XA903 VULCAN B1 Airfix

Hi all thought id post photos of my 6th airfix vulcan its been converted using the flight path kit and was my first attempt at somthing of that nature and first experiance of using milliput.
i did my best with the decals i used a mix of the ones in the kit and roundels tail flash and letters from the fantasy printshop.
was painted with humbrol acrilic white and black from a rattle can, and details handpainted with acryilic, was then sealed with humbrol gloss from a rattle can and then humbrol matt from a rattle can misted on
then a final rub over with astonish floor wax for a silky finish and tough surface.
tell us what you reckon.
sad there is no real b1s left.
xh558 and xa903 nearing finish, shows wing difference.
P1010127.jpg
nose with flash!!! flash white
P1010132.jpg
narrow intakes
P1010136.jpg

this shot clearly shows the difference id love to see a photo of a real b1 and b2 next each other but cant find one.
P1010151.jpg
P1010146.jpg
all thats left today
P1010135.jpg
some daylight shots gloomy day mind.
P1010157.jpg
P1010158.jpg
narrow intakes
P1010159.jpg
narrow tailpipes and tail cone,
P1010160.jpg
P1010161.jpg
P1010162.jpg
P1010163.jpg
P1010164.jpg
P1010165.jpg
P1010166.jpg
P1010167.jpg
P1010168.jpg
in this shot is most my vulcans there is another one that is newer the b1a which i recently resurected from scrap article on that soon
P1010202.jpg
hope you enjoyed this and thanks for looking, im still new to this forum and its great is there anywere people chat though.
happy modeling rob

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Very very nice - just a little bit enveous. I see u`ve resurected one mine got distroyed when my mum/dad got devorced!!!!! Got one question - why no undercarridge??????? Keep up the good work. ;)

hi there im glad you like it. i see you say yours got destroyed i dont know if thats in reference to my other post on the b1a i rescued.

i had 2 vulcans that started off this boom in making them i had a model of 556 and 575 that my ex trashed (feel the hate welling inside now and a lot of words) my new girlfriend encourages me to make more and more of them, im not going to argue.

as for the the undercarriage, i just like the clean looks of the vulcan how its supposed to be flying.

however i am thinking of doing some with wheels down. i just worry about stuff breaking as i have not much space at present.

cheers for looking

Very Nice - Well Done!

Cheers,

ta dude thanks for looking i love this site its so nice to be able to share with like minded people. rather than some misserable sod trying to judge you against thier boring standards.

Nice collection Rob, like you I like the all white B1's but prefer the camo, (hard edged, high gloss) on the B2. (btw are you going to fit the wing tip pitot tubes as these are very prominent on the real thing?). I've noticed you have no undercarriage on any of them, do you intend to hang them or fit stands later?

Cheers, :cheers:

Nice collection Rob, like you I like the all white B1's but prefer the camo, (hard edged, high gloss) on the B2. (btw are you going to fit the wing tip pitot tubes as these are very prominent on the real thing?). I've noticed you have no undercarriage on any of them, do you intend to hang them or fit stands later?

Cheers, :cheers:

hi there i love all vulcans there all beauties i will ft the pittot tubes but at the moment im at home again till i get my own place i want to keep them in a state i can enjoy them without fear of breakin them. till i move and settle

or a may just build more

as for undercarrage, i just like them how they look when they fly and the intention is to make some stands for them, to eithr sit on thier bellys or be shoved up the exausts to make them look like they are flying out the wall.

i may do my next ones with wheels down and im toying with the idea of fitting leds for lights. and maybe a dcc sound unit from the train world to allow on to be built on a base with start up sounds lights an a fan with smoke generator all computer controled. should be fun

Now, that is a neat build. It does look good with the wheels up.

Dan

hi there thanks for the comments eye it does.looks like it should never be on the ground.

