Group build chat

richellis

Hi, and welcome to the group build!

This is a little area for us to chat, and discuss builds.

Ask questions etc!

Well, im in with a revell 737-8 Ryan Air, 737-2 in 200 scale in Alhoa, and a vac form 737-3 in bmi baby!

That will be my first ever vac-form, so any tips!

Vac-form is down to you, Rich :)

I'm also in with a 1930s HP45 and an Ilyushin IL-86. Depending on how things work out, you *might* even get a third one, as there's a "widebody" group build starting probably end of August on ATF - I'm toying with the idea of doing a DC-10 or a 777 for the ATF build and also as a third entry for this one, if I can finish it within a month :)

Hey Rich,

What scale is the 737 vac in? I have an AIM 1/72 737-300 kit to attack but I am not sure if I will tackle it now. My first attempt at a vac failed miserably and I need to attempt something a little easier before I attempt my vac backlog.

So I will either have ago at a Revell A319 or a Airfix Tristar (or was it a Revell kit?) for the GB. Though I am also tempted by a A300 Beluga as well.

Its the 1/144 scale 737, I want to get the bigger 1/72 but Im going to get some practice first!

I may do a beluga if I get a kit, and have the time, Im planning a dreamlifter conversion soon, to go with my dreamliner Ive got on the bench

I have a question on how windows are treated as I've never done an airliner before.

The kit has clear window strips... I'm not really a fan of window decals so would rather keep them clear. But masking? Is there a good technique to neatly mask all these little windows or do I have a horrible task ahead of me? :hypnotised:

Maybe leave them open and try crystal klear afterwards?

You can do either. I have used clearfix before, but with the 787 build I have I used some liquid mask on the windows before gluing them into the fuselage

Edited by richellis

Maybe leave them open and try crystal klear afterwards?

Anyone tried glazing using clear decal sheet? I did this on a 1/72 DC-2 and it looked quite good. I would think it would be even more effective in 1/144.

Cliff

See my build of the IL86 on this GB - the approach I'm using will only work if there's a cheat-stripe along the window line for the livery you're using - and the results remain to be seen - but might be of interest.

You can do either. I have used clearfix before, but with the 787 build I have I used some liquid mask on the windows before gluing them into the fuselage

Good thought, Rich - I've not used liquid masking before, but that sounds like it should give a nice neat result.

Does sound like the thing to try. Would pva also work? Just peel it off after?

Usually with awkward masking I use blutak carefully spread out. Works great, but I wasn't going to try that with all those windows! :banghead:

Im planning a dreamlifter conversion soon, to go with my dreamliner Ive got on the bench

What's involved with that then? Do you just get a hot-dog bun and glue it to the fuselage?

1100715.jpg

thats about it!

I need to grab a revell 747-4 as the base first, cut and add a bit of pipe to the top!

Not quite that simple though, as there is a lot of fairing in from the top of the wing root. The front & rear bulges are also somewhat more complex than they first appear, and doesn't the break in the fuselage have a bit of a "swelling" at either side of the joint to accomodate hinges, locking parts etc.?

yep. A friend who lives in the US sent me loads of pics of one as he had the chance to get up-close. Lots of searching on the net and I have lots of info on how the real aircraft was done.

Just need a revell 747, and some space on the bench!

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on my Trimotor, Rich - I'll post some pictures later tonight.

I'm facing a modelling embargo next week as preparations ramp up for my daughter's wedding at the weekend. I've spent this afternoon tidying everything away to allow my modelling room to be converted into a hair and beauty salon (I kid you not!).

I've resisted the request for my Iwata to be made available for the application of spray tan. :tapedshut:

So it'll be a couple of weeks probably before I pick up the Trimotor again, but I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on what the rest of you are getting up to.

Cheers

Cliff

Need to finish off my Abrams on the Gulf War GB first, then I can concentrate on the Caravelle.

What's the technique on dealing with cockpit glass on an Airliner. I gather most people just fill in the holes with filler, sand down and paint or decal? Is that about right?

What I've done with mine, as surprisingly the clear part fits the hole quite well, is paint it black on the inside, then I'll be fixing in place with PVA.

• 2 weeks later...

slowly edging through the visible interiors on my MD80....just doing the rear entry stairwell area atm...

This was intended to go to Swissair (the DC9 will still be Alitalia) but the MD will probably be the red version of the SAS Paper planes special c/s now as

I discovered I dont have a set of window decals for the MD80......but the SAS sheet has them, so....

EDIT-

oh btw about the windows and the comments above re masking - this is a minicraft kit so it doesnt have any cabin windows...decals required coz I cant be othered to try drilling them all out...

cockpit will have its windows tho and the pilots side winodws open to give a better view into the almost fully detailed cockpit :)

Edited by kev1n

• 3 weeks later...

@richellis: Sorry for hijacking your thread :(

I'll take it over to this thread ;)

If you see a Revell A310 kit in your shop would you please be one? I'd send you the money previously per Euro-Swift or PayPal.

The Revell kit is outsold all over Germany :(

There's only one shop who sells it for 60 € instead of the actual price of 11,99 €

That's too expensive :(