1/72 DC9-14

kev67

Hi

Any DC9 experts out there that could help me with information regarding the DC9-14, as I shall be building for a future build the 1/72 Welshmodel Continental Airlines, DC9, and I have in mind to have the passenger door open with steps leading up to it, I don't want to add seats as this would be to time consuming, so would just like to know about the detail inside near the door, plus any photos of the undercarriage. I have looked on line for detailed photos such as Airlines.net but have not found any photos that I am after, any help would be of great interest

In 1/72 you have more scope for detail but fwiw in 1/144 all I do usdually is put 2 side panels either side of the door, painted white, perhaps with a small poster or something on, and a backing piece opposite the door with a galley curatin drawn closed. There isnt much else in there.

On the other hand, to get some light in there, you might think about opening the galley access door as well and put a galley in. A generic kind of galley would do.

1/72 also gives you scope for installing a cockpit and having the cockpit door open, also the side windows, gets a bit more light in.

Decaled cockpit winodws in 1/72, imho, look wrong so if your using clear windows, there's a bit of space to fill

In 1/72 you have more scope for detail but fwiw in 1/144 all I do usdually is put 2 side panels either side of the door, painted white, perhaps with a small poster or something on, and a backing piece opposite the door with a galley curatin drawn closed. There isnt much else in there.

On the other hand, to get some light in there, you might think about opening the galley access door as well and put a galley in. A generic kind of galley would do.

1/72 also gives you scope for installing a cockpit and having the cockpit door open, also the side windows, gets a bit more light in.

Decaled cockpit winodws in 1/72, imho, look wrong so if your using clear windows, there's a bit of space to fill

I will be cutting all the windows out and adding crystal clear, I shall probably just have detail showing inside the galley and leave passenger and pilots door closed, cutting out all the windows will be a task all on its own so I do not want to go to mad otherwise it will never be done. I will also scratch build the staircase leading up to the door

I have an Aircraft in Miniature 1/72 DC-9/C-9 Nightingale vacuform in the stash. It has a white metal u/c set and you might be able to get a set from AiM if you write and ask Neil Gaunt. I could try an find the kit I have and take some photos of the white metal too, I've just got to remember which box it's in.

http://www.aim72.co.uk/

EDIT: D'oh! just re-read your first post, what I wrote doesn't help does it!!

I would drop Steve Gardner a PM, he's Britjet on the forum here, he might have some photos of the DC-9. He was part of AiM a few years ago.

Edited by kitnut617

I have an Aircraft in Miniature 1/72 DC-9/C-9 Nightingale vacuform in the stash. It has a white metal u/c set and you might be able to get a set from AiM if you write and ask Neil Gaunt. I could try an find the kit I have and take some photos of the white metal too, I've just got to remember which box it's in.

http://www.aim72.co.uk/

EDIT: D'oh! just re-read your first post, what I wrote doesn't help does it!!

I would drop Steve Gardner a PM, he's Britjet on the forum here, he might have some photos of the DC-9. He was part of AiM a few years ago.

As I have never done a AIM kit I could not comment on what they are like, but there web site does not show the DC-9. If the Welshmodel DC-9 is going to be as good as the A320 then there should not be any problems, but finding detailed photos of the wheel bay and unercarriage is quite hard

Edited by kev67

Yes he doesn't show it at the moment, I thought maybe he might have an u/c set hanging around or something, the link was so you could contact him. But it's a moot point right.

...I shall probably just have detail showing inside the galley and leave passenger and pilots door closed,.......I will also scratch build the staircase leading up to the door

If your going to include the stair, surely it makes sense to have the pax door open?

Especially if you want to put some detail inside, same with the galley.

As to the time it takes, to do the basic detail, with super-doing it, doesnt take long - plastic card decorated to look right is all you need.

If your going to include the stair, surely it makes sense to have the pax door open?

Especially if you want to put some detail inside, same with the galley.

As to the time it takes, to do the basic detail, with super-doing it, doesnt take long - plastic card decorated to look right is all you need.

As Welshmodels are not you most basic kits they do require a lot of work so I don't want it to take to long, cutting out all the windows will be challenging enough and adding scribed lines and other stuff, so I think that opening one door will be enough for me. Once I have received the model from Welshmodels I shall make a start, hopefully next week I shall start a work in progress

The picture below shows what I shall probably do but not in the Southern Airlines colours though

4757233696_40f73e943e_b.jpg

Edited by kev67

that works:)

I still think you should put a cockpit in there, at 1/72 thats a very big empty space