O&P's Build

Nice one!

I will look forward to seeing how this turns out. (I am - unfortunately - old enough to have been in one, in my youth (Aer Lingus))

Xcuse my ignorance - what is B.K.S.??

Interesting scale - neither 1/72 nor 1/144. Is that a scale like some of the "classic" revell kits, that was designed to fit into the box?

Prenton

Hi Prenton B.K.S was a airline set up after WW 2 in the north east and is credited with opening up air travel to us oop north. The initials come from the surnames of the founders Barnby Keegan and Stevens. They were absorbed into B.E.A and ultimately British Airways in 1973. Because they flew into my local airport, Viscounts were the first aircraft type I became aware of probably from this very airline. The kit is a remake of an old Hawk kit which I think is an American manufacturer and the scale was quite popular for airliners in its day Frog did a few types in this scale. I too have flown on a Vicount Belfast to Leeds in the ninties so as it was the first turboprop in service in the 1950s it was quite a succesful aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a slow start with this but it is under way. Used two pack epoxy to make the cabin windows, there a bit milky the epoxy was time expired but looks better than I can paint and I havent seen any decals for the windows of this kit.

389942650.jpg

There was a bit of warpage of the parts and the fit of the naceles will need a bit of working on but considering the age of the kit its not bad at all

I am now working on thining the wing trailing edges and getting the engine nacelles fitted.

389942652.jpg

Good looking start!

Can I ask how you got the epoxy to conform to the fuselage curvature? Tape on the outside of the fuselage or something? I have a Rugrat resins Andover to build sometime in the future & I don't think the decal windows they provide will be good enough in 1/72 so my plan (which could well change!) is to cut out the windows & glaze them with 'something', so am always looking out for new ideas!

Cheers

Keef

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Keef

The best thing is to cut the windows out, thin down the wall and stick clear plastic on the inside

The glass should not be flush.there was an indent where the glass was stuck against the outer skin.

O & P

The Hawk Viscount (Glencoe) is basically a good kit but unfortunately I came too late to point out the biggest error in the kit

The pax windows are undersized and the wrong shape...it is easy though to file them out correctly.....but probably well too late now...sorry

The other issue with this Viscount is it can only be made as one of the very first Capital machines without modifying the kit to a greater or lesser degree.

It certainly is not right for any of the decals issued for it....except the Capital livery

!/96 is a definitely a bona-fide scale being half 1/48 and as mentioned very popular at one time. This is an imperial scale unlike 1/100 which is a metric scale....there is quite a big different in size between the 1/96 Viscounts from FROG and Glencoe to the Faller 1/100 Viscount.

Garry

Edited by garryrussell

• 1 year later...
I will be building the Glencoe Viscount for this group Build. Hope to finish it in B.K.S coulors

389045911.jpg

389045915.jpg

Did you get it finished? I'm just finalising a BKS one now. Having built 4 of these now, I have had 2 badly warped fuselages which were short shot in the same area so there must be a production problem. I'm ex BKS/Northeast/Cambrian/BA myself (engineering) and the kit is a V700D therefore good for a BKS example. I have found it best to fill the windows and doors and use decals for them. But not a bad kit at all for something produced in the 1950s.

I'll try to put some pictures on here in a while, when I've finished the two Cambrian V701s.