What RAF Squadrons flew the C-45 (Expeditor)?

phat trev

The simple answer is that it was not a "squadron" type, but used in small numbers on communications duties, Staff HQ duties, etc. Looking at the 93 a/c in the HBxxx range, the one unit to have more than just a handful was 1330 Conversion Unit, at Bilbeis, used to provide initial twin experience. For the rest you have ACC Bulgaria, 216 Group CF, Burma CF, BAFSEA CF, Austria CF etc. No squadrons.

thanks for that Graham.

I am interested therefore in the aircraft used in Burma and BAFSEA.

(what was 216 group?)

would you be able to recommend any sources for photos?

The simple answer is that it was not a "squadron" type, but used in small numbers on communications duties, Staff HQ duties, etc. Looking at the 93 a/c in the HBxxx range, the one unit to have more than just a handful was 1330 Conversion Unit, at Bilbeis, used to provide initial twin experience. For the rest you have ACC Bulgaria, 216 Group CF, Burma CF, BAFSEA CF, Austria CF etc. No squadrons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._216_Group_RAF

I suspect the C-45s were used to ferry pilots about.

Photos? Of second-line RAF aircraft overseas? Can I start laughing (hysterically) now? I wish. I have seen one photo of a SEAC C-45, but it was very plain jane bare metal with just roundels and serial. I suspect that was normal for the type. There was one recent warbird in FAA Sea Blue Gloss overall, and there is a photo justifying that in one or more of the Air Britain FAA books but you want RAF.

OK, Putnam's Aircraft of the Royal Air Force. HB275, camouflaged top yellow(presumably, looks like it) undersides, 1943-type roundels (like the RAAF, fairly large blue and white only). 231 Gp CF. 231 Gp was a bomber group. (OK, I've seen two photos.....) There's nothing in Putnam's Beech Aircraft. Presumably there is at least one other batch of serials, as there's another 200 or so aircraft I haven't accounted for yet.

Yup. KJxxx and KNxxx almost 150 aircraft. Including a nose-on shot of KN116 with late SEAC roundels (a bit large) bare metal and rank pennant on the nose - rear fuselage not seen. Some of these batches ended in 96 Sq and 353 Sq. 353 was a SEAC transport unit using three C-45s for local comms work. 96 was one of the units converted to transports postwar, which is presumably when it had it's two.

The numbers don't seem to add up to the quoted totals, but that's got the majority of them.

Edited by Graham Boak

cheers Graham, this is a start anyway! I feel the 'plain jane' look is the one I am am to do as i can get some good panel shades going.

I have found an example here http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/..._t__t_7951.html

of the PM kit built, I like the larger style SEAC? roundles so will be using these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._216_Group_RAF

I suspect the C-45s were used to ferry pilots about.

Photos? Of second-line RAF aircraft overseas? Can I start laughing (hysterically) now? I wish. I have seen one photo of a SEAC C-45, but it was very plain jane bare metal with just roundels and serial. I suspect that was normal for the type. There was one recent warbird in FAA Sea Blue Gloss overall, and there is a photo justifying that in one or more of the Air Britain FAA books but you want RAF.

OK, Putnam's Aircraft of the Royal Air Force. HB275, camouflaged top yellow(presumably, looks like it) undersides, 1943-type roundels (like the RAAF, fairly large blue and white only). 231 Gp CF. 231 Gp was a bomber group. (OK, I've seen two photos.....) There's nothing in Putnam's Beech Aircraft. Presumably there is at least one other batch of serials, as there's another 200 or so aircraft I haven't accounted for yet.

Yup. KJxxx and KNxxx almost 150 aircraft. Including a nose-on shot of KN116 with late SEAC roundels (a bit large) bare metal and rank pennant on the nose - rear fuselage not seen. Some of these batches ended in 96 Sq and 353 Sq. 353 was a SEAC transport unit using three C-45s for local comms work. 96 was one of the units converted to transports postwar, which is presumably when it had it's two.

The numbers don't seem to add up to the quoted totals, but that's got the majority of them.

I think the colours on the SEAC one are, well, imaginative, but the roundels look about right.

