Airfiix Hurricane MkIIc

Nice work on the landing lights Nobby

How did you do those please? Am wanting to get better results with my wing lights.

Cheers mate! Glad you noticed them cuz i was pretty happy myself when i did em! No secret really...the mouldings have little dimples in the back and i just filled them with silver paint. The lenses fit really well into to leading edge. If you do one though just make sure you get them the right way up. Tells you in the instructions anyway! Oh aye...i used Clearfix to fasten em in as well!

Looking good.

I really must get a few of these Hurricanes!

Cheers! ...I would if i were you. Its got its faults but from what i have seen even the mighty Hasegawa one is not perfect! Yes ...a nice little kit...enjoying it immensely!

Well i find that Clearfix is great for stuff like this. Recommended! Yes, the lenses fitted perfect...and i mean...PERFECT! I usually have to prat about with a bit of filler and masking, so it's nice not to have to bother!

Edited by Nobby

Well taken some time since the last post but what with people, family and friends, i finally got to make a dint on the Hurri!!! First a pic to show how well the Tamiya thinners worked as a setting solution..... Any body wanna buy some Micro sol/set???? Happy???? course i am!!!! :thumbsup:

DSCF1450.jpg

Now some pics of the job so far....A little touching up here and there especially on the fin decal....some sort of print error but easily fixed. What surprised me about the Decals is the letters and fuz band looked the wrong colour when on the sheet...put em on and they look ok! How??? beats me, but i'm happy about it. The Fuz band i was dreading as from past experience it could have all gone pear shaped! The Tamiya thinners came through though!

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

I've been watching this one unfold, and I have to stay it's looking great. I particularly like how the decals set. Is that the Tamiya X-20A thinners (I have some :))?

Cheers

Andy

Aye Doc! Its the very same stuff works a treat! I'll be using it all the time from now on! Works out cheaper as well and for me thats a good thing as i'm tight as a sharks bottom at 50 fathoms!!! :D

Thanks for the comments!!

So, how do they dump in the deep?

:owww:

With great difficulty i should say mate!!

Just a brief update ....After chasing little bits of painted decal sheet around for what seemed like hours, finally got a better Hurri canopy! Just a bit of touching up round the edges and it should look convincing enough! Also did another decal for under the canopy as somebody pointed out that it should have one on both sides! Not perfect but better than nothing. Think i'll have to invest in a smaller brush!!!!

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

nice canopy Nobby... as it was completly flat couldnt you've masked it and sprayed it? guess not as neat as the painted decal sheet....

not tried that before, painting decal sheet - do you use normal enamel.acrylic paint? do you have to coat it with anything. wonder if I could use it for the cockpit - was going to dab paint on to mimic dials where I have added panels, perhaps decal sheet would be easier - mind I am talking 1-2 mm areas so I think just black panels will be the best I can manage

Rob yes...works with enamel or acrylic...Just paint some clear varnish on to decal sheet to act as carrier film then paint whatever on to that. Used to do it all the time with R.C models for the scale stuff as you can't get what you want with decals. Works with the old gummed labels as well....if you can get any!!

As the canopy is thin, any sort of masking you try to cut on the canopy leaves you with not a lot to cut on to...risky! I find the easiest way to do dials is to us a cocktail stick. Load with with paint hold vertical, put a bit on then load with black and do the centre of the dial. Takes a bit of practice but i find i end up with round dials as opposed to trying to do them with a brush. You cold cut the very tip of as wel and sort of print the dials with just a touch of paint.

Hokey dokey!...well IF anybodys still following this thread, heres where i'm at so far! Since i took the pics i've added undercarriage and guns. Added a mirror to the canopy and put the little aerodynamic mass balance on the rudder trim tab. Just got a gun site to make, a Pitot and the Stirrup step. The prop is just resting in the hole for the photo...dont think i'd leave it looking like that did you??? :D

DSCF1469.jpg

DSCF1471.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looking very nice! How did you do the shading on the gun access panels and control surfaces? Looks subtle.

Cheers Ben!....I used pastels for the shading mate...Cut an old paint brush right down to near the Ferule and put some on then just dry brush as you would normally. The paint chipping was done with grey and metalcote. The hinge lines and panel lines were done with a pencil. when you then matt varnish it all sort of blends in looking less harsh than the normal wash way.

Boy that's a nice Hurricane!

Perhaps the leading digit has been cut off in the photo (9? :lol: ).

Kev

Cheers big kev! No thats what i paid about a year ago at the local model shop!.....but i did notice its gone up considerably since!!! :confused:

Not to worry...as i use it for Decals as well still works out cheaper than Micro Sol/set so at least its got two use's now!

Hey, she's come on since I last checked this thread! Looking sweet, I love the weathering - looks just right for the scale. :)

As for thinners and price, I use isopropanol/propan-2-ol/isopropyl alcohol/IPA that I found in the pharmacy (had to ask for it as it's not kept on the shelves). The stuff I have is 70% (w/v) IPA , and it worked out at £6 for a 600ml bottle which is a fair deal cheaper than my local hobby shop sold Tamiya thinners. Does exactly the same job and smells the same (I think Tamiya thinners probably is pretty much isopropanol), though I admit I've not tried it as a setting solution for decals. It's a handy source of thinners now, since I don't know of a Tamiya stockist in the same county, anymore!

Edited by Davec_24

• 10 months later...