1:48 Tamiya Beaufighter Mk VI Night Fighter

AnonymousDFB1

Well if you have a look in pic three you will see that there is a prop blade missing. My first thoughts were to scratch build one but....

I've got around it by ordering some prop blurs $2.50 inc P&P from USA to UK... Bargain

So ground running or in flight? Ideas please...

Hi Mish. Love this kit. If need be I may have a spare prop and I might well be in St Neots in the next week or so?

If you're going for the blurs I reckon ground running with crew entering the aircraft as if about to embark into the night sky!

Howard

Having a bit of problem getting the prop blurs as the guy that makes and sells then in CA has just put his postage up to $13 and that is £1 more than 2 x three bladed propblurs. But I'm hoping to buy them and get them sent to a friend in Denver who is sending me a package of bits.

Anyway did a bit of work on the Beaufighter this evening, mostly spraying all the parts that need to be interior green,

Nice start Mish. Those collector rings are a bit of a pain to sort out the colours. I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Howard

Looking good Mish, keep the updates coming.

Also, what looks great on the cowl rings after you have painted them bronze is to apply some maskol with a broken piece of sponge then AB the rings black. Once all is dry remove the maskol and you have the effect of paint peeling away due to deat showing the bronnze metal underneath.

Cheers

Right this mornings progress.

While I was waiting for a few small bits to dry I thought I'd try and knock up a bit of a display base.

So starting with a thick piece of plasticard I started scouring 7cm 'squares.

DSCF3190.jpg

Here I have run some black wash in so I can see where the scours are

DSCF3191.jpg

A bit of preshading

DSCF3192.jpg

Than after a light dusting of Tamiya Deck Tan and a good covering via the airbrush of Phil's (Promodeller) new concrete wash.

DSCF3193.jpg

it looks better to the eye than it's come out in the photo.

At this point some body will probably pop up and say that the RAF didn't have surfaces like that in WW2?

Nearly happy with the engines and engine cowls. Tamiya Copper wixed with Matt Black and a couple of washes of Tamiya Smoke, may add one more coat I think.

DSCF3194.jpg

One MLG assembly done

DSCF3195.jpg

the other's being made

DSCF3196.jpg

This afternoon saw me finish of the painting, put a coat of matt on and unmask the engines.

DSCF3201.jpg

Still got to decal, put the antennas on, nave lights, varnish again, then I have to make and paint the ground crew.

BTW the props are just for show at the moment as I'm waiting for some prop blurs to arrived from the US.

More soon...

When I'm not at model shows, airshows, visiting friends etc, I model every Saturday for about 4 - 5 hours and a 2 - 3 hours on Sundays. This week I have been on leave from work so I've got about 4 hours in on Monday, Thursday and Friday. Of course it helps living alone I have nobody to please other than myself, oh and the cat :)

Should get the decaling done tomorrow, there's not many in this kit and then the rest finished off next weekend?

Edited by Mish

Your Beau is coming along beautifully Mish, I look forward to seeing the next steps in your rapid progress! I'm glad to see that you also like Tamiya's NATO black for a night finish, far and away the best paint for the job in my humble opinion!

Max

Got a little done today.

Did some subtle post shading to try and give the plane some 'presence'

DSCF3221.jpg

And then got most the major decals on

DSCF3223.jpg

DSCF3224.jpg

Sorry the colours are a little out as my main laptop has developed a fault and the backup doesn't have have a program with white balance correction.

More soon...

Thanks, I used plenty of my own setting solution, Microsol and water 50/50 mix on the area where the decals to go then once the decal is in place, roll a cotton bud over to get rid of air/mix. Then Microsol on the decal and multiple 'pricks' with a acupuncture needle.