The missing examples were in the FTxxx range, and went to the Navy or the RCAF. I found several postwar views of bare metal FAA aircraft, but not yet the dark blue one.

HB275 is probably the most common pic of an RAF Expeditor, and there is a flying shot of it in the IWM archive as well (You can get a thumbnail on their website)

This one appeared in Flypast a few years ago in a 'personal photos' page of SEAC/Indian aircraft, and is about the only other pic I know of a camouflaged RAF one that you can make the serial out on (There is a 3/4 rear shot of one in Eyes of the Phoenix that makes a good case for TSS, especially as the pic appears to be taken on a Beach!)

Beech.jpg

I've seen RAF natural metal ones in both European theatre and SEAC roundels, and I have seen a pic of an RAF one in Italy, but it was a small aircraft in a big photo!

Wartime FAA ones were probably TSS over Yellow, with red/yellow serials.

• Like 1

Interesting!

If HB275 was a UK-based Oxford or Anson, I think there'd be no doubt about a TLS/Yellow interpretation. This was specified for trainers and civilian types used as communications aircraft. So is the Expeditor a light civilian Beech 18 being used for communications or is it a military transport C-45? (Yes, I know it was built as a C-45, I wasn't being literal.) The large roundel is what biased me to a 1943 period (and hence white in the roundel and the TLS/Y scheme). Other photos have since shown that this large roundel was common on Expeditors, so this was a false lead.

Could this show TSS over Azure Blue? I think it could, although we are again in the region of interpreting white as light blue on somewhat less-than-firm ground. If you believe it has to be blue, then sure, but it can't be proven not-white from the photo. The difference in contrasts from KJ511 are considerable.

The delivery date of HB275 would help. I suspect it was late, later than 1943, which may create a bias away from TLS/Y.

Interesting!

If HB275 was a UK-based Oxford or Anson, I think there'd be no doubt about a TLS/Yellow interpretation. This was specified for trainers and civilian types used as communications aircraft. So is the Expeditor a light civilian Beech 18 being used for communications or is it a military transport C-45? (Yes, I know it was built as a C-45, I wasn't being literal.) The large roundel is what biased me to a 1943 period (and hence white in the roundel and the TLS/Y scheme). Other photos have since shown that this large roundel was common on Expeditors, so this was a false lead.

Could this show TSS over Azure Blue? I think it could, although we are again in the region of interpreting white as light blue on somewhat less-than-firm ground. If you believe it has to be blue, then sure, but it can't be proven not-white from the photo. The difference in contrasts from KJ511 are considerable.

The delivery date of HB275 would help. I suspect it was late, later than 1943, which may create a bias away from TLS/Y.

Interesting indeed. I'd always assumed (as in "Never entered my head that it could be anything else") that HB275 was in DE/DG/Sea Grey Medium. Given the paucity of photos, do we know that the convention of yellow undersides was observed in SEAC? I notice that in the SAM article on Far Eastern colours (Feb 1994) Geoff Thomas and/or Mike Keep assumed that Argus HB578 and Sentinel KJ420 has SGM udersides.

Nick

Another twist - I hope that we can rule out US equivalent colours? (Yes, because as LL aircraft, these would have been delivered in USAAF bare metal.)

The underside of HB275 looks too light for MSG, to me.

Can we confirm yellow was used as undersides in SEAC on non-combat types? I can't, but if the official scheme called for it, then I don't see why not. It was used further East in Australia and New Zealand.

Is this of interest? 742 Squadron were based Colombo tasked with communications between the scattered RN units. (Squadrons Of The FAA).

Ex.jpg

There are a couple of others in bare metal one of which may have a white topped fuselage.

Can we confirm yellow was used as undersides in SEAC on non-combat types? I can't, but if the official scheme called for it, then I don't see why not. It was used further East in Australia and New Zealand.

Yes, but not on transport types which were specified to be in TSS with Azure Blue underneath not MSG! However the Air HQ India orders 69-76 specifically state that this scheme does not have to be "introduced retrospectively" which leaves open the possibility of previously applied or delivered "non-standard" schemes being retained. IMHO HB275 could be yellow, Sky or even Sky Blue underneath. I doubt that it is Azure or MSG but it could be - I'm reminded of Geoff Thomas' admonition on page 176 of Phoenix.

