RAF Mustang III question....

Artie

Hi all....I'm building an ICM NA P51B right now, and I'm planning to build it as a late RAF Mustang III in silver colour. Were them natural metal or silver doped instead? The cockpit colour...was it zinc chromate green or british cockpit green? And last, but not least.....Did they have british control grips?

Any info will be very welcome...

Best regards from down under...

Hi all....I'm building an ICM NA P51B right now, and I'm planning to build it as a late RAF Mustang III in silver colour. Were them natural metal or silver doped instead? The cockpit colour...was it zinc chromate green or british cockpit green? And last, but not least.....Did they have british control grips?

Natural Metal...

US Interior Green.....but whether this is Zinc Chromate or another colour is a subject in itself as the interior colour will depend largely on where the airframe came from.....I'm sure an expert will embellish....:whistle:

US Control Grip......

British Radios.....

If you're modelling a late model Mustang III it would have had the tail fillet like the P-51D - if I recall correctly the ICM P-51B is the early model with no tail fillet so you might be better off modelling an earlier III in Day Fighter scheme (I know it's boring...) or buying the Accurate Miniatures P-51C which has the fillet.

Also don't forget the Malcolm Hood....

HTH?

Tim

Edited by timbo33

Not overall natural metal ,as the wings were filled ,primed and painted aluminium in order to preserve the laminar flow characteristics. Hence Mustang wings should show no panel lines apart from the gun access panels.

Hi Artie, Those uncamoflaged Mustang MKIII would have been stripped of paint at MU's

You can do a " Silver " Mustang MKIII no problem from the ICM kit eg PK*J of 303 SQ FB 161

If you want to do for example PK*H FB376 of 303 you will need either the " LOON " conversion or the Acc Min P51C

as this A/C had Fin Fillet as a retro fit

Later models of P51C were factory fitted with Fin Fillet , but somewhere in the KH*** range , but P51B were retro fitted with Fin Fillet eg FZ194

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Artie

The Tamiya Mustang III kit contains markings for a III in an aluminium/silver finish without a tail fillet but with a Malcolm hood.

In addition to Andrew's comment not all the wing panel seams were filled,only the seams from the wing leading edge back to the main wing spar and those inboard of the ailerons were filled. You can find a diagram of the relevant seams on the ARC forum.

Going off the topic slightly,Terry would you know what happened to the filler when the airframes were repainted,was it removed or replaced I would of thought stripping down the wings would of damaged it.

Malcolm

Artie

The Tamiya Mustang III kit contains markings for a III in an aluminium/silver finish without a tail fillet but with a Malcolm hood.

In addition to Andrew's comment not all the wing panel seams were filled,only the seams from the wing leading edge back to the main wing spar and those inboard of the ailerons were filled. You can find a diagram of the relevant seams on the ARC forum.

Going off the topic slightly,Terry would you know what happened to the filler when the airframes were repainted,was it removed or replaced I would of thought stripping down the wings would of damaged it.

Malcolm

So far as I'm aware Mal in many cases , it wasn't replaced as it didn't make that much difference and rapidly wore away in service anyway

Cheers

Terry McGrady

When Danny Morris was researching for his "Aces & Wingmen" books, he was told, by 8th. A.F. groundcrew, that they got so fed up with trying to get the wings back to their original standard that they stripped the whole lot from one, found that it made no difference to the performance, so did the lot. From that, it would appear that, if you see a n/m P-51, with, apparently, unpainted wings, it might well be the case.

Edgar

By the way - does anyone do an aftermarket 1/32 Malcolm Hood vac canopy for the Mustang? Had a look but couldn't see one

John

Mike West (Lone Star Models) and Jerry Rutman both apparently offer one. (both in USA)

bob

Thank you very much for your comments, Sirs...

I'm going to use the decals from the Tamiya kit. They state it as a 315th polish squadron, PK*V, FX985.

It seems the plane has not wing fillet at all. I've supposed it was a right colour scheme, but you never know...

The thing is I've never liked the looks of the B Mustangs, but I'de like to give the kit a chance. And RAF Mustangs are the way to go, IMHO.

Kind regards...