New 1:48th injection Gloster Gauntlet

John Aero

And the Sopwith Snipe, Bristol Bulldog and Gladiator! Yum Yum!

The website seems to be undergoing a re-vamp at the mo:

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/index.html

Cheers Rowan, got a couple of Airfix Fury's in the stash that could benefit from that sheet. Of course, it would be a shame to waste all the other decals on the sheet if I didn't have some kits in the stash to use them on... :whistle:

:lol: Good point, that could be a rather heady combination! :nuke:

Oi! Mike, Col, NO!

can't a soul be left alone to aimlessly meander down the little used highways and byeways of his tiny mind without these constant interruptions?

Bleedin nanny state. Sod off and put up some more "safety" cameras or no smoking signs or something....Grump grump waddle grump mutter grump......

Don't sniff glue anymore, not since the coke destroyed my nasal septum anyway. The only thing that goes up my nasal orifice nowadays is the odd cotton bud and a pair of garden shears I keep handy to trim the hairs which grow luxuriant therein. I've noticed (bit of a digression, but as no-one is reading this it won't matter...) that as I get older, orifice hair is getting out of control; up until yesterday it looked as if I had a couple of errant hampsters tunneling into my ears - up to yesterday because I had a haircut and my obliging barber trimmed their tails off, so now only I know I ve got syrian rodents in my ears.....

I'm off to do some gauntleting now, so no badgering for a bit, theres nice gentlemen.

Bye for now (copyright antipodean plastic fondlers pty)

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Bleedin nanny state. Sod off and put up some more "safety" cameras or no smoking signs or something....Grump grump waddle grump mutter grump......

Jeez Rowan, reading about it's bad enough without seeing your thought processes in action on camera as well! :sick:

Good luck with the rodent infestation by the way ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well now......

PROGRESS!!!!

Using the Eduard etched set for the Gladiator, as the Gauntlet was its predecessor and according to the info I have the internals of the Gauntlet were very simmilar to the Gladiator, I removed the Aeroclub moulded detail, cut out the port access door and set to. I nicked some bits (rudder pedal assembly, compass mount, basic throttle assembly - much modified) from the Roden Gladiator. Which will also furnish a number of other bits as the build progresses. The Instrument panel is from the Airwaves Gladiator set as the Gauntlet panel was flat and that of the Gladiator had angled sides - also the Eduard panel was too wide to fit into the thickly moulded Aeroclub fuselage...

On reflection I should have re-skinned the cockpit sides with 5 thou sheet.....nevermind, even with the door removed the opening is pretty small.

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

The fuselage framework was added from brass rod and the interior painted with Alclad aluminium and duralumin shades. Some refs state that the fuselage structural members would be in a black lacquer finish. I think that the predominating practice at Glosters ( after takeover by Hawker in c1934, at least) was for all internal components to be aluminium lacquered. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

These bigger-than-actual photos are very revealing and the results always seem worse than to the naked eye. They do say, though, that the camera never lies!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the good news is that the Gauntlet is coming on nicely. Most of the "easy bit" is done - painted and half-decaled. Steeling myself for the strutage and rigging.....cica 56 rigging holes to be drilled - broken two drills on the tail section already! Wish I had John 's new jig - as I have the original version it doesn't allow for the model to be picked up and inverted. As struts are white metal I know from past experience that I'm going to have to be careful during the rigging process. Why couldn't Glosters have designed it as a single bay - like the Gladiator?

Bad news is that my PC's mother board has gone tits up and so I'm without the software to upload any pics - using madame's work lap top fro my Britmodeller fix and can't find the camera software disc. Will take some photos for posting when the machine is fixed.

Here's the Colour scheme from Model Alliance's second silver wings sheet:

2_Gauntlet.jpg

Bad news about the PC, which is robbing us of your pics. Can't you just find a card reader, plug it into the lappie, and download the pics direct? I never bother with the custom camera software these days - a Sandisk multi-reader sits next to my PC, and I do as above. Now that Photoshop has RAW handling built in, it's even easier!

C'mon man... get those pics up! ^_^

Bad news about the PC, which is robbing us of your pics. Can't you just find a card reader, plug it into the lappie, and download the pics direct? I never bother with the custom camera software these days - a Sandisk multi-reader sits next to my PC, and I do as above. Now that Photoshop has RAW handling built in, it's even easier!

C'mon man... get those pics up! ^_^

Haven't got a card reader but am trying to download the software from the interweb - so far with no success as bleedin microsoft chose to piddle about with hotmail and I haven't been able to access my account since as I can't remember my password and in order to inform you of your old password they have to send you an email......Olympus have sent the download info to Madame's email address,but she's forgotten the pisswad and can't access the info from her work records because the server is down for weekend maintenance or something.

