1/48 Flying Bedstead

And I used to frequent a pub of the same name in Hucknall in my 'younger' days of Bikes, Birds & Pints

Had lots of framed pics on the walls etc.

Thems were the days me lad!

FromAda032.jpg

Pick taken 2 yrs ago on a 'Memory Lane' trip with my older fellow 'biker'!

Adrian

Try this... copy (CTRL+C) the code in the "Direct" box on yfrog, then click the Insert Image button on the posting window. Paste (CTRL+V) the image code into the popup windew, and press OK... you'll end up with code like this:

[img=http://a.yfrog.com/img690/7217/bedstead001.jpg]

When you submit your post, that will show up as an inline image, like this:

bedstead001.jpg

Job done... and nice work ^_^

That's a wonderful model, and such an unusual subject - it wouldn't even have occurred to me to make something like that. Well done Jez!!

How many 'Wows' does a model deserve? In this case I'm just going to add another one.... :wow:

I've often wondered why none of the manufacturers have attempted a kit of this important, errr, aircraft? I also didn't know it was fitted with two Nenes, I always assumed it was a testbed for Pagasus. You learn new stuff every day! :D

Edited by busdriver

...I always assumed it was a testbed for Pagasus....

At the time Bristol had not been bought by Rolls-Royce and both companies were pursuing very different approaches to VTOL. RR became very much into the "lots of small dedicated lift engines" route whereas Bristol were following Wibault's idea of thrust vectoring. I think there was a certain amount of reinventing history once RR & Bristol came together in order to give the impression that there was a natural linear development path from TMR to Pegasus/P1127 but in truth the path was from TMR to Shorts SC1 - which was very much an experimental aircraft with no service application. I'd guess the main (only?) common design feature between TMR & Pegasus is the reaction control systems for controlling the thing in a hover.

If you're interested in the subject, I'd recommend Not Much of an Engineer by Sir Stanley Hooker and Pegasus - The Heart of the Harrier by Andrew Dow. Both are excellent books.

Great model though, isn't it? Anyone know if there was ever a kit of the SC1?

Wow!

You re all VERY kind!

I sussed the image bit, I think, and have signed up with Image Shack.

I'll put more of my time wasting pictures up.

I'll show some in-progress pics of the Bedstead - not really terrible to make - just a bit labourious - and an excercise in jigging...(Not the dance you do with the rude words when you lose a pitot tube in the carpet...).

I love "wacky" subjects and British development (THE wackiest) aircraft.

You've determined my next one - a 1/48 SC1 - with some panels off.. do I need 5 RB188s???

I'll work my way upto a GR9 in 1/48.......see you in 2067

Up the Harrier!

Doing a Piper Navajo Chieftain in Rasberry for FAST at the moment...

Thanks again, my new chums!!!

Jez

You need 5 RB108s and an autostabiliser. :)

There's some great info and 3 pics in Harrier by Fancis Mason, including a picture of XG905's intakes "turfed" with freshly cut grass at he 1959 Society of British Aircraft Constructors Display at Farnborough.

I don't seem to be able to locate anything with a decent 3-view drawing. The only thing I could find that may be of use is in an old RR V/STOL brochure: "[XG900] is now in the Science Museum at South Kensington, London. [XG905] is now preserved in Nothern Ireland." I can only assume the Science Museum have it in store somewhere as I don't think it is on display.

Looking forward to your "work in progress" on this one Jez.

Looking forward to your "work in progress" on this one Jez.

Yeah Jez, none of these 'here it is finished' pictures! Let's have a full on build up article from you, including piccies, for the SC.1!! ;)

And thanks Kirk for the info, I love aviation history books and have just ordered Sir Stanley's book as recommended!

Doing a Piper Navajo Chieftain in Rasberry for FAST at the moment...

Another scratchbuilt? Or a Gremlin kit? Either way, please post piccies when that one's done as well!!

And I'd like to add another WOW for the Flying Bedstead!! Just brilliant stuff!! :thumbsup:

Keef

Any more advice on a starting point for a Sentinel R1 (Bombardier Global Express) in 1/72???

Did someone offer "Dannie" a set of desktop model blanks sometime ago???

After some threeviews on the SC1 now....

Anyone interested in a group build in 1/48 to complete the Harrier Story for FAST - the Farnborough museum and a nice bunch of helpful and knowledgeable people...???

We should perhaps start with a "Gyroptere" the Wilbaut design with helical rotating nozzles that was never built but inspired the Pegasus...?

...When in doubt, Viff!...

Jez

Scattered on the board at present:

Anigrand 1/72 GlobemasterIII (A beast...)

Vacform 1/72 Piper Navajo Chieftain in R.Ripple (Fiddly...)

Extrakit 1/72 Meteor F8 for a Korea veteran (Nice kit, thinnest decals in the world...)

Airfix 1/72 Orion III 2001 SpacePlane (Film buff stuff...)

Italeri 1/48 RAF Hercules C3 (Stretched with castings from it's own fuselge and currently abandonned...another beast...)

Classic Airframes 1/48 Canberra B? (Big canopy and nose window, lots of lead...in basecoat...)

Airfix 1/72 Trident One in BEA "Red Square" G-ARPR, the first passenger carrying fly-by-wire landing...for FAST...FINISHED!!!!)

Vacform 1/72 Vickers Windsor ( For Brooklands Museum... an exercise in sculpting and theft of Griffon engine fronts [via a mould] from a Frog Shackleton...one ugly bomber!)