Blue, Blue, My Love Is Azure Blue - and happily some of our paints are too 😀

John

The light blue, if you can take the time to read thru this thread, not only will you see that it grew out of dissatisfaction with the dark colour that Hu157 had morphed into, but there were no readily available correct matches for the proper shade other than the Phoenix Paints shade (post 110) & latterly the revamped Humbrol shade (post 212). You'll also become an expert on azure blue. :) If you're into seeing what you can do with the mix you already have, you might have a look at post #138 where I played with some Hu14,34 & 68 & got a not too bad result.

Steve.

heres its is, pretty much how it looks in the pic to my else, aside from being a touch more turquoisey, no almost nothing about paint mixing so not sure where I would go next to get something that looks like posts 110 and 212

291D9D92-5A3B-4944-8FDF-0F0A5AD9AC8C_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

heres its is, pretty much how it looks in the pic to my else, aside from being a touch more turquoisey, no almost nothing about paint mixing so not sure where I would go next to get something that looks like posts 110 and 212

Quite a bit more 34 should give you something you can use as a Azure substitute. It may not be quite correct but it won't be a million miles away.

Steve.

Whats the betting the lid colour morphs towards the new shade over time? Looking at your photo, it appears slightly lighter than the older lids but that may be a monitor generated illusion.

Steve

Both of my older style tins with the new paint have batch number 134112 on the base label. The new style "blue swoop" tin has 133145.

John

• Like 1

Interesting to see Italeri joining the fray:

http://shop.italeri.com/Products/21196-4308ap-flat-azure-blue.aspx

If the paint matches FS595 35231, and there's no reason to doubt it, it won't be a particularly good match for AB. Another example of the tyranny of FS595, perhaps?

I don't know if this is available in the UK.

John

For what it's worth, this is an old Italeri Spitfire Mk V I used as a paint mule for the Italeri acrylic Dark Earth / Middle Stone /Azure Blue colors.

Pardon the crappy pics and ditto model:

R0013136.JPG

R0013137.JPGR0013138.JPG

Cheers,

Andre

• 1 month later...

Is it possible anyone can send me a couple tins of new humbrol azure paint to USA? I will pay of course....seems like USA doesnt have it yet.. :( It cant be shipped via air...maybe by economy ship.. if anyone is kindly enough to ask UK post office for me. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is one intense topic, but my question isn't so much about the particular color but the shade as found on footage of aircraft with this color on the undersides. I recently saw some great color footage of Boston's in North Africa, and I noticed that the color isn't as bright as the paint that comes out of the bottle (I use MM Azure Blue) so was wondering if I should dull out the color, maybe add a bit of white or grey? Any suggestions? I am not looking for an exact shade (we all know what a can of worms this color topic is), just some advice, I really don't think that even after pre and post shading the azure blue would be quite that vivid.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Velly interesting Mr John. Have you tried Lifecolor's version yet? UA098 is their Azure Blue - I can send you a brushed out sample if you like? smile.png

Mike

I know your above offer to John was made some time ago but could you be persuaded to extend it to me ?

Another John

Only appears on page 17 of the thread - not the page before, nor the page after. Wonder if an image has been linked directly from someone's computer?

Yup, Andre's post #334 has links to images on that host, which probably requires a username and password to access.

Perhaps more germaine to this topic, is that apparently Hu157 is one of the colours that Humbrol is showing as discontinued or rather not shown on its merchants list, along with 44 & a heap of others. There is a thread somewhere about this, stock up while you can.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1