1/72 Jaguar ACT

dswoofie

Coming on well Karl, you'll be getting out the Milliput soon! :lol:

If I may make a suggestion? I like where you're going with the laser nose bit, but I think it might be easier for you if you actually just chop the whole thing off. Find a suitably sized chunk of clear sprue and superglue it on, then carve and sand to shape. Polish it up and then mask it off. I say this because the framing on that area is actually very minimal and the kit is quite chunky :shrug:

Jen.

Well, for the glazing I was initially just going to use some Humbrol Clear Fix or something of that like. Although I do kike the idea of whacking on a clear bit of sprue and shaping it. I've never done this before, but as there are already a few 'firsts' for me on this kit, I might just give it a go...

What exactly do I need to do then? If I use superglue on the clear sprue bit, won't it go all cloudy??

Karl.

P.S. Yes Jen, I've got the bucket and the mixer ready for the Milliput!

Glad to see your back, thought you'd given up on this one?

No, I'd not given up... yet anyway! The bits are away for casting. I also lost some enthusiasm for the project after New Year. I'd done a whole load of artwork for the decals and I lost it all when my HD crashed... got to start all over again now! With the end of the GB looming in April I thought I'd better get on with it!

Karl.

What exactly do I need to do then? If I use superglue on the clear sprue bit, won't it go all cloudy??

Karl.

No, it'll be fine. Even if it does go cloudy, you will sand the cloudiness off again. Might be worth finding a suitable chunk of clear plastic before you cut the nose off, just in case you don't have anything big enough! :lol:

Jen.

No, it'll be fine. Even if it does go cloudy, you will sand the cloudiness off again. Might be worth finding a suitable chunk of clear plastic before you cut the nose off, just in case you don't have anything big enough! :lol:

Jen.

For a change, I actually DID think about that first! :lol: The nose is still attached. I'm having a mooch through some stuff to see if I've got anything suitable...

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

The clear chunk is one method;

That's what I've just done with mine. I used the canopy sprue from the kit which rather coveniently has a V shaped side which gives you a start on the front of the window. I used Revell Contacta for mine, then covered it in Miliput and sanded it back to leave a flush fit. I was expecting it to break off - maybe I was just lucky. It's no way perfect, but a million times better than the solid nose provided.

PS well impressed by you cutting out the window! That's some fine controlled cutting.

Steve.

Well, chicken that I am, I've decided to stick with my cut out nose for now... I just know that I'll bugger it up if I try it, and there's still going to be plenty of those chances to come in the build yet!!!

The first lot of filling has now taken place, and I'll soon be priming it up to check these out. The underside has been done, the gun ports faired over, and the nose and cockpit joins done too. The intakes had to wait until I'd sorted out the cockpit/fuselage join as they would have blocked it. Some filling was also required around the tail join, and also the fins under the rear. Lots more filling to come yet though...

Here's where I am at the mo...

eac3570b.jpg

Wow, those gun ports need some filling!

1c18dd24.jpg

e18f4220.jpg

Next step will be to sort out the intakes!

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Looking good Karl!! If I was you I'm sure the Jag would have some Renault RE30 bits attached to it by now :winkgrin:

I have tried Ian, I have tried... :lol:

Righty Ho!, the wings are now added. These were a real pain as they sat about 1mm too low and there was a step at each end of the joins... not good! Anyway, I added some plastic under there to get them up to the correct height, and then glued them on.

I've attached the wings and levelled them out as best as I can. There's still going to be plenty of filling and shaping to take place, but they are better than they were...

d8bb4d8f.jpg

I've done a little more sanding to the previous filling and it's now as smooth as I'm going to get it. The Jaguar looks rather weird like this at the moment with a sawtooth wing...

614fd8c0.jpg

Just waiting for the Milliput to dry in the wing gaps now!

Karl.

Wow, I've just finished the intakes... not something that I've been looking forward to doing. As the kit parts are so crap I had to make them up, cut out the lumps and bumps etc, and then line with milliput and shape.

This prevented me from masking up and spraying the colours on the inside of the intake before putting them together, so I had to try and mask them up once together. The Raspberry Ripple colours wrap around into the intake trunks and seem to go back some way, so I had to mask up the stripes as well as leaving the back 1/4 inch of the trunking white... After fiddling around for about 2 hours trying to get the striping in the right place, they are 'almost' finished. Just a little bit of touching up to do on them, and make the red stripe on the left one a tiny bit bigger... Definitely a testing task in 1/72!!!

Looking OK for now, time to put them onto the fuselage and fill all the gaps now!

2c354a3c.jpg

Karl.

If its any help mate, my BD Jag; the striping only went into the intakes as far as the rear of the 1st door. From there on in it was white or primer. Could have been different?, modellers license prevail..........................

If its any help mate, my BD Jag; the striping only went into the intakes as far as the rear of the 1st door. From there on in it was white or primer. Could have been different?, modellers license prevail..........................

Cool!, I'm not too far off then! I've done mine to roughly the start of the second door, so it's only a little bit further back than it should be! :yahoo: and I left the back of the intake trunking white (about 1/4 inch of it)

I'd got no idea of how far it went back into the intakes, but thought that I was on the right track. Glad you've confirmed my guessing as almost correct! I'm a happy bunny now.

Cheers,

Karl.

Keep up the good work! I'm really enjoying this thread :speak_cool:

Having spent more than a few moments under the 1:1 example at cosford dreaming of doing one myself, thanks for sharing your build!

cheers,

Troffa

Well, I'm almost ready to fit the LERX extensions onto the Jaguar ACT. I've spent the day rubbing down all the filling that was needed. Now this is a job that I REALLY hate, and I usually do the mimimum amount of work possible. This time though I've been fairly thorough and got all of the seams and joins a bit better than usual for me! There is quite an amount of re-scribing to be done as well, as many panel lines disappeared under the sanding sticks! I've done a few, but most will be done after the wings are finished.

OK, overall view now... sanded once, primed... sanded again, primed... <_< and now a bit more sanding!

51afad89.jpg

8134fec6.jpg

Now I'm happy with them! ^_^

I also did a bit of playing yesterday with my artwork for the decals. I've matched the colours correctly now for the red and blue, and done a test print on standard paper. Everything is starting to look good on that side of things now, hopefully I don't balls up the decal making!

Karl.

Is there a Jag kit in existence where the wing joints aren't a pain? :S Nice work Karl ;)

Hmm :hmmm: seems to be a recurring theme doesn't it! This is the first one I've ever built, and I've got another Revell GR.1 and an Italeri T.2 in the stash too... Obviously going to be doing the same on them too.

Right, I'm quite proud of myself as I've fitted on the resin LERX's now. They'll need some fettling around and filling, but they're on! This was one of the parts of the build I've been dreading, but I don't know why. They fitted on fine, and I didn't CA myself to it either. I did nearly have one disaster with it though, after admiring the LERX's I put the jag back on the bench, then realised I'd put it on the bit of card I'd got the blob of CA on :doh: Luckily I realised quick enough to be able to separate them! Just got to sand off the bit of CA on it now...

Now it's looking like the ACT... and I'm a happy bunny ^_^

f794d0e4.jpg

Anyway, enough patting myself on the back :smartass::D , time to carry on building! :poke:

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie