BoB Spitfire I of 610 Squadron colours

Trubbie

Gentlemen,

Thanks to the advice given here by various chaps, most noteably Edgar, on various aspects of the Spitfire I (BoB), my Spifire has progressed sufficiently far enough to consider painting.

My references (not impressive by any means) show a confliction of opinion. Some say that the undersides of the Spitfires from 610 Squadron (code DW-*), during the BoB, to be Sky.

Others say Sky Blue, ie the very light blue and not a misnomer for Sky type S.

Any ideas would be very greatly appreciated at this stage of the build......the bit that causes me most trouble.....a fairly decent model ruined by a dodgy finish.....Oh dear.

Regards,

Trubbie

Phil, I wish it was that easy. If built in May it will have been painted with White and Night undersurfaces, as Sky was not introduced until early June 1940. At some stage this will have been repainted, either at an MU or on the unit. There is a lot of evidence, direct and indirect, that a variety of colours was used, some of which may be seen as an attempted match for Sky and others (like Sky Blue) perhaps a misunderstanding. However, I believe (for what it's worth) that the majority of Fighter Command aircraft will have been repainted in Sky or a reasonable match.

It may well be that 601 was an exception - it isn't on the list of exceptions I can immediately find. Unless you know of a particular source which quotes something else, and have reason to believe it well-founded, I'd recommend you go with Sky.

As a matter of interest, who suggests it was Sky Blue? (And which Sky Blue?) He might well know something I don't.

Phil, I wish it was that easy. If built in May it will have been painted with White and Night undersurfaces, as Sky was not introduced until early June 1940. At some stage this will have been repainted, either at an MU or on the unit. There is a lot of evidence, direct and indirect, that a variety of colours was used, some of which may be seen as an attempted match for Sky and others (like Sky Blue) perhaps a misunderstanding. However, I believe (for what it's worth) that the majority of Fighter Command aircraft will have been repainted in Sky or a reasonable match.

It may well be that 601 was an exception - it isn't on the list of exceptions I can immediately find. Unless you know of a particular source which quotes something else, and have reason to believe it well-founded, I'd recommend you go with Sky.

As a matter of interest, who suggests it was Sky Blue? (And which Sky Blue?) He might well know something I don't.

Graham,

Thank you very much.

I have a picture ( a well known one, page 62 of the Aero Details book) of 610 Squadron, showing DW-K and DW-O in flight. According to the caption, it was taken during June and shows a light underside on the port wing and fuselage, so definately not black/white and probably sky?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Trubbie

Hi Trubbie,

I've built this spit in 1/48 recently

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50131

I found some good history on this aircraft, and as far as I can tell it was built in May '40 so should have RAF Sky undersides

Thank you Phil.

It looks like Sky then.

Regards,

Trubbie

Interesting that DW-O wasn't delivered to 610 until July '40 - so that caption may well be erroneous....

Phil,

Looking at the 610squadron web site, it seems that there were varoius incarnations of DW-K and DW-O.

DW-O was first X4011 in August (possibly, as there is no mention of an earlier date), then X4063 in September. Similarly, DW-K was N3029, X4102 and possibly X4067 in that order chronologicaly.

So it seems you are right.

Regards,

Trubbie.