SEAC training aircraft were specified to be TLS over yellow with a stated exception for the Harvard which was permitted to remain overall yellow (and there are examples of it).

Despite the prevailing view that all SEAC aircraft were TLS over MSG this was not the case. The Air India HQ orders are specific to aircraft roles rather than types and some Beaus on coastal duties were in TSS with Azure Blue rather than white undersurfaces. There was also the Day Fighter Scheme "interregnum" in SEAC, recently confirmed by Edgar.

Nick

Yes, but not on transport types which were specified to be in TSS with Azure Blue underneath not MSG! However the Air HQ India orders 69-76 specifically state that this scheme does not have to be "introduced retrospectively" which leaves open the possibility of previously applied or delivered "non-standard" schemes being retained. IMHO HB275 could be yellow, Sky or even Sky Blue underneath. I doubt that it is Azure or MSG but it could be - I'm reminded of Geoff Thomas' admonition on page 176 of Phoenix.

SEAC training aircraft were specified to be TLS over yellow with a stated exception for the Harvard which was permitted to remain overall yellow (and there are examples of it).

Despite the prevailing view that all SEAC aircraft were TLS over MSG this was not the case. The Air India HQ orders are specific to aircraft roles rather than types and some Beaus on coastal duties were in TSS with Azure Blue rather than white undersurfaces. There was also the Day Fighter Scheme "interregnum" in SEAC, recently confirmed by Edgar.

Nick

Thank you: we live and learn. Are AFO(I) 69-76 available on line?

Nick

Two important qualifications.

One. A point I have already made but is best repeated here. Was the Expeditor considered as a transport aircraft or a communications aircraft? The latter were normally camouflaged as trainers. It would not surprise me to find Expeditors in both schemes, depending upon whether the aircraft came under the control of Transport Command or not.

Two. Edgar has not, to my knowledge which I believe is correct in this case, confirmed any Day Fighter interregnum. What he has discovered is a draft document suggesting the introduction of the Day Fighter Scheme in SEAC. He has not (yet?) discovered an example of the issued document corresponding to the draft, nor any evidence that this scheme was adopted in service. I think we are in danger of setting a false hare running here; creating another myth to confuse future generations of modellers.

Two. Edgar has not, to my knowledge which I believe is correct in this case, confirmed any Day Fighter interregnum. What he has discovered is a draft document suggesting the introduction of the Day Fighter Scheme in SEAC. He has not (yet?) discovered an example of the issued document corresponding to the draft, nor any evidence that this scheme was adopted in service. I think we are in danger of setting a false hare running here; creating another myth to confuse future generations of modellers.

Really? Postagram - Secret from Air HQ India dated 27th October 1943 to 308 & 320 MU, RAF Liaison Officer ARU Santa Cruz, AHQ Bengal and 226 Group HQ, copied to SASO and Ops 41, entitled "Camouflage of Day Fighter Aircraft" which is not a draft but specifies DFS. "These and other similar cases received at 320 MU are to be re-camouflaged prior to despatch. whilst those received at ARU Santa Cruz are to be flown to 308 MU for re-camouflaging. The Day-Fighter scheme with India markings is to be used." This postagram then goes on to specify precisely the DFS colours and markings, so there is no ambiguity. This document has also been mentioned by Paul Lucas as well as the queries and clarifications sought by MU's in response.

And I have also mentioned this postagram in previous threads and postings too. So between the end of October 1943 and 4th April 1944 there is the possibility and probability of some day fighter aircraft being finished in this scheme. Now the interesting thing, perhaps, is whether certain squadrons of Hurricanes were considered not to be "day fighter".

And, just to clarify, the AFO(I) 70 of 4th April 1944 copies the wording of the draft document (not the postagram) almost exactly, except that all fighter aircraft are therein specified to be in TLS with MSG undersurfaces. The draft is referred to in a minute dated 17th November 1943 (after the postagram was sent) so sometime between that date and April 1944 the requirement for DFS was challenged and changed to TLS.

