Blue, Blue, My Love Is Azure Blue - and happily some of our paints are too 😀

John

An interesting post there comparing those to the Humbrol System mix for Azure blue. I think that is not a long way off the Authentics range HB13, in fact I think it is intended to be a substitute/alternative. I used this mix in a couple of my early posts in this thread, though rather than 49/10 I used 10/2 as being near enough & more realistic as regards quantites. So the 4th patch down against the rear wing of the Chesapeake is my version of the colour system mix & not too far from the 30year old HB13, or for that matter the Aeromaster shade, though I think we can say that our knowledge of AB has moved on from here & this new shade from Airfix is pretty close to a definitive alternative imho.

I really must retire my poor old Chesapeake now that AZ are to bring out a new tooled one, & I won't be painting the underneath in Azure Blue. :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Humbrol15718.jpg

Comparing white plastic base with Alclad grey and black primers and lightish coatings

Humbrol1579.jpg

On white plastic, compared to the old Humbrol interblend formula

Humbrol1577.jpg

On Alclad grey primer compared to the old Humbrol interblend formula

Humbrol1578.jpg

On Alclad black primer compared to the old Humbrol interblend formula

On my monitor the interblend Azure Blue looks like BR Diesel Blue!

John

I'm sorry to have to report that the tin of 157 Azure Blue that I ordered direct from Airfix last week is still the same old, darker, greyer "Azure Blue" of old. So without change to the lid it looks like there is going to be an ongoing issue of not knowing what is actually in the tin for some time to come and that ordering a new tin direct from Airfix is no guarantee that it will be the new colour!

None too happy as I already have tins of the old colour! :-(

Nick

I wondering if perhaps the "New" Azure Blue hasn't been officially released yet. The pots the John & Leadsolo had were giveaways as I understand, rather than commercially bought so perhaps an email from Nick to Humbrol expalining the situation would see him getting his hands on the good oil. I for one would like to see Nick perform his magic on the new shade & rate it objectively.

Steve.

Interesting. The word from Humbrol was that they were releasing the new stock to replace the old stock but obviously it would take a little while to filter through the retail system. Odd that you got one of the old colours. Sounds like they have you sorted though :thumbsup:

I think the new colour is on the market "officially, but it's pot luck - to coin a phrase - what you get as the tins are exactly the same. Presumably the new “blue swoop” tins will all have the new colour in them. There is clearly going to be a transition period with new paint in old tins but I think it would have been useful for some sort of indication of what the colour in the tin actually is, even if it was just a spot on the lid. I understand that they won’t want to just ditch the old stock but I suspect they’ll find an increasing number of customers in Nick’s position returning tins with the old paint and asking for the new.

I bought 4 tins via the Airfix website. I emailed in advance asking how to ensure I got the new paint and they very kindly took my order number and made sure that was what I got. I’m grateful to them for taking the trouble.

John

Edited to say - maybe if they took the old stock and had some labels for the lids printed up saying something like "254 Blue Grey" they could shift it that way. There must be *some* use for it!

There must be *some* use for it!

The answer is obvious. Re-label the old stuff "Malta Spitfire Blue". A wholly non-controversial and socially useful plan which would spread happiness and joy to everyone.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Deep Sky Blue was used on high altitude bombers, or at least on B-17Es and perhaps intended for Fortress Mk.Is: some say on Spitfire Mk.VIIs too before PRU Blue was standardised. I haven't heard of Deep Azure. Deep Sky Blue is darker than old Humbrol Azure Blue. However, old Humbrol Azure Blue is a pretty fine match for Light Mediterranean Blue, which was next to it on the MAP sample card. I believe that they could label it a Light Mediterranean Blue, but from what is being said they will not do that. I would have preferred them to change the name and give their new Azure Blue a new number.

I would have preferred them to change the name and give their new Azure Blue a new number.

