Omani Jaguar

rdxtnt

Thanks very much for your kind comments gents. Have been cracking on a bit in the last few days and have managed to get most of the wraparound camo onto the main fuselage. Had a few bits of overspray to take care of afterwards but nothing too depressing. Anyway, a couple of hundred blue-tack "sausages" and around a thousand metres of Tamiya masking tape later here is the latest progress :D

csc_0007.jpg

Have also painted the black anti-glare panel on the nose.

csc_0023.jpg

It all looks very pristine at the moment but am hoping I can draw it together more at the weathering stage.

dsc_0022.jpg

Am going to do a bit on the wings next............... fit the flaps and slats, add some wingtip lights and a few other bits of detailing and then hopefully will be able to get the wings fitted.

Thanks for the encouraging words girls and boys. A bit more progress and a few more pics for you. Have got the wing wraparound painted and a protective coat of Klear brushed onto the whole model.

jag004.jpg

The wings and stabilators are not glued on yet............ just put in place for the photo's.

jag006.jpg

Made some wingtip lights from scrap clear sprue and filed and polished them to shape. Have yet to paint them red for port and green for stbd. using Tamiya clear colours. You can just about see them on this shot............ they're not that big!

jag001.jpg

Confession time....... I decided to do a few of the panel lines on the fuselage (just to see what they looked like!) whilst waiting for the wings to dry and ended up doing just about all the fuselage. Well you know what it's like when you're enjoying yourself! I mixed a small amount of Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna artists oil paints straight from the tube and applied them a bit at a time to the panel lines with a small brush. Then it was simply a case of wiping off the excess with a clean piece of kitchen towel. The gloss surface makes it easy to remove and any bits that look a bit too dark can be carefully wiped with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit. A word of warning......... never try this method on a matt surface as it will totally change the colour of your base coat.

jagpaint.jpg

Front view.

jag002.jpg

Starboard side. The brown wraparound on the fuselage has been toned down in places with a lighter shade of Dark Earth to add a bit of variety and give a more weathered appearance. I haven't done the wing yet.

jag003.jpg

Paragon engine nozzles painted and installed. The fuselage seam in that area will be concealed under the arrestor hook so I didn't put too much effort into erradicating that particular bit.

jag007.jpg

Finally a view of the underside camo.

jag008.jpg

Next job will be to fit and clean up the wings and add some detail to the main wheel bays.I'm quite pleased with the amount of work I've managed to get done during the hols but it's back to work tomorrow so normal service will no doubt be resumed! Thanks for looking and any constructive comments would be more than welcome.

Gary :)

That's totally gorgeous, it looks good enough to eat man !

There's a good variation of Jags been done and they don't get much beter than this......and boy it's not even finished yet :o

lovin' it already Gary.

That's totally gorgeous, it looks good enough to eat man !

There's a good variation of Jags been done and they don't get much beter than this......and boy it's not even finished yet :o

lovin' it already Gary.

Thanks Graham. My builds have a habit of quickly going into a terminal nosedive though so I'm holding my breath.

now that is a brave stab at a hard camo scheme- EXCELLENT

Hope my Saudi tonka comes out as well as this

Ed

Thanks Ed. A Saudi Tonka eh? Now that is a thing of beauty!

As all my previous posts on this thread will testify Gary, truely love this build.

Question - what made you decide to progress so far into the paint work without adding the wing section - do you think you have got away with a very good fit? I ask because I know that join can need some work to hide the join (as Eric would say)

Cheers

As all my previous posts on this thread will testify Gary, truely love this build.

Question - what made you decide to progress so far into the paint work without adding the wing section - do you think you have got away with a very good fit? I ask because I know that join can need some work to hide the join (as Eric would say)

Cheers

Hi Gary, thanks for your kind words. As for the wings, I decided to try it this way because the wraparound camo is fairly complicated and I wanted to try and get a nice consistent edge to it. It seemed easier access wise to do it this way rather than with the wings attached as well. The wings are not actually fitted as of yet but I'm going to take my time and get as flush a fit as possible especially on the upper surface.I did a bit of work dry-fitting them before I started any of the painting and they seem a fairly good fit. I appreciate the wing join is going to take a fair bit of cleaning up and that I will lose quite a bit of the paintwork around the join but my plan is to mask-up most of the paintwork around the area on the upper surface to prevent too much damage during the sanding process and then just touch up the affected areas. The main area of work is going to be on the upper surface as I'm going to do the gap underneath using the PVA glue and wet finger method. Time will probably show this plan to be a complete load of tosh but we shall see :D

