1/72 Jaguar ACT

dswoofie

OK, now I've definitely decided that I'm going to be very brave and do a 1/72 Jaguar ACT (the one that was the Fly By Wire test bed for the Eurofighter program, and is now preserved at Cosford). I'll be using the Revell GR.1A kit as a base for it.

It will require a little scratchbuilding as the main difference is that there are large strakes added to the front of the wings. Never really tried to do anything serious like this, so it's a bit of a first. I may also need to make up some 'homemade' decals for parts of it, again something new! Now you see what I mean by brave!

Spent the day at Cosford today getting some shots of the Jag in order to work out exactly what it looks like. Managed to get some elevation so that I could get some photos of the top of the wings etc. That was fun waving the camera around on the tripod above my head!

Before I start though, I wanted to ask a couple of questions that some of you may be able to answer...

1, Does anyone know of any scale plans that include the ACT version? or even some slightly detailed drawings? And also if there are any 3 view colour drawings around?

2, Does anyone know of any good shots of the badges that were on the nose of the ACT during it's flying days? The refurbed version at Cosford doesn't have any of these on it.

3, What decals are available for Rasberry Ripple Jags as some of these may be very helpful to me?

4, I believe that Maintrack models did a conversion kit for the ACT, was it any good and what did it have in it? What would be the chances of coming across one? and how much would it be likely to set me back? (could save a lot of effort!)

If anyone can throw any light on these I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

I'll have a dig around, but if you look on ebay you might be able to get the generic decals from the MATCHBOX T2 ETPS. The paint scheme is fairly easy. I'll have a dig around and get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

OK then, time I got cracking on this one. I've tried asking around for the Maintrack conversion set for this ACT, but only 1 person had got one, and it wasn't for sale. Anyway, they've kindly provided me with the instructions from the set, and also some great artwork for the decals. I now have all custom artwork I need to create the decals.

It was also mentioned that Whirlykits got the moulds from the Maintrack stuff? Anyone know is this is so, and if they have these?

All that I have left to find now is some generic decals, such as the white serials for XX765, and a tail flash with the white outline that'd fit a Jag.

I've been to Cosford to get some shots of the top of the ACT. There were no pics on the web of these, so I've put some here so that you can see what I'm trying to do...

36b02f88.jpg

b79604fb.jpg

7fade8e6.jpg

7d10971f.jpg

Right, onto the build. here we go...

Part 1 of a 1001 ways to bugger up a perfectly good kit :analintruder:

First thing needed is to cut out a section of the wings in order to fit the wing extension.

Before...

2d9b9380.jpg

After...

0768a7eb.jpg

I've never chopped a kit before, so it was a bit nerve wracking to start cutting it up... managed not to balls it up yet anyway. I've also glued together some pieces of plasticard to the thickness required, and these will need to be cut and shaped to form the wing extensions.

I was going to use an old Aeroclub metal seat, but it's about 2mm too wide to fit in the cockpit tub. I can't be bothered to really mess around in there, so it's going to have a wonderful kit seat in there at the moment... is there an AM seat that will fit into the narrow tub on this kit?

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Well the photo's you've got there are fine, all the exterior detail you'll need. The site i use for photo's was down, but when it came up was incredibly slow - hence not getting back to you. I have an old matchbox kit you could have?

Cutting the shape out was not as difficult as expected, by drawing the shape using a paper template I was able to get it just about right.

Cutting out the wing extension...

746bf237.jpg

Done, all it needs now is the shaping on the leading edges etc.

665ed55c.jpg

And by some miracle, it seems to fit pretty well! Just a little bit of tidying to do and it'll slot in just fine. :)

915834c5.jpg

YAY! Still not buggered it up yet anyway.

Karl.

Heyup Karl,

Me & Nige have just been looking at the lerx, and reckon they may be a bit far forward. From the pics at Cosford, they seem to begin at the blow in doors, but (without seeing the sides of the nacelles) yours seem to be further forward. Worth a check & measure before you get too far in ;)

Nice approach Karl - are decals available or will you have to do some DIY?

All of the decals on the nose, the BAe, Marconi, Dowty badges, and the RAE crest are all going to be DIY jobs, as well as the ACT on the tail. Other decals will be sourced from what I can get (speedy's helping me out there!). I've been given some artwork from which to make them, now all I need is the decal paper! The last issue will be getting the serials in white. I've got a few black ones, but no white.

Heyup Karl,

Me & Nige have just been looking at the lerx, and reckon they may be a bit far forward. From the pics at Cosford, they seem to begin at the blow in doors, but (without seeing the sides of the nacelles) yours seem to be further forward. Worth a check & measure before you get too far in ;)

Yep, you're right, it needs to come back a little bit (about 2-3mm). Easily fixable anyway!. I must admit that I'm working mostly by 'eye' as I couldn't find any plans at all. The sides of the nacelles are not quite true on the kit, there's a slightly larger gap between them than on the real thing. That may have sent me a little off track on the position of it. I'll re-cut it tomorrow before shaping.

Thanks for the 'spot' on that anyway. I wasn't paying enough attention! Not bad for a first attempt though is it!

Karl.

Yeah, I had a look at those, covered everything except the top of the wings etc.

I got my shots by extending the tripod above my head with the camera on timer! Worked anyway, even if it was unconventional! I think some of my 'topside' shots are now going to be added on there soon...

Karl.

Thanks for the 'spot' on that anyway. I wasn't paying enough attention! Not bad for a first attempt though is it!

4 eyes are better than 2 (unless they're all yours & you're not a spider) ;)

Nice work so far Karl, you're off to a flying start!

Once you get the decals sorted out would you consider running off a few sheets for some of us? I for one would be interested in buying a sheet.

Nice work so far Karl, you're off to a flying start!

Once you get the decals sorted out would you consider running off a few sheets for some of us? I for one would be interested in buying a sheet.

...and you could get someone to cast up some of those LERXes (?) if they come out ok... Charge people a fortune for a set & you're well on your way to your first £million ;)

...and you could get someone to cast up some of those LERXes (?) if they come out ok... Charge people a fortune for a set & you're well on your way to your first £million ;)

Well, dunno about the Million. £10 maybe? :lol:

Still look a bit too long to me... I thought they stopped just about level with the trailing edge of the blow-in doors? Hang on, I'll have a look at the pics again once I've posted.

Somewhere between a 3rd & a quarter of the way past the trailing edge of the blow-in doors. You have them just over half way from what I can see. Probably doesn't need much cutting off, and you're right about thinning them - they'll look less intrusive at the correct thickness. :)

Quick comparo:

36b02f88.jpg

deebc0f9.jpg

Take a look now, I've highlighted the doors on the side. The LERX is also thinned a bit now.

b47a6e3c.jpg

42081ba3.jpg

Here's a couple of comparison shots, I'm sort of happy with them in this position, but it always looks a little different in every shot I see! What do you reckon after seeing these?

1076252.jpg

jaguaract.jpg

jagact.jpg

Hmmm, I thought I was doing well until now...

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie