Best match for FS 30140

Jens

I am currently in the process of painting a couple of my aggressor F-5Es. One of the schemes uses the same colours as the Asia Minor scheme seen on Iranian F-4s, F-14s, F-5s etc., i.e. FS 34079, 30400 and 30140. I have the two first colours sorted out as Xtracolor produces both. However, FS 30140 is very hard to find, and I am honestly surprised it hasn't been issued by Xtracolor a long time ago.

So, can any of you point me to a good match for FS 10140, 20140 or 30140?

TIA,

Jens

Edit: Perhaps I should mention that I prefer enamels... :)

Edited by Jens

Hi Jens,

For 30140 you could try Humbrol 119, Vallejo 825, Vallejo Model Air 35, Model Color 144, Tamiya XF52, Life Color UA085, Gunze Sangyo H66, Revell 32381 or Revell Aqua Color 36381.

This is the site I use for my paint conversions .....

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/pai...20100101a.html#

Thanks Chris! I was looking for that site earlier today without success.

I have just seen RAL 8025 mentioned as a possible match too. I think I will try to find a real colour chip of RAL 8025 and match it to my FS chip.

Humbrol 119 is way off if you ask me. :)

Regards,

Jens

AFAIK there is no off the shelf match in any model paint line to 30140. I mixed mine from Tamiya paints (for an upcoming Alaska aggressor F-16C - NOT in black, white, & grey like everybody else's!).

J

F-16lizard.jpg

My hope was that there was a colour that matches FS 30140, although perhaps not identified as that colour. Model Master actually has it in their spray can line, but I don't think they are available here in Denmark.

Regards,

Jens

I've ran into the the same problem, got quite a few aggressor/adversary sheets that specify 30140. As Jennings says, there is no readily available 30140. My plan was to mix and match paints to one of the Fightertown adversary Hornet sheets as some of the markings on there are printed in a colour matched to 30140 so should be pretty close.

Thanks Chris! I was looking for that site earlier today without success.

I have just seen RAL 8025 mentioned as a possible match too. I think I will try to find a real colour chip of RAL 8025 and match it to my FS chip.

Humbrol 119 is way off if you ask me. :)

Regards,

Jens

My hope was that there was a colour that matches FS 30140, although perhaps not identified as that colour. Model Master actually has it in their spray can line, but I don't think they are available here in Denmark.

Regards,

Jens

RAL 8025 is a very good visual match for 10140. Not sure that helps much though!

John

I just finished a Tomcat and used the following mix

Dark Brown FS30140 Humbrol #186 and #119 (3 to 1 mix)

judge for yourself

Very nice indeed! I have had my eyes on Humbrol 186 too, but your mix sounds like a much better match!

RAL 8025 is a very good visual match for 10140. Not sure that helps much though!

John

It does if Revell makes it - and if I can find it. ;)

Regards,

Jens

I was sure I had this somewhere!

30140-1.jpg

30140-2.jpg

I don't think it has been opened, but it's the best part of 26 years old. You're welcome to it if it would be of use.

John

I was sure I had this somewhere!

I don't think it has been opened, but it's the best part of 26 years old. You're welcome to it if it would be of use.

John

It sure would John, thanks. PM inbound!

Regards,

Jens

Edited by Jens

Thanks Nick!

Any chance you could calculate the difference between Humbrol 186 and FS 30140?

Regards,

Jens

Sure. As it happens I have samples of 186 which I've been using iro some Japanese colours. It also usefully demonstrates the differences between paint batches. Two tins - a "Super Enamel" tin (SE) and a recent but pre-Hornby tin (RT).

Humbrol 186 SE (3.5 YR 3.7/4.2) difference to 30140 (6.4 YR 4.2/2.7) @ 6.83 where < 2.0 = close match; closest FS 20117 @ 0.97; closest RAL 8002 @ 2.23

Humbrol 186 RT (4.2 YR 3.7/4.6) difference to 30140 (6.4 YR 4.2/2.7) @ 7.47 where < 2.0 = close match; closest FS 20117 @ 1.39; closest RAL 8024 @ 2.36

Browns are tricky but Humbrol 186 is in FS 20117 territory all the way so is a good contender for painting your 1/32nd scale Special Edition 47th IFC Ki-44!

HTH

Nick

Thanks again Nick! I got hold of the Revell 381 (RAL 8025) and a tin of Hornby Humbrol 186 today. The Humbrol tin is obviously a no-go, but I will make a paint sample of the Revell colour. I am still thrilled about the old tin John is going to send me, so that one's the one I'm going to use.

Regards,

Jens

lucky jens!

this color [FS30140] is one of the colors needed for two bobs decals 'wrap around thuds' sheet. i took pot luck in the end.

btw, the compucolor pot WILL require a very good stir when you get it from john and MAY take quite a while to be utterly dry. this

was the experience i had recently when using their PRU mauve paint, however it covers nicely.

lucky jens!

this color [FS30140] is one of the colors needed for two bobs decals 'wrap around thuds' sheet. i took pot luck in the end.

btw, the compucolor pot WILL require a very good stir when you get it from john and MAY take quite a while to be utterly dry. this

was the experience i had recently when using their PRU mauve paint, however it covers nicely.

That's a very fair comment. I still use these paints but they do need stirred thoroughly and will take the full 6 hours to dry - I usually leave them at least overnight. You also run the risk of matt paints drying semi-gloss without a good stir. Unopened pots may well be a bit more amenable though.

John

Two possible leads. David Klaus' "IPMS Color (sic) Cross Reference Guide" gives the following as matched by -0140:

- French post-war Chestnut Brown as used on Super Mysteres: source is Ian Huntley's article on "Modern French Colours 1970-1986" in SAM Vol 9/9 (June 87).

- Italian WW2 Marrone Mimetico 1. However source is an old Modelaid magazine (Remember them? Used to include printed cockpit interiors.) of which he says: "I have found many, many problems and errors in Modelaid's colour data, so use with caution".

No warranty offered on whether either is right.

Nick

lucky jens!

That's a very fair comment. I still use these paints but they do need stirred thoroughly and will take the full 6 hours to dry - I usually leave them at least overnight. You also run the risk of matt paints drying semi-gloss without a good stir. Unopened pots may well be a bit more amenable though.

John

I imagine a good stir is required after more than 20 years on the shelf. ;) My plan is to stir it and then shake it several times before using it. Question is whether I can use MM airbrush thinner to thin it.

Two possible leads. David Klaus' "IPMS Color (sic) Cross Reference Guide" gives the following as matched by -0140:

- French post-war Chestnut Brown as used on Super Mysteres: source is Ian Huntley's article on "Modern French Colours 1970-1986" in SAM Vol 9/9 (June 87).

- Italian WW2 Marrone Mimetico 1. However source is an old Modelaid magazine (Remember them? Used to include printed cockpit interiors.) of which he says: "I have found many, many problems and errors in Modelaid's colour data, so use with caution".

No warranty offered on whether either is right.

Nick

Thanks Nick. I have that (old) colour guide but it wasn't to much help this time I'm afraid - except for confirming that this colour isn't produced by most companies.

Also if you have access to the Polly Scale line, it is available: http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TS5372

As 'US Brown Special'

Thanks Matt. I do prefer enamels though. I don't really have that much experience with acrylics. :)

Regards,

Jens