Thinning Mr Surfacer

Seahawk

Despite being securely capped, my Mr Surfacer 500 has adopted the consistency of melted toffee. Has anyone had any success in thinning it? If so, using what? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Edited by Seahawk

Despite being securely capped, my Mr Surfacer 500 has adopted the consistency of melted toffee. Has anyone had any success in thinning it? If so, using what? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Yep, I have used the Gunze thinners to do this and I think Tamiya thinners are similar. Failing that a touch of cellulose thinners should do it but they are rather hot.

• 8 years later...

Serious thread resurrection here. Nine years on and the same questions coming up.

Anyway, given my tendency to flirt with modelling on and off it is inevitable that when I do return to the hobby after a lengthy hiatus I find that various glues, fillers and other liquid based products have gone wrong.

This time I've found that barely used jars of Mr Surfacer 500, 1000 and 1200 are looking a bit dry to say the least. And my Mr Dissolved Putty is too. So I poured a bit of Mr Color Thinner into the 500 jar and it did return it to a more liquid consistency. However, I started thinking that I can't recall what consistency it has new and whether by under or over thinning it wouldn't behave/perform as it should.

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this matter? I would like to try and avoid binning them and buying new jars as they're not exactly cheap.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Filler said:

Serious thread resurrection here. Nine years on and the same questions coming up.

Anyway, given my tendency to flirt with modelling on and off it is inevitable that when I do return to the hobby after a lengthy hiatus I find that various glues, fillers and other liquid based products have gone wrong.

This time I've found that barely used jars of Mr Surfacer 500, 1000 and 1200 are looking a bit dry to say the least. And my Mr Dissolved Putty is too. So I poured a bit of Mr Color Thinner into the 500 jar and it did return it to a more liquid consistency. However, I started thinking that I can't recall what consistency it has new and whether by under or over thinning it wouldn't behave/perform as it should.

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this matter? I would like to try and avoid binning them and buying new jars as they're not exactly cheap.

I guess you can over thin them for brush painting but they have to thinned for airbrush use anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. If you can get some use out of your old pots without having to buy new then anything's a bonus.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

I have successfully thinned Mr Surfacer 500 with isopropyl alcohol. It had gone rather gloopy in the jar and I managed to get it to a consistency just a fraction thicker than a newly opened tin of Humbrol. It was fine for brushing over seams and sanding down although I noticed it showed a little more "grain" than the original product. 

Dave G

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Color Leveling Thinner every time.    Also sprays a treat with it.

Regards

Tim

Been away a bit so sorry for not replying before. Thanks for all the suggestions. Contemplating spraying some today as a primer. Also have some of that Stylenrez stuff too, so decision time.