1/48 Flying Bedstead

Thanks Mish!

There is one in1/24 in theScience Museum in London but it's a bit basic. I used photos of it to get my head around the structure.

Once i started "growing" it with 0.8mm brass wire the structure explaned itself.

Don't you love the way the two engines act through the same centre??!!

Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking model. There's also one in the FAA Museum in Yeovilton sitting on a turntable.

Ive managed to get a couple of Nenes from Mig 15 kits but other than drawings pics and the Nenes Ive got it all to do. Hope it comes out as well as yours!

Colin

Awesome build!!!!

for inspiration a pic my grandfather took at Farnborough in what we think was 1960....

00485c43.jpg

:D

Now residing on display at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum in Crawfordsburn,just outside Bangor.

Good luck - let me know if I can help. There's plenty of stuff on the net.

I'm sure yours will be crisper than mine!

I'm plucking up the courage to do a tiny 1/72 one!

I do plan to do the whole Harrier story in 1/48, though....

(All talk!).

Jez.

If you made some plans or have a parts breakdown then I'd much appreciate them to get me going. The only plan I have is one I down loaded and its a bit too low resolution so I took a heap of pictures of the one in the science museum to help but you could save me a heap of time.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I got everything from the net as far as I remember. The chaps at FAST at Farnborough sent me some additional press photos but I had no close-ups of the cockpit so mine is an educated guess!

The only plan was from a simplified line drawing in a press report on the net

The fun was in working out the structure from the various photographic angles and the inevitable scaling.

I think the absolute scaling came from Aires' engine at 1:48 so my TMR might not even be the right size!!

I now have (conflicting!!) three-views of the Short SC.1 which I regard as the next step in the Harrier story and, as it lends itself to being at least partly clear vacformings, perhaps I should release a kit....

A sad time for Harrier fans....

Who's got drawings of the P11/27 prototypes and Kestrel???

All the best.

JK

• 4 weeks later...

Bit too small in 1:72.

THE scale but even the full-blown Harrier's a tiddler at 1" to 6'...!

I've got two Revell 1:32 GR1 s... What shall I do with them....?

I NEED a 1:24 GR9 - as a memorial - must I carve one out of solid wood and resin???

Let's lobby Trevor Snowdon for the next big Airfix rleas!!!

LR 101