Messerschmitt Bf 109-F2 Build Review

Mike

I've been a bit busy with my newborn son to do much, but I'll probably get the wings on over the next couple of days. :)

Gratuitous shot of my new son to tide you over ;)

monkey.jpg

• Like 2

My kit arrived through the week and I've just had a chance for a look at it. It's certainly a very impressive package, with the exception of the painting instructions which are brief to the point of uselessness.

John

Great looking nippa :-) Congrats!

I may try to do a build thread but this is all pretty new to me and I'm not sure exactly what to do.

I will read the 'how to' advice but don't hold your breath. Anyway, you're going to need your sleep now as you're going to be pretty busy from now on.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Mark :)

I managed to snatch a few moments in the workshop this last few days and glued the wings on, which were no drama at all. I also attached all of the flying surfaces, again with no drama. I decided to model the underside panel on the cowling closed, so glued that to the leading edge of the wing insert, but that exposed the slightly cock-eyed installation of the motor. The motor was removed, and replaced to fit snugly in the trough, and the nose part added. This showed me that the engine was also a little proud of the trough, so I enlarged the hole around the nose part to make everything fit. I suspect that the problem stems from 1) my installing the "cowling open" cylinder heads, and 2) closing up the underside cowling. I'll probably nip off the prop drive shaft and glue the prop direct to the bulkhead, as I'm not one for spinny props anyway.

The moral of this story is test fit your engine parts if you're displaying the cowls open :)

airframe1.jpg

The paint on the pilot's head has got a bit scuffed by all the handling, so I'll have to do a touch-up before I close the canopy around him :)

• Like 1

Upper cowl off and pilot in seems an unlikely although not impossible combination - or did I misunderstand your post?

Dave.

Nope... I just fancied showing off the pilot & engine :tease:

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got round to putting the primer on the main airframe. That's white primer, grey primer and black primer, all from Alclad. That stuff is exceptionally GOOD! :)

airframe2.jpg

The scheme is going to be a bird flown by Maj. Hannes Trautloft for JG54 in the summer of 1942, and I chose it because it was a little away from the norm, having wavy camo all over the upper surfaces, plus a lot of yellow on the nose, wing tips, tail and a band around the fuselage.

I found this profile on the web, and came across a skin for a flight sim to give me a pattern to follow for the camo :)

profile.jpg

Next job is yellow on the white primer, then some serious masking :frantic:

• Like 1

Mike,

Earlier you wrote, 'I read that the RLM02 option went after the Emil..'

Information contained in surviving copies of the relevant Messerschmitt documentation identifies the basic cockpit colour, including the seat, for the entire 109E, F-0, F-1 and the earliest F-2 series as 02 with the instrument panel in 66.

So, as yours is an F-2 it could have had either colour for the cockpit interior.

HTH (for your next early109 build ^_^ )

Cheers

Dave

Yellow was sprayed on the other night, then masked the next morning for some Lifecolor Lichtblau RLM76, which hasn't been post-shaded yet, and I might not even bother :)

airframe3.jpg

Next was the upper color, which I sprayed freehand in Lifecolor RLM02. I left a tiny amount of the pre-shade showing through, and post-shaded with a bit of Sandgrau(RAL7027) added to break up the monotony of the color:

airframe4.jpg

Camo splodges were next, again freehanded in Lifecolor Dunkelgrun RLM71 in a slightly patchy manner, as a few of the profiles showed spray marks here & there on the darker color. A bit of touching up here & there was needed, not least because I did the wing camo wrong on the port wing upper. :doh: Since the picture I've also cleaned up the wing leading edges, which were a bit wobbly :)

airframe5.jpg

I'm going to let the colors set up for a while and then give the whole airframe a coat or two of Klear so I can decal, as Lifecolor paints are matt, in case you didn't know ;)

• Like 1

Wow that's a nice looking bird right there. I'm currently working on Zvezda's 1/72 PE 8, and their attention to detail is really something. I can see myself purchasing quite a few of their kits in the future, if they're all to this level of detail.

Cheers :) I've been rather enjoying the build - it's just a little slower than normal due to the extra Daddy duties I've pulled recently ;)

Wow thats coming together really nice Mike, is it any better than the Tamiya version?

Cheers chap - probably not as easy to put together, but there's a little more detail in the cockpit/engine bay :)