Fleet Air Arm Super Hornet FA1

hovis

OK so I really should get myself ready for this.

Apologies in advance for any flaws in my storyline, but for my What-If to work I need a few things to happen. Anyway, here goes...

December 2010: Work on the F-35B, the V/STOL version of the Joint Strike Fighter comes to an abrupt halt after two fatal crashes within a week. The reason behind these crashes, both of which occurred during transition from forward flight to vertical landing, was found to be with the lift fan located behind the cockpit, and in particular the driveshaft linking it to the main engine. The solution, scientists found, was to use heavier, stronger materials which although would solve the problem, would also result in an aircraft, which is particularly heavy in the first place, being much heavier, and therefore not practical in it's role, as fuel load would be lessened and range seriously cut. Solutions would be found in time, with even more funding, and delivery dates were pushed back further.

In the UK, the Government weren't happy. Feelings in Westminster were to pull out entirely of the whole program, and cancel their order for 72 Royal Navy aircraft for the THREE new Carriers and 180 for the RAF. The Harriers were coming to the end of their life so something needed to be done.

The US Government, knowing how critical UK involvement was to the program, knew they had to act fast to keep their strongest allies on board.

The plan agreed by both sides involved, in the interim, the US supplying 'cover' aircraft to bridge the gap until the F-35B came safely online. It was agreed that the US would also provide funding to convert the UK's first new Carrier, the Queen Elizabeth, to catapult and arrestor wire operations, and that a squadron of F/A-18E Super Hornets would equip this ship.

February 2016: the first 801 Sqn Super Hornet FA mk1 arrives on board HMS Queen Elizabeth.....

Edited by hovis

Top man really looking forward to seeing the super bug in RAF colours

Russ

Nice idea and good back story, shame you picked 801sqn. May have to pick the banner up again for 800sqn as it never seems to get the recognition it deserves. :winkgrin:

Nice idea and good back story, shame you picked 801sqn. May have to pick the banner up again for 800sqn as it never seems to get the recognition it deserves. :winkgrin:

I may add that the actual squadron may be subject to change......... I had an idea of making my own black and white chequered decals for the tail, but hey, that's too easy :P

Same with the overall colour scheme, I'm trying to decide between a retro style a la EDSG over white (or sky) or an ordinary grey jet with colourful tails. :hmmm:

So we can expect a WIF build from you too then :)

Dan

So we can expect a WIF build from you too then :)

Dan

I'm seriously thinking about it. Just not sure what. Plus I haven't built an aircraft in ages.

OK I suppose I should start posting with this. I'll need to get my skates on as this might actually turn out to be a "What-When" rather than "-If"

First things first, the ever-present box shot-

0072-1.jpg

0092.jpg

Weapons sprue, most of which will be finding it's way into my spares box so there was really no reason to show it.... anyway.....

0122.jpg

In the process of research on this build, I came across a few people saying this particular kit is rubbish, but looking at the detail and how crisp the plastic looks, well, we'll see.

I know the IP is nothing like the real thing actually, and the seat's a bit basic. The IP will do, it's mostly hidden and anyway, I can put it down to what-if the Brits fitted their own :)

As I was saying, the seat is very basic, so I thought I'd modify it up a wee bit. Nothing too fancy, I'm not that good, but I think one area the Brits would change with this would be the bang seat. Therefore I'm making a Martin-Baker Mk 10J (if that doesn't already exist).

Progress so far...

First pic shows the seat with mods just begun, compared with another seat very similar to what I started with.

007.jpg

Plastic card and filler to bulk out the head box of the seat. You can see in the background too the air intakes built up. This is a strange kit as in you don't just stick two halves of the thing together. Instead you first build the intakes, which then get added to underside rear, then there's the topside front which you put the cockpit into, and finally the nose and underside front, and all these get added together to form the basic airframe. You'll see what I mean from the pics.

Seat, pit, two intakes and the nose with weight added in amongst the cocktail sticks.

005.jpg

Edited by hovis

OK, so a little more twiddling with the seat and I arrive with this (in the wee small hours of this morning)

010.jpg

Forgive the quality of the pics btw, I have two cameras and a pretty good mobile phone camera and these are the best I can get with any of them.

011.jpg

Two intakes built and added to the rear underside fuselage.

014.jpg

I must say, I like the level of detail on this kit. Lovely panel lines, decent detail in the wheel wells and even has the engine fans way at the back of the intakes. (Can't be seen - I tried to take a pic but no joy). So far I've not come upon any bad gaps, in fact only the intakes have needed a touch of filler. The kit seems to fit very well, although I'd say the intakes do require a bit of modelling nous, they're a bit fiddley, but they end up looking good. :)

012.jpg

See? I tried... :P

Right then, pit fitted...

009-1.jpg

Yes yes I'll be tidying up the paintwork with those belts...!!

The seat isn't glued in place yet but just fitted to see how it looks. I'm a bit worried if my modifications to the seat's headbox will prevent the canopy from closing.... :hmmm:

Maybe I'll just have the canopy open...

013.jpg

Last pic for the time being. I tried to 'busy up' the rear parcel shelf (I added three strands of wire in other words).

Then looking around the 'net for pics of this location, it seems it's more of a flexible cover, so a bit of liquid filler scraped around with a blunt cocktail stick will hopefully give me a sort of 'flexible cover' effect. I'll see when I paint it.

BTW the above picture clearly shows the Fisher-Price switches fitted by the FAA to replace all those fiddley wee buttons and stuff.....

Edited by hovis

BTW the above picture clearly shows the Fisher-Price switches fitted by the FAA to replace all those fiddley wee buttons and stuff.....

Lmao comin on nice tho :speak_cool:

Russ

Really looking forward to this one. :clap2:

Problem is you may get banned from this GB...?

After the reports in the news going around the last 24 hours or so, this may not be a WHIF anymore...!! :D

Really looking forward to this one. :clap2:

Problem is you may get banned from this GB...?

After the reports in the news going around the last 24 hours or so, this may not be a WHIF anymore...!! :D

Agreed - but dont let that stop you !!

Ian