RAF Sidewinder Usage

Hi All,

Does anyone know when the RAF introduced the different variants of Sidewinders? I'm currently trying to decide the loadout for an early 1970's FGR2 (in Green/Grey) but I'm finding conflicting information as to whether it should be a B,D,E or L....

The only clear photo I can find is this:

xv484%20RAF.jpg

The winders appear to be Aim-9L's, but they weren't in service until '82, about a decade after the period I'm going for...

Can anyone shed some light? Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also, if anyone has a good closeup shot of the mounting on the rails that they can share that would be really useful!

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by Flying Penguin

Does anyone know when the RAF introduced the different variants of Sidewinders? I'm currently trying to decide the loadout for an early 1970's FGR2 (in Green/Grey) but I'm finding conflicting information as to whether it should be a B,D,E or L....

The RAF and FAA may have had a small number of AIM-9Bs for trials purposes, but the first variant in operational service was the -9G. The first -9Ls came in to service during the Falklands war.

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!

As I understand it, the G was a direct derivative of the D (with E and F being separate development branches), would there be any significant external differences between the two? I can't find a weapons set in 48th with the G specifically..

Regards,

Jamie

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!

As I understand it, the G was a direct derivative of the D (with E and F being separate development branches), would there be any significant external differences between the two? I can't find a weapons set in 48th with the G specifically..

Regards,

Jamie

There was an article on the AIM-9 Sidewinder variants in the November 2001 issue of Fine Scale Modeller. According to that the AIM-9G was essentially identical to the AIM-9D, the difference being that the G had Sidewinder Expanded Acquistion Mode (SEAM). Basically this allowed the pilot to 'slave' the missile's seeker to the aircraft's rader.

In addition, the AIM-9H is identical to the G except that the H had more reliable solid-state electronics.

There isn't any external difference between the AIM-9D and AIM-9G, it was internal things like the rocket motor and warhead size. The AIM-9G had also been upgraded with SEAM (Sidewinder Expanded Acquisition Mode) but, again, that was an internal modification. For the Vietnam War MiG killer Phantoms that I have built I have had to modify the Sidewinders to look like AIM-9Ds, however the Revell F-16A "Tigermeet" kit has four AIM-9D/G Sidewinders included with it, they are what I used for 'Taproom 307', the most recent F-4 MiG killer I built.

Edited by silverkite211

Quick tutorial on the Sidewinder:

All are basically a nine- or ten-foot tube with trapezoidal wings at the rear. The main differences are up the front.

AIM-9B - original model. Cylindrical nose section with a near-flat seeker head; small, barely swept triangular fins. USAF and USN.

AIM-9C/D - short tapered nose (like the business end of a ballpoint pen), slightly larger but still barely swept triangular fins. The C was radar-homing (and became the AGM-122 Sidearm), while the D was IR-homing. USN only.

AIM-9E - cylindrical forebody with long tapered nose (the longest of the Sidewinders). Developed from the B with a wide-angle seeker; fins as B. USAF only.

AIM-9F - not used.

AIM-9G/H - externally identical to the D, developed from it with improved seeker (G) and solid-state electronics (H). Fins as C/D. G for USN, H for USAF.

AIM-9J/N - shorter cylindrical forebody with shorter tapered nose when compared with E; new fins with triangular inner portion and swept rectangular outer portion (very distinctive once you've seen 'em). Solid-state electronics, rebuilt from B or E. USAF only.

AIM-9L/M - nose similar to C/D/G/H but new fins with double delta shape. All-aspect seeker (L) plus better motor (M). First since the B to be used by both USAF and USN.

AIM-9P - externally identical to the J, but with better motor and fuse. Either rebuilt from earlier models or new-build. USAF only.

AIM-9R - externally similar to the L but with video-based seeker. Protoypes only, for USN.

AIM-9X - cropped fins and wings, thrust-vectoring, improved seeker. USAF and USN.

Which type export countries used depended largely on the aircraft they'd bought. So, for instance, RAF and RN Phantoms used the AIM-9G because they'd been developed from USN Phantoms. The AIM-9L could be attached to anything in principle but wasn't cleared for export to all countries, and a lot that could have used it ended up with the AIM-9J - for instance, Spanish Mirage F1s.

A selection from my stash:

Airfix Buccaneer 1/48 - one AIM-9L

Airfix Nimrod 1/72 - four AIM-9L

Tamiya F4D-1 1/48 - two AIM-9B

Hobby Boss A-10A 1/48 - two AIM-9L

Fonderie F11F-1 - two AIM-9B (well, sort of)

Tamiya F-14A 1/32 - four AIM-9G

Hasegawa F-104G 1/32 - two AIM-9B (again, sort of)

Hasegawa F-4B or J 1/48 - four AIM-9D/G (not all kits)

Hasegawa RF-4B 1/48 - four AIM-9B (beats me why)

Tamiya F-15E 1/32 - four AIM-9L

Hobby Boss F-18C 1/48 - two AIM-9L

Hasegawa F-5E 1/32 - two AIM-9B (as F-104)

Hasegawa A-7E - two AIM-9D/G

Airfix Jaguar 1/48 - two AIM-9L

Hasegawa weapons set C contains four each of AIM-9B, AIM-9D/G/H, AIM-9E, AIM-9J/N/P and AIM-9L/M

Edited by pigsty

There are pictures of Supermarine Scimitars carrying Sidewinders - I guess B model as this was in the fifties, so it was probably more tha a trial as they were used at squadron level.

There are pictures of Supermarine Scimitars carrying Sidewinders - I guess B model as this was in the fifties, so it was probably more tha a trial as they were used at squadron level.

The From the Cockpit book on the Scimitar has a bit about their use of the AIM-9B - the Sea Harrier is often quoted as being first equipped with 'B' models, but photos show them carrying D/G versions

Some more kits with sidewinders, in 1/48

Hasegawa F-4N - 4 x 9Ds, 4 x 9Bs

Tamiya F-16C - 2 x 9M, 2 x 9X

Academy F-15E, the new ones - 4 x 9Ms, 4 x 9X ( the K and I just have the X ray)

Hasegawa and Revell F-4E/F, 4 x 9J/N, fins might need a bit of work though.

Kinetic / Italeri F-16 family- 4 x 9M, 4 x 9X

With a few of these kits, you quickly build a weapons dump providing easy arming for loading up those kits that have few or no weapons. For example, some of the 9Ms will go onto my post 1977 Navy Phantoms, some Tomcats and Hornets will get the rest

Joel