Hence "interregnum"!

Nick

Edited by Nick Millman

You specified Edgar's recent find. The document covering the introduction of the Day Fighter Scheme he has recently discovered (and generously passed around) is clearly labelled as a draft, at the top of the page and in the text (although not on the cover). He has not mentioned nor passed to me any such follow-up documentation as you describe: although this obviously does not deny its existence, the description does apply to what he has found regarding the SEAC roundel. This seems a possibly significant co-incidence. I suggest that you revisit the documentation. There may have been such an interregnum, but according to what I've seen, Edgar's recent find does not confirm it.

In support of your argument, perhaps you could point to other examples of SEAC fighters of this period (Spitfires Mk.V perhaps, or the earliest Mk.VIIIs, or the last Mohawks?) showing the Day Fighter Scheme? It is certainly a fair supposition that several of the Hurricane units were not considered as fighters - those converted from bomber units spring to mind, or the Mk.IIDs. As I understand it however, the photographic evidence remains one Hurricane away from the front line. Not so much a case of a few squadrons of Hurricanes NOT considered as Day Fighter, but only one that was?

However, I feel we have drifted too far from the subject of Expeditors. If you have further evidence I'd love to see it, but can we take it offline or to another thread?

Edited by Graham Boak

You specified Edgar's recent find. The document covering the introduction of the Day Fighter Scheme he has recently discovered (and generously passed around) is clearly labelled as a draft, at the top of the page and in the text (although not on the cover). He has not mentioned nor passed to me any such follow-up documentation as you describe: although this obviously does not deny its existence, the description does apply to what he has found regarding the SEAC roundel. This seems a possibly significant co-incidence. I suggest that you revisit the documentation. There may have been such an interregnum, but according to what I've seen, Edgar's recent find does not confirm it.

In support of your argument, perhaps you could point to other examples of SEAC fighters of this period (Spitfires Mk.V perhaps, or the earliest Mk.VIIIs, or the last Mohawks?) showing the Day Fighter Scheme? It is certainly a fair supposition that several of the Hurricane units were not considered as fighters - those converted from bomber units spring to mind, or the Mk.IIDs. As I understand it however, the photographic evidence remains one Hurricane away from the front line. Not so much a case of a few squadrons of Hurricanes NOT considered as Day Fighter, but only one that was?

However, I feel we have drifted too far from the subject of Expeditors. If you have further evidence I'd love to see it, but can we take it offline or to another thread?

The postagram was sent to me together with the draft document. Separate documents. And the postagram has already been cited in one of the Lucas books and Edgar's copy confirms that. It is not my argument just a statement that such an order did/does exist and is not a draft. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the SEAC roundel instruction. Again separate document.

Since not all SEAC aircraft were photographed the existence of one aircraft (in India btw) in DFS raises the possibility that there were others - supported by the existence of the postagram. Photos of Spits and Hurris in SEAC are not as numerous as elsewhere which makes the determination of their schemes less certain.

Nick

Another twist - I hope that we can rule out US equivalent colours? (Yes, because as LL aircraft, these would have been delivered in USAAF bare metal.)

Yes you can rule out U.S. equivalent colours, but only because they are two tone upper surfaces. However, I don't think we can definitively state that all Expeditors were delivered in bare metal. Some of the HB serial Expeditors diverted to the BCATP in Canada were natural metal and some were OD over NG. In fact I would guess that HD775 is OD over NG.

Jim

.....and there was me assuming it was DE/DG/Sky.......

Great info and discussion guys Thanks.

Just dug up the following details, hope they are usfull for others here also...

(cut and pasted from an email so hope you don't mind the odd looking text layout)

RAF Expediter Mk. I

(52 delivered 1944)

In 1944, the British needed commu-

nications aircraft for use in Asia,

the Middle East and at home. There

also existed crew training require-

ments for the British

Commonwealth Air Training Plan,

operated by the RCAF, in Canada. A

total of 119 Expediter I models were

received under Lend-Lease4.10 with

distribution as follows: 52 for the