Chieftan

Simon G

• 2 months later...
Hi, after some colour advice.

What colour is right for an overall green Chieftan.

I have mid and dark bronze green, is it one of those?

Any advice appreciated.

Si.

The Mk1 & Mk2 were in DBG, but there is a bit of a question mark over what DBG as there was a move to unleaded DBG around that time. The unleaded stuff appeared more greyish, lacking that deep green/blue hue of the 'real' stuff.

Some Mk3 may have been in DBG also but generally they were in BS381C 298 'Olive Drab' when they left the factory. Progressively during the seventies this was over painted with disruptive black in the field.

I understand that NATO green did not appear until the '80's.

I am currently building an early (1967) Mk2 and I intend painting it in the 'traditional' DBG when I find a good recipe for a Humbrol mix.

Regards Dave

• 2 weeks later...
The Mk1 & Mk2 were in DBG, but there is a bit of a question mark over what DBG as there was a move to unleaded DBG around that time. The unleaded stuff appeared more greyish, lacking that deep green/blue hue of the 'real' stuff.

Some Mk3 may have been in DBG also but generally they were in BS381C 298 'Olive Drab' when they left the factory. Progressively during the seventies this was over painted with disruptive black in the field.

I understand that NATO green did not appear until the '80's.

I am currently building an early (1967) Mk2 and I intend painting it in the 'traditional' DBG when I find a good recipe for a Humbrol mix.

Regards Dave

When you find that "mix", please print it; I am a die-hard Humbrol enamel fan and would find it very useful; wish Humbrol would update products for modern armour-Brit Light Stone, Brit Green, Soviet Green, U.S. Desert Tan, etc.

I remember there being quite a variation in the colours for the later marks in BAOR in the 80-90s. Sometimes they were a matt greyish green, sometimes they came out a glossy mid green - usually both with matt black.