.... for Bastille Day

Dassault Rafale M, 14 Flotille, French Navy, FS Charles de Gaulle

Continuing, in a loose way, my WW2 Anniversaries theme, Marcel Bloch, leading French Aircraft designer and founder of Dassault Aviation became a "resistant" in 1940. When the occupying Germans realised he was systematically sabotaging any attempt to use his designs, he fled occupied France for the Vichy south, where he was imprisoned for his trouble, ending up in the Nazi's Buchenwald concentration camp.

After the war, Marcel changed his family name to "Dassault", in honour of his brother, General Darius Bloch, whose secret resistance codename was "Char D'assault (tank). That proud name, born out of the French Resistance movement of 70 years ago, now adorns one of Europe and indeed the world's leading aircraft companies, whose current flagship product is the beautiful Dassault Rafale.

P6230251.jpg

Italeri's kit is based on the prototype Rafale. However, the required changes for a present day aircraft seem to be minimal, and this is a nicely moulded and detailed kit, albeit one with very few parts and with raised panel lines (not many though)!

I have built this one effectively "out the box", although I have added some different decals to represent an aircraft in service and I have fitted an AM39 Exocet anti-ship missile on the centre pylon. Pylon configuration isn't quite right for an M, the optical turret on the nose and the flare launcers at the rear of the wing root are missing, and Italeri would have you place some of the sensors on the wrong place, but otherwise, its definitely a Rafale!

P6230253.jpg

Not much more I can say really; a nice kit of a very elegant modern aircraft!

FredT :)

P6230254.jpg

P6230255.jpg

P6230259.jpg

Edited by gengriz

As you probably know I much prefer the Tiffie.

Surely not Daz: "Tiffies" are OK, but who can resist such a beautiful French Lady! :innocent: :

P7100021.jpg

P7100029.jpg

P7100026.jpg

Edited by gengriz

Hello,

Sweet little Rafale, Gen ...

And thanks for the Bastille Day comemoration;)

One little thing, though : the Exocet in centerline might have been seen for display but it is not an operational thing to date. There is, on the center line, very often if not always, a gas bag.

This does not remove anything to the quality of your model, of course.

Best

Stef (#6), constant froggy on duty