1/72 Airfix Nimrod

SirBonealot

This is one of hose kits that has ghad a rougher ride than it deserves. Yes there are issues, but i can make a very impresive model. Alley Cat (A2Zee Models) do a number of sets for the kit: replacement flight ddeck roof/windows section, detailed weapons bay, replacement engine intakes and thrust reversers and fin, SCP intake and nose wheels set, all of which have been well received. Model Alliance/Aviation Workshop do replacement transfer sheets, covering a variety of aircraft in all of the colour scemes worn by the aircraft, and replacement stencilling sets for the main colour scheme variations (grey and white and early hemp and grey with full-colour national markings, hemp and grey with low-vis national markings and the final two greys scheme), Heritage Aviation do a replacement undercarriage set (metal legs and resin nose whel bay). Xtradecal do at least one se of alternative markings too.

Looking at the list there it seems that there is a lot "wrong" with the kit, but that isn't really th e case: like any kit it can be spruced up as far as any modeller likes. Go, build, enjoy.

Yep

this baby has had it's 'Stone throwers' and Custard Pie in yer face face.

But where else will you get a 72nd injection Nimrod?

The last one was a Vac by Formaplane many moons ago.

With some modeling skills and some replacement resin a Mutt's Nuts Nimrod can be produced.

For the non-rivet counters it does look like a Nimrod, so go on and build it.

I have 9 (I think!)

Adrian

Thanks for the reccomendation regarding a2zee my haul came today and im very impressed, the brass windscreen wipers are tiny and still highly detailed, its amazing!! never used an etch before so its all new to me.

Thanks for the reccomendation regarding a2zee my haul came today and im very impressed, the brass windscreen wipers are tiny and still highly detailed, its amazing!! never used an etch before so its all new to me.

KEEP WELL AWAY from the R1 version as Airfix are realy pushing the bounderies with this discription, ALSO KEEP WELL AWAY from the Eduard etched steps as they fell appart on construction £4.50 in the bin - GGGRRRRR!!!!! As i`m sort of building one and speaking from experiance stay away from meuseums and most of the accessories as ther`re a pain - just build it out of the box. The only good accessory i`ve found was on ebay white metal nose leg, and the AEW from Cammet. If your a detail freak like myself then the 100 or so photo`s i took of the one at the Yorkshire Meuseum will have you in a state of dispare!!!!! And another thing Trevor Snowden told me this was a limmited edition kit - 18 months on shops cant sell them and many are now reduced from rip-off £38 to a more pallatable £15. Other than the above its all `tickity boo`. :angry::angry::angry:

Building one at the mo for the what if GB.

You might need to sand the edge of that forward bulkhead to allow the lower wing to fit flush with the fuselage.

Another small problem if I recall correctly is the undercarriage parts 13E will need to be shortened slightly to allow the undercarriage doors 5B & 20B to fit in the closed position.

HTH

smeds

Quote "I think ive already messed it up though, shouldnt this be flush?" quote

No, that's right. The weapons bay roof is effectively the outer skin of the original Comet fuselage: when HSA designed the Nimrod they had to be careful not to disrupt thhe pressure shell too much so that's why the weapons bay is below the original belly line. The front bulkhead does need to be trimmed very slightly to get a good fit for the pannier behind the nose wheeel bay. Try to make sure you get a good joint between the upper edges of the pannier and the fuselage sides, I didn't and the finished model is a bit "tender". Next time I'll remember to wash the parts properly and get the mouid release agent off.

Keep going, it'll be good to see this one finished: have you decided on the colour scheme yet?

All the best,

Steve

I was flicking thru a model magazine in the papershop the other day & the's a feature on building this kit in this months issue.Sorry,dont know which mag it was tho...

Model Airplane International, no.61.

`tickity boo`. means....good stuff ...? right..?

Still learning "English" Cheers,

ggc

Not decided on a colour scheme yet, probably the all grey because thats whats on display at Manchester aviation viewing park. Ill be going to see it before I commit though.

Ill pick up the magazine as soon as I can, thanks.

KEEP WELL AWAY from the R1 version as Airfix are realy pushing the bounderies with this discription, ALSO KEEP WELL AWAY from the Eduard etched steps as they fell appart on construction £4.50 in the bin - GGGRRRRR!!!!! As i`m sort of building one and speaking from experiance stay away from meuseums and most of the accessories as ther`re a pain - just build it out of the box. The only good accessory i`ve found was on ebay white metal nose leg, and the AEW from Cammet. If your a detail freak like myself then the 100 or so photo`s i took of the one at the Yorkshire Meuseum will have you in a state of dispare!!!!! And another thing Trevor Snowden told me this was a limmited edition kit - 18 months on shops cant sell them and many are now reduced from rip-off £38 to a more pallatable £15. Other than the above its all `tickity boo`. :angry::angry::angry:

OK, I'll bite... why is the R.1 dodgy? I was intending to do this variant!

Mike

You couldn't do better than to refer to Mattie Bee's build article on here: I haven't worked out how to paste links yet, but if you search for "XW665" you shuold find it.

The pannier needs some ateration at the front: te front section is deeper than the original bomb doors and there is a bay about two-thitds of the way back along the original weaapons bay thet supports the Doppler panel (the brown-black panel found immmediately behind the nose wheel bay on the MR variants. The wingtip ESM pods need some work too: the ends should be more hemispherical. Window apertures inherited rom the MR Nimrods are plated over (thin plasticard will do) and some of those on the starboard side need reocating.

All the best,

Steve