Keef's attempt - Aer Lingus Connie

keefr22

He is/was?! Old age catch up with you G - you forgotten who you are.....??!! :P

NMF is now done & dry on the Connie (lurching back onto topic!!) Got to pluck up the energy & mask it all off for the white now!!

And G, why not enter the GB with that Czech 'bus??!! You'll have nearly a month to get it done!!

K

Had trouble with my login from work so had to create a new login.

The czech bus has had windows filled and sanded. Will try and get it built as the decals are really nice and I flew on one last week and CSA even managed to find my suitcase and get it back to me!

G

Edited by gav

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally made some progress on this thing. Don't know why, but it really hasn't grabbed my interest. Maybe because as a supposedly 'state of the art' new release it has its fair share of fit issues - they don't bother me, but I don't expect to be doing the same amount of fiddling on a new mainstream injection kit as on some obscure limited run jobbie (on which, when I'm expecting problems I actually enjoy sorting them out - this kit has had the opposite effect!!)

Anyway, she's now fully painted. I used Games Workshop Mithral silver with oversprays of Chainmail & Boltgun in order to try & get an overall weathered NMF finish on it. The walkways are the Tamiya grey primer & the walkway lines & de-icer boots were hand painted with GW black. The white top is Zero paints brilliant white which I've cut back with Tamiya finish compound to give a finish I hope will be smooth enough for the decals. We'll soon find out, as I'm off to start putting the stickers on it now!

Here's some pretty grotty pics as there's only pretty grotty light here today due to the pretty grotty weather!!

009-1.jpg

007-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

005.jpg

That's all folks.....

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Cheers guys! Bit of a disaster in the decal department though. I'd not used Max decals before so I 'tested' them by using the Connie flightdeck decals on my scrap test model. They worked perfectly. However, when I put the port cheatline into water it broke up into about a dozen pieces. Managed to get it together jigsaw fashion, but its going to need a bit of patching with some of the spare green bits on the sheet. I'd also cut out one of the Irish flags for the centre fin, & the same thing happened to that. So I've given the sheet a good coat of Microscale liquid decal film & am leaving it dry overnight. Fingers crossed it works tomorrow......

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Best of luck! I had some minor issues with the larger Emirates decals on my big bus - these were from TwoSix. Thin decals are great, but these were a little *too* thin. A coat of Klear on the decal sheet worked wonders in keeping them together.... those tail decals are HUGE!

OK, I'm calling this done. The decals worked OK'ish after the application of decal film, but the window decals were (are!) horrible. They were horrible to put on & look horrible now! I don't like window decals at the best of time, but when they're printed in mid blue they look particularly naff! On Thursday I didn't think I'd get it finished for the deadline, as after I'd sprayed the exhaust stains on I realised I'd done two from each engine on the top of the wings, while there should only be one (there's two exhaust under the wing, but not on top!!) So some frantic masking & respraying had to happen yesterday, & that's when I usually manage to c*ck something up - but apart from breaking off three prop blades I got away with it! Not a particularly enjoyable build (maybe it was just me!) but I quite like the finished result!

Here's some pics, I'll try to get some daylight ones tomorrow (if we get any daylight tomorrow that is.....!!! :raincloud: )

005-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Some more in the finished gallery.

Just have to make a base for her now. And maybe repaint those damn windows......!!! :D

Thanks for looking!

Keef

OK, I'm calling this done. The decals worked OK'ish after the application of decal film, but the window decals were (are!) horrible. They were horrible to put on & look horrible now! I don't like window decals at the best of time, but when they're printed in mid blue they look particularly naff! On Thursday I didn't think I'd get it finished for the deadline, as after I'd sprayed the exhaust stains on I realised I'd done two from each engine on the top of the wings, while there should only be one (there's two exhaust under the wing, but not on top!!) So some frantic masking & respraying had to happen yesterday, & that's when I usually manage to c*ck something up - but apart from breaking off three prop blades I got away with it! Not a particularly enjoyable build (maybe it was just me!) but I quite like the finished result!

Here's some pics, I'll try to get some daylight ones tomorrow (if we get any daylight tomorrow that is.....!!! :raincloud: )

005-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Some more in the finished gallery.

Just have to make a base for her now. And maybe repaint those damn windows......!!! :D

Thanks for looking!

Keef

Could print up some windows on the PC in black to the right size? Wot size are they?

would look better than the blue!

BTW, I got the E-2 in easily. The fake price tag helped! Will have to keep it for future use!

G

AAAAH

That brings back memories....

well, actually, I was a toddler at the time, so I don't remember it either, but it has a certain classic look that the later BAC 1-11's and Boeings just don't have.

Nice to see the shamrock there too!

Philip

Very nice. I'm not a big fan of airliners (toothpaste tubes with wings) but tthree attract my interest. One is the Concorde, another is the DH Comet and the third is the Super Constellation.

You've done a cracking job and I hope to see her soon.