element - especially so when weathered for a bit....!!! But then, we all know about interpreting colours from photo's, eh.....???!!! :D

Keef

Edited by keefr22

I'm with you, Keef - H56 is too metallic - but the H129 I wound up using is too dark.... but it needed to be darker than the H166 to get the contrast... so the H166 was prolly a bad choice. Ah well, ya live and learn. I'm going to live with what I have now - I've painted and then done two clean and repaint jobs on those wings, and I'm not flippin' doing them again! They will do! ;)

.... and, as always, the next one will be better. Probably not true, actually, as I'm building a 1980s Airfix 747 in Braniff colours (the Fat Carrot) for another civil GB.... 1980s Airfix.... 'nuff said!

IL-86 - 14 wheels. A380 - 22 wheels. 747 - 18 wheels.

My next build will be a seaplane or a boat. Guaranteed. (It might even be the Dornier X I got recently..... yum :) )

I've used H56 and it looks fine to me

but....like has been said, coro seems to vary hugely, depending on the light, the altitude, and whose looking at it.

Depends on the freshness of the finish - when ours come back from the paintshop, the Coroguard looks very metallic, almost silvery - over time it fades to a barely metallic dull grey. Xtracolour's Coroguard equates very well to the fresh-looking finish.

Progress update:

Engines are about done - just a few little retouches on the paint to do.

Progress2509_1.jpg

I've decided to do most of the decals on the fuselage before attaching the wings - with something this size, it gets difficult to handle once the wings are attached, and the wing join is so good I don't think it'll need any work once they are glued in place. You can't see it in this photo, but I've used clear decal strip to glaze the windows. Some blending-in of the main screen still needed.

Progress2509_2.jpg

Speaking of wings..... you can see that I've started doing the wing stencils before attaching them - same reasoning.

Progress2509_3.jpg

With a following wind, some good work this weekend and no (more) disasters, this should be done by the end of the GB.