Airfiix Hurricane MkIIc

Your comment has just made my day mate....as the biggest weakness with the kit is the prop! The rest is ok...but the prop!!!!

I must be doing summat right! :yahoo:

Edited by Nobby

Ok ...done it!

As i'm planning on having the canopy open, i decided to mould a new un! Crash, smash, plunge....call it what you will, i needed a master as i wanted to correct the windscreen. If i was making it with the canopy closed i probably wouldn't have bothered as it don't look to bad unless your really bothered about stuff like that, anyway i made a little former, then filled with Milliput and ended up with a nice little male plug! Getting near to the paint job now!!! Whoohoo!!!

DSCF1308.jpg

DSCF1311.jpg

And there you go! Just perched the canopy on and the prop to see if it looks like an Hurri!

DSCF1427.jpg

Cheers pal ! Its not perfect and took me three attempts....but i'm happy with it. Looks better than the kit one and as i'm having it open the one in the kit could not be used! I also made the windscreen more like the real thing as well! To be honest though i could have lived with it if i had a closed canopy!

Just been doing a little detail painting tonight and had to repaint the prop as wasn't happy with it but i think its starting to look more like an Hurri. Hope it looks as good as the one i saw on here earlier!

John

Ok....here's the pic that ROBW wanted.....just a close up of the canopy i moulded. Quite pleased how it's turned out! Lovely and clear....irrelevant though as its going to be posed open. I've also added some armour plate to the head rest with the trusty Red Bull can! Think i may be getting hooked on the stuff! :unsure:

DSCF1431.jpg

Detail paint done and just some matt varnish on the tires to blend things a little, then its in the paint shop over the weekend!

DSCF1432.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

Just found this thread- looking very very nice! Love all the correction work. Can't wait to see her in paint!

Cheers ben! I not saying its perfect but i'm having a blast doing it! Hopefully i won't have any interruptions over the week end, and i'll a get a bit done but as i'm not a fast builder by any stretch i reckon it'll be about a week! :unsure: could be a bit longer!

Thanks for the interest!

Hi rob! Yeah cheers mate... I pulled a pic of the net and i got the info from that. Not sure of the exact colours but the pic i got is from one thats still flying....i liked it so that was used as the guide! Seems to me people either do them all silver or all green....the pic i used has it like this. Decision made!!! Not going to lose any sleep over it!

Nobby

Ok.... underside paint on...and since this pic the top side has had some as well! Can't say i'm happy with the the new Humberol paint....don't seem to be as good as it was 20 or so years ago. Or is it me! Went to Model shop for a pot o paint...you guessed...came out with some more kits! I'll justifie it by saying that one of them was a Tank....haven't done a tank since...oh...bout 81! Any way if anybodys still following this thread here's a pic with two of my trusty workforce!!!

skip.jpg

Looking good Nobby, BTW, you do indeed have AMS..! :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Thought so!....what am ito do....is there a cure? Seem i can't build anything these days without doing something to it to improve it! Just got a Revell Swordfish and thoughts turned straight to what i could do to improve!....mags and books out....looking at other peoples work .....oh man! :rolleyes:

I know the feeling! I actually recently finished one of these Hurris as a relaxing, "OOB" build but still couldn't resist a bit of minor detailing here and there. For instance, Airfix didn't seem bothered about the pitot probe under the port wing. Come to think of it - and I missed this off mine, too - they've not got the little stirrup-shaped boarding step which as far as I know should be on there, just aft of the wing root on the port side.

Will she wear the kit's 43 squadron markings? With mine, I found the "sky" on the squadron codes and tail band to be a really odd sort of sandy buff colour, which didn't look at all right. It may have just been mine, but better take a look anyway if that's the one you'd planned on?

She's looking mighty fine, keep up the good work. :)

like the progress Nobby... I am on the look out for a new kit (couple of failed bids on evilbay - 1 i am winning at the moment but dont hold out much hope) so casting around for some insipration before hitting my favourite model shop tomorrow lunchtime....

Cheers lads! Should have some more pics soon. Got the camo done so just got to unmask it all and all that but i'll keep posting!

Thanks for the interest! Think i'm starting to get a bee in me bonnet about the swordfish though!

Yeah...did notice the funny coulors on mine as we, but saw a thread on another "channel" and the guy said they turned out ok when he applied them. As for the missing bits ...i'll be putting them on! Strange how they could miss the step and pitot though!

Edited by Nobby

I know the feeling! I actually recently finished one of these Hurris as a relaxing, "OOB" build but still couldn't resist a bit of minor detailing here and there. For instance, Airfix didn't seem bothered about the pitot probe under the port wing. Come to think of it - and I missed this off mine, too - they've not got the little stirrup-shaped boarding step which as far as I know should be on there, just aft of the wing root on the port side.

Will she wear the kit's 43 squadron markings? With mine, I found the "sky" on the squadron codes and tail band to be a really odd sort of sandy buff colour, which didn't look at all right. It may have just been mine, but better take a look anyway if that's the one you'd planned on?

She's looking mighty fine, keep up the good work. :)

The odd colour Sky is on my example as well. For Sqn Ldr du Vivier's aircraft the markings aren't right in two areas: the codes should be white (although I've also seen pictures where the kit ones look OK once they're on over the camouflage). The other error is that there should be two RAF Ensign\Belgian Flag logos (one either side of the cockpit) so you'll need to raid another kit for the extra. Hopefully Airfix can correct these in a future reprint of the sheet.

The step was retractable, but if you plan to have the step down, note that the handhold on the fuselage automatically opens when the foot part is extended.

:doh: No i did not know that the little door opens!!!!! As it's all painted up now too late! Still going to put the step there though! I'll not lose sleep about it. Thanks for pointing it out though....next time eh? The decals i can fix...i'll hand paint the missing flags onto some decal sheet! I had to do it with an old Airfix P51-B where the kill markings (swastikas) were just represented as blobs because of censorship. Reckon if i can do those, the flags should be easy!!!LoL Just a pic to show yez!

P51b2.jpg

Update! Paint job just about done! Some tidying up and yellow leading edges to do but these wont take long. Found a better way to apply maskol as well ....instead of using a brush i now load it on with a cocktail stick!!!! Sounds daft but it's true! I find i have more control with the stick and i can get harder edges. Before anybody says owt....yes the camo demarcation line may be a little soft but i like it so neeeerrr! :tease:

DSCF1443.jpg

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg