1/144 ATL-98 Carvair Conversions

Peter O

I'm planning to build a Carvair. There are two conversions, one by Bra.Z., the other by F-RSIN. Has anyone used either of these? There are some photos of the pieces online, but I haven't found any reviews or build articles.

Bra.Z. : http://www.brazmodels.com/McDonnald%20Doug...-98kitphoto.htm

F-RSIN: http://www.f-rsin.com/pages/collection/14028-293031.html

Does anyone have photos of the inside of the fuselage of either kit?

The resin F-RSIN kit includes a vehicle loader and decals, but the Bra.Z. is injection-molded, so adding interior details may be easier. The prices are about the same.

Since the Bra.Z. doesn't include decals, does anyone make Carvair decals?

Thanks!

Peter

Thanks, Graham. How long ago did you get it? I emailed F-RSIN last week, and Laurent told me the fuselage is hollow, but only the floor is represented. The walls are only roughly carved. Perhaps he's remastered it.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have both the braz and the F-resin ATL-98's and I would go with the injection moulded Braz version. The f-rsin kit is hollow at the level of the car deck but really doesn't fit together too well. It has a nicely detailed cargo door that has rib detail on the inner surface but other than that the Braz kit is better. i had intended to use the cargo door off the F-rsin kit on the braz conversion but the F-rsin is way too small.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Between your experience and the ARC reply, I'm starting to lean towards the Bra.Z version too. The only problem is that I'll have to find aftermarket decals or draw and print my own.

Peter

There are a good number of decals for the Carvair available. Look under the recent post on here 'Some new decal sheets to come from S&M Decals'. Got a couple of them myself.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I just got hold of the F-rsin version and I'm not impressed

It's very crude and there is a lot of excess resin on the inside of one half

One side the fin is razor thin and just about there

TBH it will be easier to scratch build the fuse than clean this mess up

Nice decal sheet though.but there are errors on that

Inside of the Fuse

CIMG0633.jpg

Garry

Edited by garryrussell

I just got hold of the F-rsin version and I'm not impressed

It's very crude and there is a lot of excess resin on the inside of one half

One side the fin is razor thin and just about there

TBH it will be easier to scratch build the fuse than clean this mess up

Nice decal sheet though.but there are errors on that

Garry

Ugh! I'm glad I went with the Bra.Z. conversion. It took forever to get, but it's worth the wait.

Peter

Well, you certainly got what you paid for! :o

I got mine from AHS. Russell has them listed as in stock, but he actually had to order it from Bra.Z. It took just under 2 months from placing my order to having it in hand.

http://www.airline-hobby.com/shop/index.cf...amp;ItemID=6406

I don't know if he got more than one or not, so you might want to email first. Or, since you're on Bra.Z's side of the pond, it might be easier to get it from a closer distributor:

http://www.brazmodels.com/Retail.htm

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Walter. As a matter of fact, I scoffed those up awhile back when I was first considering the Carvair. They're superb pics! I like Fat Annie more than most of the usual liveries, so she's on top of my list at the moment. I just have to create the Fat Annie nose art.

Peter