I hate effin computerisers!

Hope to get sorted tomorrow - work permitting. Don't hold your breath!

Not sure how, but I managed to download into Picasa...

So here we are, half decaled. Cowling and prop not glued- just hung on for the photos. Some more detail stuff to do (windscreen, aldis and ring and bead sigts, gun barrels etc.) and the u/c. Reasonably happy with the way its going. Was going to use the Vector Mercury, but it was, of course, too big for the thick cowling (being true to scale) so have gone with Aeroclub's very acceptable white metal jobbie. Cowling mounting spider not yet done. Will save the Vector engine for a cowling-off model!

Fabric is painted with Xtracolour High Speed Silver, anodised metal panels in Alclad dark alu and polished areas (machine gun bulges, tail metal areas and gun trough lips and panel on top of nose) in Bare Metal foil. Blue is Humbrol 25 - a good match for the roundel blue. The Model Alliance decals are brilliant, thin and very easy to float off the backing and react well to micro set/sol.

Oil cooler mat is cut down from the Eduard etched set for the Gladiator - very useful as there is a lot of comonality between it and the Gauntlet

Flash was a bit strong!

P1010065.jpg

so reverted to desk top light...

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Have also made a start on the Blue Max Sopwith Snipe -to be done as a silver post war one from the same decal sheet. As always these kits are a lot of work but really enjoyable. Another two bay job - I must be bonkers!!!

P1010083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I knew this bit of the forum was as popular as a fart in a space-suit, but I could do with some feedback, just to help things along, you understand......(thanks Mr explosive man, btw but I hoped Mike might have said something - particularly after his badgering about the photos - maybe it's just too awful and he's politely refraining from comment - though that would be a bit out of character.....).

Struggling with the struts as they are slightly mis-moulded - so front and rear edges have all got to be carefuly sanded and top and bottom wing fixing gloves are misaligned as well. Thought about making new ones from brass or plastic strut stock, but the distinctive gloves top and bottom would be impossible (for me at any rate) to replicate eight times. C/s struts have been replaced with brass as they don't have the gloves and will give some real strength to the cellule. All rigging holes drilled, so once struts are all done attaching the upper wing can commence......I'm scared!

I think this looks fecking great. I have never really been into biplanes but this looks so luverly I think I may have to acquire one and some of those gorgeous Model Alliance decals. Oh the wife will love this! :analintruder:

Well I knew this bit of the forum was as popular as a fart in a space-suit, but I could do with some feedback, just to help things along, you understand......

It's lovely, now crack on and let's see some more. ;)

Seriously, you should be on commission for this. We all want one now!

Yes, I am also eagerly awaiting your next installment. I had been looking for a review on this kit, and after seeing your build, I ordered it! Now I want to see how you deal with attaching the wing and rigging! Press on lad!

Cheers!

Doug

• 1 year later...
So here we are, half decaled.

That would be me after three pints of Greene King Abbot Reserve...

Your Gauntlet is coming along very nicely. Though I'm rather fond of 'tween-wars British aircraft, I've never really considered it as a modelling subject before now, but I daresay I'll change my mind. Something to pick up at Hornchurch perhaps.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Sorry Rowan, but this thread had escaped my attention by fair means or foul (fowl?) :blush:

I think it's looking groovy man... that zig-zag on the fuselage with the roundel over it looks odd to my symmetrical eyes (I have 2). :hmmm:

Looking great so far,that colour scheme is beautiful.

I did the aeroclub 72nd Gauntlet a couple of years ago

and wish I'd had the Aeroclub jig then, two bay wings

and big stagger angle made attaching the top wing

an exercise in patience to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I knew this bit of the forum was as popular as a fart in a space-suit, but I could do with some feedback, just to help things along, you understand......(thanks Mr explosive man, btw but I hoped Mike might have said something - particularly after his badgering about the photos - maybe it's just too awful and he's politely refraining from comment - though that would be a bit out of character.....).

I'm happy to give you some feedback Rowan it's a smashing job. Is it finished yet? Any pics? Are those decals still available?

Ed

Oh Crikeymoses.....

I'm being badgered. :analintruder: I thought you'd all forget about this one!

I had.

I dug it out the other day and, to be frank, wasn't awfully happy with it - my work, not the kit! If and when I get a chance I'll resume the battle but I'm a little preocupied with "other things" at the mo....

The transfers are from the scrumptious Model Alliance Silver Wings sheet no2 MA-157. A lovely sheet with loads of options:

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/decal...mier/MA-157.php

you'll also need their roundels sheet - can't see it on their website, but Hannantanants have some:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=ML489033

Mike's got symetricacal eyes, I see - that explains a lot.