RAF Phantoms

Andy Mullen

After reading Vince's announcement on the imminent arrival of the Fujimi RAF Phantoms, I started going through my decal stash to see what I have.

This is one of the first profiles I have knocked up. Based on the FG.1 option from the Modeldecal #64 sheet.

F4_FG1_43_XV582_F_1981_001.jpg

more to come.

Edited by Andy Mullen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I would add a few more to the mix

Fujimi 1/72 FGR.2 Last British Phantom #72193 - option #1

F4_FGR2_19_XV470_G_001.jpg

Fujimi 1/72 FG.1 Phantom "Treble 1" #72192 - option #1

F4_FG1_111_XV574_Z_1986_001.jpg

Fujimi 1/72 FG.1 Phantom "Treble 1" #72192 - option #2

F4_FG1_111_XV589_P_1980_001.jpg

Fujimi 1/72 FG.1 Phantom "Treble 1" #72192 - option #3

F4_FG1_111_XT865_U_1983_001.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
updated image links

• 1 month later...

I'm at home in Lincolnshire at the moment. But when I get back to Riyadh, as soon as I finish the RAAF Hudson (Italeri) I'll be starting

the Revell FGR2 as an OCU aircraft,with many thanks to Edgar in High Wycombe for the low viz squadron markings.

I hear from Hyperscale that the nose is 'wrong' on the Fujimi 'Tomb' - buyer beware? or maybe just ignore & enjoy!

All the best

Pete

I hear from Hyperscale that the nose is 'wrong' on the Fujimi 'Toom'

Looks perfectly ok to me.

Looks fine to me too....I dunno, some people.

The only minor issue is the slope down to the exhaust when viewed from a side profile. It should be a straight line down and not curve up slightly to the can. That was the only good thing about the Matchbox (spit) FGR2.

I wonder if we'll ever see a new tooling that corrects this?

In reality, it's hardly noticeable so build and be damned I say! It's a great kit.

• 9 months later...

Further profiles based on the latest Fujimi boxing #27044

F4_FG1_892_XT864_R_1977_001.jpg

F4_FG1_892_XT864_R_1978_001.jpg

F4_FG1_892_XV568_R_1977_001.jpg

F4_FG1_892_XV568_R_1978_001.jpg

For the other two options I would like to find out what year they flew in these markings - I am guessing 1980/81. If anyone knows for sure I would be grateful.

Similar to first 43 Squadron Toon (1981) in my first post.

F4_FG1_43_XV571_A_1980_001.jpg

F4_FG1_111_XT863_G_1983_001.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
updated image links

For the other two options I would like to find out what year they flew in these markings - I am guessing 1980/81. If anyone knows for sure I would be grateful.

F4_FG1_111_XT863_G_1980_001.jpg

Great stuff Andy.....

The scheme above was applied to '863 in 1983. She won the "cours d'elegance" (well - summink like that!) as the best turned out Phantom at RIAT '83 at Greenham Common. I have some (not very good) photo's at home somewhere - it rained alot that weekend!!! Lined up with a few other Phantoms - them were the days!! She was still in those colours a year or so after, and was kept generally fairly clean............

Further profiles based on the latest Fujimi boxing #27044

Similar to first 43 Squadron Toon (1981) in my first post.

F4_FG1_43_XV571_A_1980_001.jpg

A few clues on that 43(F) Cab, Its "Alpha" prior to the 1986 anniversary scheme and definitely not after,as the tail never reverted to that state. (the big chequers in your other profile were followed by two thin lines of chequers above and below the squadron crest if I remember correctly) and that zap on the splitter plate is the (Belgian?) F-16 unit 323 sqn I think, so a recent squadron exchange is likely. The big give away will be the Wing Commanders name on the forward fuselage, just aft of his pennant, that will nail the timescale fairly accurately- is the name legible?

The big give away will be the Wing Commanders name on the forward fuselage, just aft of his pennant, that will nail the timescale fairly accurately- is the name legible?

Heres a 200% blowup of the decal supplied by Fujimi

F4_FG1_43_XV571_A_1980_001a.jpg

Heres a 200% blowup of the decal supplied by Fujimi

F4_FG1_43_XV571_A_1980_001a.jpg

Looks like Fujimi mangled that name fairly well, I am guessing it's meant to be John Brady (bit of a leap from "Drev" I know, but his predecessor was Wing Cdr Mcfaddyen which seems less likely) I will do some asking about and see if any of my former colleagues can shed any light on this one.

cheers,

Troffa

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looks like Fujimi mangled that name fairly well, I am guessing it's meant to be John Brady (bit of a leap from "Drev" I know, but his predecessor was Wing Cdr Mcfaddyen which seems less likely) I will do some asking about and see if any of my former colleagues can shed any light on this one.

cheers,

Troffa

Wg Cdr Harry Drew was OC 43 Sqn which is pretty close to Drev; he was the Boss of 43 at the beginning of the 80s (I reckon 79-81); Wg Cdr Ian MacFadyen was my first Sqn Cdr and we were on 29 Sqn (79-82). John Brady was the Boss of 43 late 80s and I'm reasonably confident he was the last F4 sqn cdr before 43 converted to the F3.

Cheers

Geoff

Wg Cdr Harry Drew was OC 43 Sqn which is pretty close to Drev; he was the Boss of 43 at the beginning of the 80s (I reckon 79-81); Wg Cdr Ian MacFadyen was my first Sqn Cdr and we were on 29 Sqn (79-82). John Brady was the Boss of 43 late 80s and I'm reasonably confident he was the last F4 sqn cdr before 43 converted to the F3.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff, clears it up nicely- John Brady was my first Boss (I was pan trash) and he was indeed the last F-4 Boss on 43(F), after which we had Andy Moir as the first Tornado boss.