Airfix 1/350 Trafalgar Class SSN

Dads203

This arrived yesterday, very quick shipping from Airfix indeed.

Box Top, very nice picture of one of the T Boats. I'm sure its HMS Turbulent pre 1993 refit?

CIMG0419.jpg

Heres the sprues, not many parts and moulded in the same blue gray as their Lusty kit.

You can see that Airfix have provided the names for all he T Class boats in service which is welcome.

They look to be good quality too. :speak_cool:

CIMG0423.jpg

Scopes and ECM/ESM antennas

CIMG0420.jpg

CIMG0414.jpg

Some shots of the sail, all looks good in this picture, you get two tops of the Sail

depending on if you want to use the scopes and antennas.

CIMG0420.jpg

CIMG0421.jpg

CIMG0416.jpg

The forward Hull, not alot of detail here, the same as the full size boats,

CIMG0415.jpg

The rear hull, ballast tank vents, and rear hatch yet again nicely done.

CIMG0418.jpg

The screw and propulsor bits, the propulsor blades look a bit crude but then you see very little

one the shrowd is fitted.

CIMG0420.jpg

Its a nice package and great that a mainstream company has started to kit modern RN subjects

I'm looking forward to building and painting this little kit, the challenge will be to render the rubber tiles

that are all over the hull, painting and masking is in order for this.

Cheers

Dan

Edited by Dads203

That looks nice... There's an opportunity for someone to do a decal sheet for the tiles on the sail and upper surfaces, a la the old Cutting Edge tiles for the Space Shuttle :)

how many paint scheme options? :banghead: even I can paint this one!!!!

how many paint scheme options? :banghead: even I can paint this one!!!!

Only the one, time to break open the Nato Black, I'll post the pix of the painting guide

in few minutes. The camera battery died :analintruder:

Hi,

Thanks for showing this. I was under the impression that the T-Boats had a pump-jet system, as oppossed to the regular prop??

Thanks

Brad

Hi,

Thanks for showing this. I was under the impression that the T-Boats had a pump-jet system, as oppossed to the regular prop??

Thanks

Brad

yes and no...Trafalgar, the lead boat was built with a prop, but was converted to pumpjet during her first refit.

steve

PS..question for dads203...how long is the hull of the boat in 350th?

Edited by kspriss

For my nuclear submarines, I use Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black for all metal. Then I use Testor's ModelMaster Aircraft Interior Black for the rubber/non-skid bits.

Cheers,

Don

P.S. Which boat will you build?

yes and no...Trafalgar, the lead boat was built with a prop, but was converted to pumpjet during her first refit.

steve

Hi Steve, She's approx 230mm long without the screw/pumpjet

HTH

Dan

Please excuse my ignorance about these things, but what are the tiles for? :mellow:

Cliff

Hi

Best way I can think of phrasing it is ... for hiding the submarine.

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

steve

Just started one of these. Not up to scratch on subs but I think as the kit stands, it can only be built as Trafalgar STB. The hull will require modification for all other vessels in the class.

Steve, are you sure Trafalgar had the pump-jet retrofitted?

So does the kit include the pump jet back end so a modeller can build the rest of the boats?

Thanks

Brad

steve

I am a Sonar Chief in the Canadian Navy, so I may have an idea also ;)

Brad

yes, i have it from the 'horses mouth' you might say!

steve

Might be wrong but i do belive Swiftsure and Trafalgar both had propellers and all other boats in both classes had / have propulsors !!

Working in Faslane im gonna make mine as an 's' boat in particular HMS Splendid a few modifications but shoudnt be to difficult

With the acoustic tiles I was thinking about a slim covering of plasto or similar with delicate and carfully cut scribe lines

Brother was senior officer on board Swiftsure ( ok she had been decommisioned ) and Father was ERA on Oracle, Rouqual and Outside Wrecker on Revenge

Edited by donaldmackenzie