Blue, Blue, My Love Is Azure Blue - and happily some of our paints are too 😀

John

I sort-of agree about a new number, but it will only be a problem for a transition period, and all the kits and references calling for 157 will actually be right after that. The outstanding kits are likely to exist for a lot longer than the old stocks.

Graham, I accept that what you say is probably true, though there will be stocks of the old 157 around in some areas for many years to come, probably New Zealand being one of them. :(

John, that comment re "Malta Spitfire Blue grey" is just plain naughty & has an awful reek of red herring about it. :D

Steve

If its close enough to the MAP chip, I'll not be taking too much notice of what other people be thinking. Hopefully as close as Nick Millman says is as close as the eye can easily discern, about a difference of 5 in the Munsell system if I've got that right, will do me.

Steve

Just to clarify that the colour difference calculation is the DE2000 system formulated by the Commission International de l’Éclairage (CIE) and is not unique to Munsell but applicable generally. The typical variation in applied paints from standard can be up to about a calculation of 5 but scale colour is also relevant which is where the artistic aspect of getting a paint colour characteristic to "look right" comes into it. The character of Azure Blue is tricky so it will be interesting to see what Hornby/Humbrol come up with! I'm hoping that the decision to return manufacturing to the UK will result in more batch consistency, both in colour and ease of application.

I'm hoping that the decision to return manufacturing to the UK will result in more batch consistency, both in colour and ease of application.

I absolutely agree with you Nick. I have opened some old Humbrol enamel paints to compare them with their new batch, and I must admit that even though my old batch is nearly 20 years old they are still in pretty good condition.

Obviously, it has to do with the manufacturing and the quality standards being followed in the UK.

You simply can't change a few things.

• 3 months later...

Comrades,

I'm trying to find an azure blue for a 1/32 Spit I'm building and this has been the most amazing discussion on colours :popcorn:

Big thanks to all you peeps who have done all this work comparing colours etc.

I'm orf to Cosford on Sunday and will see what crops up there. I may go for Vallejo Air, but it's looking more and more likely that Phoenix will get an order...just because I'm a little obsessive and whilst the client may not know, I will. It's just so amazingly frustrating that 'standard' colours aren't available in a standard range.

I'm not even going to mention the Middle Stone colour to go on the topside :wall:

Comrades,

I'm trying to find an azure blue for a 1/32 Spit I'm building and this has been the most amazing discussion on colours :popcorn:

Big thanks to all you peeps who have done all this work comparing colours etc.

I'm orf to Cosford on Sunday and will see what crops up there. I may go for Vallejo Air, but it's looking more and more likely that Phoenix will get an order...just because I'm a little obsessive and whilst the client may not know, I will. It's just so amazingly frustrating that 'standard' colours aren't available in a standard range.

I'm not even going to mention the Middle Stone colour to go on the topside :wall:

Humbrol's current incarnation of Middle Stone, 225, is pretty good to my eye but if you're ordering from Phoenix Precision anyway, why not just get all the camouflage colours you need at once?

John -still looking forward to the new Humbrol 157!

You know it was only on a forum like this I found out that Humbrol had released that colour...tend not to use much desert camo on aerobatic team aircraft. I quite like Humbrol and it's probably cheaper than Phoenix. Then again, if Phoenix are as good as they seem, yeah, probably worth getting all the colours from there. Wonder if they'll be at Cosford.

Did domeone ever match White Ensign? I've read the thread but may have missed it between all the blue chips...

Trubbie, Phoenix is considered the best match from all the paints tested here.

Page 2

J

Thank you! Not too bad, not exactly right either.

Funnily a search for "WEM" in this topic shows no matches (probably a limitation of the search engine when searching short words) and a search for "Ensign" showed only posts discussing an intent to test it.

John,

With no standard other than my monitor to compare against, its tough to compare in Canada. Have you ever matched Polly Scale Azure Blue to your chip? I've scoured the tread and can't find it but I might have missed it. What about gunze acrylic H49 violet? The online versions of aren't even close, but in real life it seems to capture the violet hue, albeit a bit light. Don't know if these paints are available near you or not. However if you could send me a chip sample, I'd be glad to paint a swatch or two, and return it to you. Or perhaps I could send a sample of the paint to you, if you tell me, what and how you are painting your samples.

Ron

Had a nice chat with the man from Airfix yesterday at the show at RAF Cosford. 157 is now being released in the lighter shade although new stocks will take time to filter through to replace the older stock. I've got a tin on the way, courtesy of Airfix so I can report back when that arrives. I've told, by someone I can't recall, they have access to the original MAP specs, but I can't substantiate that at the moment, 'cos I can't recall who said it.

I'm bound to say that I'm green with envy at you having this opportunity. It'll be good to see how well they've done. Do you have a copy of British Aircraft Colours of WW2 to compare this with the swatchs in that? Pictures would be obligatory. ;):)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Steve, I don't have a copy of British Aircraft Colours to compare it with unfortunately. I'd like a copy...

I've got the old Humbrol Colour System folder with the paint swatches inside which I can use as a show and tell. I can try sending you a swatch...however, it might take a while to get to you. However, if there's anyone in the UK with the same references, we can exchange swatches to see how it looks.

Jonathan

It would be good to see it alongside the Humbrol colour System sample & to see how close it is to their original shade but could I suggest that John, the originator of this thread, is the logical person to send a colour sample of the new paint to, we'd then be comparing apples to apples in the best possible way I think, if John was happy with this of course.

Steve.