+1, it was explained that the number was retained due to the number of kits that use 157 as azure blue, however, I reckon it would have been quicker to amend printed instructions that wait for umpteen thousand tins of spurious Azure blue to finally leave the system, like in about a decade or so??? :( I think I know which will create the least confusion/ mistakes long term.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

+1, it was explained that the number was retained due to the number of kits that use 157 as azure blue, however, I reckon it would have been quicker to amend printed instructions that wait for umpteen thousand tins of spurious Azure blue to finally leave the system, like in about a decade or so??? :( I think I know which will create the least confusion/ mistakes long term.

Steve.

It's not just Airfix that use 157 as a reference for Azure Blue though. It turns up on other company's products, in publications and in online documentation as well. Keeping the number is probably the least worst option.

John

It's not just Airfix that use 157 as a reference for Azure Blue though. It turns up on other company's products, in publications and in online documentation as well. Keeping the number is probably the least worst option.

John

It may therefore be better in the long run if they recalled all the tinlets on retailers shelves, replaced them with new stock & then relabelled the old tins as a new colour such as Light Med.Blue..... Yes, I know, wishful thinking & probably totally impractical...!!

Trouble is, I won't buy another tin of 157 until I can find the new style. I'm guessing there are others who now know about the change that won't as well. But that's probably but a tiny pinprick in the total sales of the colour, so it's likely not going to cause Airfix much concern.... Maybe they could sell the new tins as a website only option in the short term?

keef

You're probably right too John, I know AZ use 157 as a colour call on some of theirs, I recall commenting on this on one of their threads before we knew Humbrol was going to rejig the shade. I'm guessing the we can be comfortable that the new shade will appear in the new style UK production tins so unless you know your LHS enough to be able to check the colours in a tin, ie. pop the top, then wait until the new tins appear, this should answer keef's point & yes, I think he is correct, in that those in the know are a small proportion of Humbrols customers & in time its only those in the know will know to insist on new style tins. I think I know what I mean ;)

Steve

If you go back to the very first post in this thread you'll see that old 157 is a good match for FS595 35164. I've no idea if that shade has any military application but since the idea of Malta Spitfires has come up a couple of times, maybe relabelling any old stock as "254 FS 35164 Malta Spitfire Blue/Grey" would be a shrewed commercial move!

When I get a minute I'll try a sample against RAL and BS4800 to see if there's anything else useful it might match.

John

FWIW MAP Lt Med Blue to 35164 is @ 6.34, 35164 is noticeably greyer. I would say it is not a useful match, especially on a small model. Closest RAL to 35164 should be 7031 Blaugrau @ 3.58 but it is slightly darker and greyer.

It's still a bit light and blue for IJAAF # 3. I usually use an old tin of Authentics Gris Bleu Foncé for that. which was supposedly superceded by 79, but the older colour is different - and better.

Nick

....It's still a bit light and blue for IJAAF # 3. I usually use an old tin of Authentics Gris Bleu Foncé for that. which was supposedly superceded by 79, but the older colour is different - and better.

Nick

I see. Thanks a lot for the information!

I thought RAL 7031 sounded familiar and I now realise that it is the closest RAL value to the colour chip cited by Elliott as the intended M-485 USN Blue Gray (Munsell 9 B 3.5/1.5) @ 4.33

FS 35164 to that chip is @ 5.67 but bearing in mind scale effect it would seem a reasonable option for M-485 which I suppose brings us back to those Malta Spitfires in a roundabout way?

Keep the old tins of 157 for when the new Airfix Wildcat comes out.

Nick

Hiya Nick,

By new Airfix Wildcat are we talking ugly looking Lynx offspring or the piston engine carrier fighter?

By the way you totally lose me when you refer to Munsen, M-145, 5.67 etc, I know that they mean something as you most certainly know your stuff but my brain just shuts off as it means nothing to me!! If we were talking face to face I`d probably glaze over, nod my head, totally agree with you and then walk off scratching my head non the wiser! Does it refer to shades of colour against a fixed colour swatch?

Please don`t take this the wrong way, I`m just letting you know that some of us lesser mortals (well me at least) have no idea what it means! I have got some printed papers and tables which refer to Munsen and have FS numbers everywhere but again,.....brain freeze I`m afraid.

All the best mate,

Tony O

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1