Tamiya F60 OOB

Madmonk

After the disasster that stalled my second GB with the CK I dug the F60 out of the attic and decided to do a simple OOB build.

The kit has been around for a while now and reviews cover elsewhere so this will be a straight forward build diary, I don't intend going over the shortfalls of the kit, I think we know most of them.

Box Top

F60-1.jpg

The engine and gearbox go together nicely, the engine just needs toning down a little.

F60-3.jpg

The harness is paper which looks odd however the PE buckle detail is okay.

F60-2.jpg

The floor plate was painted and the body work primed yesterday. I have the Zero paint 2 part paint for the Mica Red so will hopefully get the silver down this evening.

F60-4.jpg

F605.jpg

F60-6.jpg

After the Brazil match I finished off the rear suspension and sanded down the bodywork but did not have my camera to hand so more of that tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, comments as always, welcome.

Warren

Nice to see this kit being built - there aren't enought modern cars available in plastic. The fit of the rear bodywork looks a little sloppy for Tamiya, although it's only a test fit, perhaps it'll be better once it's built.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Obi-Jiff,

It is just a test fit and the side pods are not fitted as I have kept them on the sprue for painting. The engine cover also has a locating pin in it that is not fitted yet which should make the fit better.

Well thanks to an accident prone father in law, now in hospital with a cracked rib and collapsed lung after a fall in the bathroom, last nights painting had to be abandoned so nothing to report.

Hopefully as long as he doesn't fall out of the hospital bed at some point I should be back on track tonight.

Last night spent finishing engine & gearbox.

The shrouds round the brakes are in two pieces but moulded in such a way that they have to be installed as two pieces unless you start carving the location pins and holes about. On the next build I want to go te whole hog with CF so will have to do some cutting and carving.

Got transfixed by a Greek team prepared to play for a draw that would put them out of the World Cup, not sure what the manager was thinking.

Anyway phptos of compleyed back end.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Thanks for looking, more tomorrow, I might need something to occupy me tonight if we play like the last two matches this afternoon!

Warren

Painting this using Zeros 2 part paint, silver undercoat and top coat red.

IMG_0755.jpg

Nose cone complete, rest of bodywork needs another couple of coats.

IMG_0752.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the red goes down on top of the silver.

Thanks for looking.

Warren

Quick Update.

I am using the Zero 2 part Ferrari paint on this and have to admit that I started with some concerns as to how it would turn out. The silver basecoat is a very heavily thinned paint, almost silver flecks suspended in thinners, getting and even coat was not easy as the flecks settle in the cap so the first time I used it I got great coverage initially but the last few passes were mainly thinners. I did nothing to the basecoat before appliying the topcoat red, this is again a thinned paint and the instructions are to apply 2 coats, again getting even coverage is essential.

I wondered how this would work, would the topcoat be too dense for the basecoat but I need not have worried as the prescribed 2 coats looked fine, albeit not the colour I was expecting, this was more due to the flat finish to the Zero paint. I then gave it a couple of mist coats of clear before a final "wet" coat and the deep metalic red I was expecting was there.

Very impressed with the paint it went on easy without any further thinning and looks great. The only drawback is with me and not the paint as it needs a smooth surface to look its best, where I have had problems with the primer blotching although I have sanded it flat it was obviously not flat enough as they stand out on the red finish. Luckily most will be under decals.

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

I will let the clear dry for a couple of days then a quick polish before adding the decals and then a final couple of coats of clear. Then it needs masking to paint all the black carbon fibre.

Thanks for looking.

Warren

Nose cone decalled.

As it is OOB the fastenings for the nose and wing are decals, fun to put on!!

F60-10.jpg

Fatherly duties tonight as the School Summer Concert is on so more on Friday hopefully.

Warren

Nice going. although metallic F1 Ferraris still look weird to me!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

I'll second that emotion, the "Old Man" is probably spinning as we speak.

Nice clean build Warren, can't wait to see more.

Edited by AntPhillips

Just a little bit more, managed to get most of the decals on the body and wings whilst watching Iron Man on DVD last night, great film! The line from his PA about taking the trash out gets me every time.

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

The Shell decal on the sidepod is a nightmare to apply as it is the normal shape but the pod is a series of compound curves, plenty of setting solution and a piece of kitchen roll did the job. I do find that the decals are difficult to remove from the backing sheet even after a longer than recomended soaking, they also stick very well!

I have to admit I'm with Obi and Ant on the colour, it takes some getting use to. As I've said before the Zero 2 part is very good, my airbrushing experience has probably let me down in a couple of places where the red could be more even, I have a second one in the stash along with some photo etch and barcode decals so hopefully that one will get a better coverage.

Has anyone used the Tamiya recommended TS-85, obviously not any UK builders as we can't get it here, what is that like as a finish.

This one will look bare I'm afraid as it will be a true OOB build so no barcode, that and the metalic red will make it look strange.

Clear coating over the weekend, weather permitting.

Thanks for comments so far and for looking

Warren

Couple of updates from weekend.

All bodywork now clearcoated, I also understand why it is best to have a separate airbrush for clear or a very good cleaning routine if you only have one! Some of the white decals have a slight red tinge to them!!

Anyway rear wing now built

IMG_0761.jpg

Front wing completed

IMG_0760.jpg

The front wing won't stay on the front of the car without gluing which is a pity as it would be better if it ws detachable.

Should have it done by the weekend all being well.

Thanks for looking.

Warren

Finished.

Not the best I've done and there are a few issues with the kit OOB.

IMG_0762.jpgIMG_0749.jpg

Engine detail is sparse, the photos with the covers off look wrong, a bit of "weathering" might have helped but the lack of wires and pipes is too obvious.

The panel fit is not what I expected from Tamiya and the nose needs some assistance if you want to display it on.

The rear left corner would not sit straight and now has a slightly bent pushrod to get it something like decent, not sure what happened there as the right side is okay.

The paper seatbelts are okay but would be better if replaced and not with the decal one in the kit.

The decals were difficult to lift off the sheet and needed a good 5 mins in water before they would budge, they did however go down very well. The only exception was the Shell logo on the pod and this was due to the curves it was asked to conform to rather than the decal itself.

From my point of view not a difficult kit but one that needs some aftersales bits adding.

The Zero 2 part paint system will look good if applied evenly, I have a couple of areas that are less red than others, it also needs a very smooth surface as any imperfections are noticable once the red is applied.

The lack of Barcode decals makes it look wrong but again aftersales decals are available.

The tyres need sanding to get rid of the mould line, which I might do at a later stage.

Is it worth £52, not really, £40-£45 tops, I have just bought a second from Themodeler.com at £31 as wells investiong in some PE and barcode decals from GPM.

More images of finished car in showroom.

Thanks for looking.

Warren

Obi,

The kit is of the usual Tamiya quality, as a plastic kit goes. The rear wheel problem is due to the rear wishbone popping out which is not easy to see. The lack of engine detail is no more than the F189 where all the plumbing is missing too. The real downer for me was the panel fit of the bodywork and not sure how that can be resolved.

I was playing with my camera last night as I have a problem with the autofocus on one lens, so a trip to Jessops to get it sorted, my telephoto lens has a macro facility so I took a shot of the nose cone to see if I could get a good close up of the Zero 2 part metalic paint.

Here is the result.

IMG_6942.jpg

The colour rendering is not quite right due to the lighting but gives you an idea of what it is like on plastic.

Again many thanks for the comments.

Warren