Yet another Trafalgar + an Akula

Shar2

As a break from the Roberts and surface ship builds I thought I'd give the new Airfix Trafalgar a go on the workbench. A very nice little kit, but I don't think I'll go to the lenghts others have gone to depict the tiles as this is meant to be a quick easy build. Anyway, whilst in the submarine mood I bought my Alanger Akula class sub out of the stash to finish off at the same time as building the Trafalgar. Thought the following picture would be of interest to compare the relatively small size of Trafalgar when compared with the Akula and my old Typhoon.

IMG_1947.jpg

Edited by Shar2

Looks good Dave, makes you realise how small and compact our boats are.

I have the Bronco Seawolf in 1/350 scale and its considerably bigger than the

T class.

Hows the Alanger Akula, just ordered one from WEM?

Regards

Dan

The Akula kit seems even more basic than the Trafalgar. But it went together well with just a hint of filler. The addition of the small retractable motors makes it a little more interesting.

The Akula kit seems even more basic than the Trafalgar. But it went together well with just a hint of filler. The addition of the small retractable motors makes it a little more interesting.

Cheers Dave, it seems to be the only 1/350 Akula about? Right then best you get cracking on the masking on the T class, want to see tiles :winkgrin:

Edited by Dads203

Cheers Dave, it seems to be the only 1/350 Akula about? Right then best you get cracking on the masking on the T class, want to see tiles :winkgrin:

No, no, no not the tiles :frantic: We'll see, i'm masking up the Akula first.

Sure Dan, she's upside down at the moment having just had her anti-fouling done.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

Edited by Shar2

Cheers Dave, that looks a nice little kit, difficult to track down as well

seem to sold out everywhere.

Hoping WEM have them in stock.

Dan

I didn't realise it was so difficult to get hold of. I bought mine years ago, started it, got bored, stored it in the stash, and it was only getting the Trafalgar out that made me decide to finish the Akula.

Looking good so far! I'm on a Russian submarine mission at the moment. Ordered the Hobbyboss 1/700 Akula, Kilo, Oscar II and Typhoon from SBX a week or so ago. I hope they turn up soon - I'm itching to get started. Nearly started scratchbuilding a Papa class this afternoon but didn't have the right size pipe for the hull...

Looking good so far! I'm on a Russian submarine mission at the moment. Ordered the Hobbyboss 1/700 Akula, Kilo, Oscar II and Typhoon from SBX a week or so ago. I hope they turn up soon - I'm itching to get started. Nearly started scratchbuilding a Papa class this afternoon but didn't have the right size pipe for the hull...

Cool!, but I'll stick to 1/350th thanks, 1/700th is just too small for my poor eyesight :weep:

Is it finished yet Dave? :analintruder:

Not yet, I had a problem with painting the waterline, which is at a different point to where I would normally expect the waterline to be. The Trafalgar is dormant at the mo as I'm not sure whether to do tiles or not. I might do this one as newly built then one of the others in the stash with tiles missing.

Not yet, I had a problem with painting the waterline, which is at a different point to where I would normally expect the waterline to be. The Trafalgar is dormant at the mo as I'm not sure whether to do tiles or not. I might do this one as newly built then one of the others in the stash with tiles missing.

I think you need to do the tiles mate, it takes some time but makes the kit in my honest opinion.

Just use Tamiya tape rather than the Jammy Dodger tape that I used, It was real mare to get off after painting.

R's

Dan

I think you need to do the tiles mate, it takes some time but makes the kit in my honest opinion.

Just use Tamiya tape rather than the Jammy Dodger tape that I used, It was real mare to get off after painting.

R's

Dan

So, you want me to spend my precious day off tomorrow tiling the sub? :frantic: I suppose it'll make a change from decorating the house. BTW what size did you make the squares?

So, you want me to spend my precious day off tomorrow tiling the sub? :frantic: I suppose it'll make a change from decorating the house. BTW what size did you make the squares?

I tried to cut them 1mm x 1mm !! It's why I used the JD making tape as I have 1mm width, as i mentioned

it was a mare to get them off, I reckon about 600-700 I cut and placed on the kit ! :analintruder:

I tried to cut them 1mm x 1mm !! It's why I used the JD making tape as I have 1mm width, as i mentioned

it was a mare to get them off, I reckon about 600-700 I cut and placed on the kit ! :analintruder:

If not more !!

Some more done today. Unfortunately the decals hadn't faired very well over the time I've had this kit, so had to paint the waterline and hatch markings.

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Nice work Dave, The Akula is a very menacing looking boat,

more so than its western counterparts....

Mine turned up on Thursday, the kit decals are a bit shot as well, :confused:

So next up weathering then?

Dan

Nice work Dave, The Akula is a very menacing looking boat,

more so than its western counterparts....

Mine turned up on Thursday, the kit decals are a bit shot as well, :confused:

So next up weathering then?

Dan

Working on it now. :thumbsup2:

I'm considering this done. Not overly happy with it, but it has come out better than I though it would. Will put it RFI in a bit.

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Now that the Akula is finished I've started on the tiling of the Trafalgar. Slightly diferent method to Dan's excellent work, but I hope it have a similar effect at the end.

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

Looks like the start of something special Dave.

I think its best to start with the lighter colours first just as your doing,

for the rust effects I used some Lifecolour light and dark rust.

Keep up the good work.

R's

Dan