I was going to add a reply to your resurection build as you were looking at your posting, but thought better of it and went for this one instead. Fully agree with the clean look ot these kits as evertime i came home on leave my mum had just so happend to have dusted ..... the wheels never aligned up there after. ;)

Lovely job, I was unsure whether to take on the B.1 conversion. Now I think I will! :goodjob:

hi there thanks for that dude. yea i always wanted a b1 it has a totally differnt vibe to it to the b2. i toyed for years about doing it but its not that bad. i did this one with the flight path kit. if you find my old post you will see the other vulcans, and xa904 was first attempt at modifying one from scratch and the wings are kinda right. but then i have see photos of b1s with slightly differnt angles to them especially at the tips.

it took me only a day to get the vulcan together. another day to sand the millput. and a day to paint it.

as for the resurected b1a it was a wing from scratche after measureing it from the flight path xa903 and using maskes to mark the areas to be kept.

thanks for the commens dude

I was going to add a reply to your resurection build as you were looking at your posting, but thought better of it and went for this one instead. Fully agree with the clean look ot these kits as evertime i came home on leave my mum had just so happend to have dusted ..... the wheels never aligned up there after. ;)

thanks mate glad you like it. so your vulcans wheels got scewed thats a shame. good excuse to build another though,

your Vulcan collection looks amazing. You certainly have a soft spot for the Tin Triangle and that shows in your builds. I look forward to seeing the next one - great stuff!

thanks man its really great the feed back im getting its nice that they bring happyness to others thant myself. i do love the tin triagle alot, my dad and uncle used to talk about the farnbough show when the originals were there when they were kids. i was raised on the 50s jets vampires venoms etc. and love the 50s era on. my dad took me to see the vulcan at wroughton 1992 it changed my life and was very sad to not see it for so long. it had a big effect on me, im now 26. and whilst there no were near as aggressive as they was then. and trust me ive heard nothing so loud as xh558 that day. theres something about the way it flys its differnt to any other plane. it is unreal and looks like it just floats. almost as if there is a ghost holding it safly like a toy flying it around. i remember being told there is something about triangles that has an effect on focusing the human mind, im also obsessed with egyptians too wonder if there is a conection. half asleep here sorry for blathering cheers man,

• 1 month later...

these white vulcans take me back to when i was a kid ,watching them fly over the farm trailing black smoke, ahh those were the days . nice builds :wow:

• 2 weeks later...

hi there guys i havent been online for a while im sorry for not replying thanks for all your comments. as for storage, they live on top of my wadrobes at the moment. and im thinking of building more,

i dont know what it is but i love building models of the vulcan particularly,

next i plan to do a silver b1, a dark grey green camo all over vulcan, a black buck vulcan,

and im going to make an airfix prototype vulcan too. that will probs be the next one i do vx770.

• 2 months later...
these white vulcans take me back to when i was a kid ,watching them fly over the farm trailing black smoke, ahh those were the days . nice builds :wow:

your very lucky to have seen that. i would do anything to see that if time travel was invented im pretty sure the first thing i would do is head to waddington in the 50s and 60s with a flask of tea and some biscuits

watching many vulcans thats my idea of heaven.

i was lucky to see 558 at wroughton in 1992 its a shame they cant fly her like that any more ive never heard anything so loud as a vulcan there certainly very gentle with it now.

im thinking of building another white b2 this weekend.

im only 26 its amazing i love somthing so much that was before my time.

Fantastic work there - I have a big soft spot for the B1 - just think the clean lines make it look amazing. As you said, it is a shame there are none left.

yes it is a damn shame, especially that the one at cosford was scraped so late as 85, and looking at the photos yes it got dirty bit it still looked strong. and as for xa903 at farnbough apparently no one wanted it as they all wanted b2s., but no b1s left. at first to most they look the same but there is a lot differnt about them,

i too have a soft spot for b1 the have a totaly differnt look to them than the b2 much smaller too.

no prototypes left either. thats a shame, i would like to see a full scale mock up b1 made for display in a museum,

mind you if i ever had enough money i would dream to put into production new vulcan b1s and b2 just for the joy of people seeing them fly and hearing the amazing volume generated.

you can dream eh.