Hmmmm.... missed most of this! :rolleyes: Looks rather nice, and that camo is very smart too :thumbsup:

That wing joint's going to marr quite a bit of paintwork, I suspect, but as long as the underside is ok, that's not the end of the world, I guess. I've fitted the wings to mine now, and they have taken quite a bit of filling so far. There seems to be a bit of a dip in the spine too, which is taking some eradication. whether this is a peculiarity of my kit's moulding, or a general thing, I'll have to check, but it's right by the big intake on the top, so I'm having to be very careful.

Gary,

superb quality workmanship on this one mate. I am a bit biast towards RAF Jags but I do like this scheme very much on your model. You can tell she'll be stonking when she's all finished. Keep up the good work!

Regards

Andy :)

• 1 month later...

Haven't been in the right frame for modelling during the last few days so thought I'd use the time to post my latest progress.

csc_0045.jpg

I must admit I was starting to worry that I'd done the wrong thing by leaving the wing attachment until so late in the build but I've managed to beat it into submission (I think!) It helped a lot adding the fuselage cross-braces as it left hardly any gap underneath to deal with. Had a fair amount of touching up to do on the upper wing and a bit of rescribing lost detail.

csc_0037.jpg

Most of the decals are now in place, not that there are a lot on this one! Just a small badge on the fin and Arabic/English numerals on fuselage sides and nosewheel door. All very tactical :ninja:

csc_0028.jpg

The rest of the decals are all from the kit with a few bits from the spares box.

csc_0022.jpg

Black strips were added to leading edges of wings, stabilator, fin, strakes and intake lips. I also made a pair of intake blanks which I'm quite pleased with as I think they provide a nice contrast against the camo scheme.

csc_0032.jpg

The correct model of Sidewinder was provided by a Hasegawa weapons set. Safety pins and flags will be added at the end.

csc_0030.jpg

View of underside camo scheme. Chaff and flare packs now fitted.

csc_0039.jpg

Adding a few more details to wheel and airbrake bays next.

csc_0041.jpg

Also about to start detailing the undercarriage which I can't say I'm looking forward to much :banghead:

csc_0014.jpg

Hope you like so far. Any constructive criticism is most welcome. Cheers,

Gary - I know you've more or less cracked it but found these pics on the web in case you have stumbled across them yourself SOAF Jags

Must say I am VERY tempted to tale my T2 down this same route now :hmmm:

Thanks Gary. I'd already clocked some of the pics on that site but it was good to see the rest. Nice to see some photo's of Thumrait again. The landscape around there was like nowhere else.......... indeed some of the lunar landing conspiracy theorists think it all could have been shot around there!

Good idea for the T2. Would look great in this camo scheme I think. Don't forget the Omani ones had a beefed-up fixed refuelling probe in place of the usual pitot tube.

Edited by rdxtnt

G'day Gary,

Great looking cat, should be a stunner when it is done. I have a question w.r.t the 'winders (AIM-9P's I think?) Why do they have two yellow bands instead of the yellow/brown (w'head/motor) combo.

Is this something specific to Omani Jags?

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks for all the positive comments peeps. Much appreciated :)

I have a question w.r.t the 'winders (AIM-9P's I think?) Why do they have two yellow bands instead of the yellow/brown (w'head/motor) combo.

Is this something specific to Omani Jags?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Yes, they are AIM-9P's (export version of the AIM-9E?) and I based the painting on this piccy kindly posted by Radek earlier in the build. I don't know if there was a brown band under the TAU cover or not but I'll be putting covers on mine anyway so problem solved. Must admit though, very unusual to see two yellow bands :)

omani3sb5.jpg

Simply gorgeous Gary! What a model :worthy:

Regards

Andy :)

Look a whole lot better with one of those lovely pitot tubes you're thinking of producing Andy ;)

How are you getting on with them?

Cheers guys,

Gary.