Nieuport 17

Madmonk

This is looking really good mate.

A pity you only had cotton to use for the rigging.

Looking forward to seeing this finished, but, as Mish says, take you time as you don't want to spoil it now.

Deacon

Had chance to have another look at the wing tonight and think I have sorted it. I fitted the spar to the bottom wing then was trying to line up 6 holes, I have now attached them to the top wing and the four holes line uo much easier. Will let the glue dry over night before finally putting the top wing on.

Also abandoned the cotton and will get hold of some fishing line, plenty of fishing lakes round here so should not be too difficult to get hold of.

Cheers,

Warren

What you need for the rigging is Monofilament fishing line, about 2 lb breaking strain or 0.10 to 0.12mm thick, when you've put your rigging run in as tight as you can get it, you heat a pin up in a candle and move it up and down under the wire and the wire will shrink tight, BUT go careful or too much heat or too close and you will melt through the wire and you will have to start again. HTH.

Pete

Got the fishing line this lunchtime so a couple of hours of swearing and cursing tonight then, and hopefully some model building as well!

Not going well, the 17 is now back in about 17 pieces as I have had to dismantle it to get the rigging on.

Whilst trying to put it back together one of the wing struts snapped and now has a slight kink in it.

Leaving it now till tomorrow else it will be in more bits, or worse, the spares box!

Noooooooooooooo. It was going so well.

It would be a great pity not to have this build in the finished gallery mate, especially after all your hard work.

Deacon

Guys,

I left it alone last night as I found myself trying to rush it. there are still 4 days left of the GB so I glued the main parts back together and left it overnight for the glue to cure. Most of the rigging is attached at one end so hopefully just needs stretching and gluing at the other end.

It will be in the showcase, even if I have to build a diorama of a crashed one!!

Thanks for encouragement.

Warren

Guys,

After a short while tonight the 17 is back together and is now 60% rigged. Just have the wheel rigging and tail plane to do once the glue has dried.

Fingers crossed it will be posted in the showcase on Thursday.

103_6962.jpg

Guess Mish and Deacon talk a bit of sense every now and then!!

Goodnight.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Madmonk

Guess Mish and Deacon talk a bit of sense every now and then!!

You must have me confused with someone else. :D

The rigging looks cracking and is the icing on the cake mate.

Deacon

Finally there, a weekend kit that took almost 2 weeks and a man's sanity!!

The kit itself is very nice, easy to build and good instructions, the downfall for me was the rigging, I have done it once now so next time I will be prepared. It needs thinking about, personally I would plan for it earlier as waiting till the end meant dismantling it and drilling holes, in the end it worked and I am pleased with the out come.

I have added a subtle amount of weathering, just trying to pick out the ribs and angles with some light earth pigments, unfortunately the aluminium finish gives a bright reflection and you loose the weathering.

All in all well worth the £7 invested, will now look out for a detailed Eduard kit and try one of those, one with not so much rigging.

Looking thru the gallery I have nothing but praise for those who have posted aircraft with miles of rigging, all I can say is you must have the patience of a saint!

Again thanks for looking and for all the encouragement.

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1007.jpg

More pics in gallery.

Warren

Lovely little Nieuport. Good silver doped finish. Biplanes are fun to build aren't they! :wall:

They can be challenging and frustrating, especially the rigging, but ultimately satisfying when they turn out as good as this. You've done a nice job with that and I don't think anyone can actually build a weekender kit in a weekend.

Ed