Primer colour

speedy

What paint can i use to get "THAT" primer look, you know the yellow-ish colour.

What era? WWII is easy - Chromate yellow for the US aircraft, Interior Grey Green for British. For modern, I don't know exactly :hmmm:

I use MM # 1584. It looks like the primer found on F-16s.

HTH,

Who stocks that in the UK then Jens? :please: I just checked H and they look like they're winding down their stocks... any of our esteemed guys on here stock it? :hmmm:

Who stocks that in the UK then Jens? :please: I just checked H and they look like they're winding down their stocks... any of our esteemed guys on here stock it? :hmmm:

Unfortunately I don't know Mike. I buy mine here in Denmark or in Germany (via the internet). :undecided:

Regards,

Unfortunately I don't know Mike. I buy mine here in Denmark or in Germany (via the internet). :undecided:

Regards,

Thought so... The question was kind of rhetorical in the hope that someone in the UK would chime in :)

OK Mike. In the meantime I can provide you with pictures of the real thing. These two pictures are from some of the F-16 ventral fins I have.

First one is the used and dirty version:

IMG_0035_800.jpg

The second one is the fresh and unused version:

IMG_0034_800.jpg

HTH,

• 3 weeks later...

Best I had was Humbrol Authentic HD4 zinc chromate primer, long out of production I'm afraid. This is the right colour for modern British aircraft because when I was at Rivermead school we were close to BAe between Kingston and Richmond and they supplied scrap materials for our metalwork class(I still have my old hammer that I made with duralumin caps on the handle from a piece of Sea Harrier!). :banghead:

The closest I've seen from the Humbrol chart is No81 Pale Yellow but I haven't used this myself.

I've got the Tamiya XF4 somewhere as well as a Gunze Sangyo that is quite close.

BTW who is the company that makes the MM # 1584 paint?

Thanks for the info Jens, I should have realised it was Testors/Model Master because I use their Chrome Silver and Steel quite a lot!

I picked up my Model Master paints at Wonderland Models in Edinburgh a few years ago and don't know if they still stock it.

BTW the Gunze Sangyo I was thinking of is No.58 US interior green but it's not as close as I thought. totally wrong for British primer.

Many Thanks

Paul Harrison

PS I just checked Wonderlands site and they've stopped stocking model master. Xtracolour do an enamel matt zinc chromate No. X408 though.

Edited by GreenDragon