Blue, Blue, My Love Is Azure Blue - and happily some of our paints are too 😀

John

Velly interesting Mr John. Have you tried Lifecolor's version yet? UA098 is their Azure Blue - I can send you a brushed out sample if you like? smile.png

Mike

Many thanks for your post above which I acted on and ordered a jar of UA098. I received the paint today and have done a test spray and am very pleased with the result.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Steve, that is correct. For our relatively small volumes it's a lot more cost effective than coating lids with other systems. It also means I just buy tins and lids and spray them myself as and when I need them rather than holding stocks of every coloured lid we'd need (I think we're at over 430 colours now).

We can fit quite a lot on if I want to make up a large batch, but it's basically a case of lining up bare tin lids on magnetic strips and spraying them with a few ml of the paint that will go inside :)

20160906_195044_zpskxzeseug.jpg

I use cellulose thinners for lids as it dries quickest and is the most aggressive thinner for getting the best bond to the steel lids without having to prime them first.

• Like 9

That does look good.

Us enamel users seem to have the colour pretty much matched now but our acrylic brethren are still some way behind. I wonder if anyone will pick up the gauntlet?

John

• Like 1

That does look good.

Us enamel users seem to have the colour pretty much matched now but our acrylic brethren are still some way behind. I wonder if anyone will pick up the gauntlet?

John

Lifecolor's Azure is pretty good - it has the violet tint the original has. As it's a vinyl paint, it can be a bugger to spray, but Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner works well as a thinner/retarder.

• 3 years later...

I'm still looking for a good match for WWII MAP/RAF Azure Blue in water-based acrylic model paint. I recently sprayed a swatch of Mission Models MMP-092 Azure Blue RAF FS 35231. Unfortunately it's an excellent match to FS35231 but a poor match for WWII RAF Azure Blue - see below.

There are other water-based acrylics not mentioned previously in this thread from Hataka, AK Interactive, AMMO by Mig, and maybe others. Does anybody have comparisons of these colours to the RAF Museum reference book? Please post your comments in this thread.

Nobby

spacer.png

On 4/18/2016 at 10:28 PM, John said:

Hu13_zpsbnc26ugb.jpg

I'll crack it open

I think this should be done in a tuxedo, by candlelight and to classical music performed by a specially invited symphony orchestra ... after all, a forty-year-old Humbrol!

RSq.gif

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Nobby Clarke said:

I'm still looking for a good match for WWII MAP/RAF Azure Blue in water-based acrylic model paint. I recently sprayed a swatch of Mission Models MMP-092 Azure Blue RAF FS 35231. Unfortunately it's an excellent match to FS35231 but a poor match for WWII RAF Azure Blue - see below.

There are other water-based acrylics not mentioned previously in this thread from Hataka, AK Interactive, AMMO by Mig, and maybe others. Does anybody have comparisons of these colours to the RAF Museum reference book? Please post your comments in this thread.

Nobby

spacer.png

I have the Hataka and the RAFM book, I’ll brush out a swatch tomorrow

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I have the Hataka and the RAFM book, I’ll brush out a swatch tomorrow

I have try the Azur Blue from Hataka Blue line, brush paint. Look nice for my eyes.

Best regard

Alain

I still find it hilarious that Airfix bring out new models that have Humbrol 157 Azure blue in the painting instructions...Someone didn't let them know they discontinued that paint? (after Humbrol actually made a pretty spot on version at the end).

Good thing Colourcoats still reaches these shores.

Edited by sapperastro
  • Like 1

I

On 8/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, Nobby Clarke said:

I

There are other water-based acrylics not mentioned previously in this thread from Hataka, 

Quick brushed out sample on white paper, Hataka Blue line.

I think this one is too dark, it seems to be half way between Azure and Light Mediterranean blue. Which might actually match some of the darker underside blues seen!!

117792830_307113644061674_1194850998109142179_n

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Someone didn't let them know they discontinued that paint? (after Humbrol actually made a pretty spot on version at the end).

A bit barmy that, I can't help think the first batch of the proper shade was also the last, my one tin was sent to me by @John.  I can't recall ever seeing Hu 157 in the newer tins out here, not local anyway. Too much of the old rubbish to get rid of perhaps. I'd be very happy to see them re-release this in the latest quality paint, the tins I've bought recently have been delightful to use.

Steve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Good thing Colourcoats still reaches these shores

May I ask who is your local (Australian) stockist Sapper? 

I'd love to try some of their paints. 

Cheers.. Dave