Today they move Nimrod XV229 over to the Fire Training School at Manston

jenko

Today they move Nimrod XV229 over to the Fire Training School at Manston. Here are some pics of the event.

Dick :clown:

014-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

032.jpg

Surely not going to be used for training exercises is it??

In a word - yes. However the training will not include the airframe getting set light, its more usefull to use it to train rescue techniques from larger aircraft.

Forgot to mention this is the very same airframe that Nimrod Dave spoke about being haunted!!! (November 2007)

Would love to hear more about this Dave!!!

Forgot to mention this is the very same airframe that Nimrod Dave spoke about being haunted!!! (November 2007)

Would love to hear more about this Dave!!!

29 was iirc the hanger queen,The story I was told when I was at Kinloss was during ground engine runs,a mechanic walked too close to one of the engines whe it was being run up to full power.The mech was sucked off his feet & into the intake & was killed.

Since then,29 was forever in the NMSU/ASF with numerous faults which could'nt be found.

Incidentally,at the rear of the ESA (Bomb Dump) at Kinloss,the was a Torpedo storage shed that blew up caused by a fuel spill.Four fellow Armourers were killed in the blast.Now the were stories of unexplainable things up that end of the dump.After the IRA blew up Rhinedhallen,muggins & another Armourer were stuck on guard duty,We were patrolling the perimeter fence near the area where the torp exploded.We both got the feeling we were being watched,same thing the next night when we patrolled.Even with night sights on the SLR's we could'nt see anything.

• Like 1

In a word - yes. However the training will not include the airframe getting set light, its more usefull to use it to train rescue techniques from larger aircraft.

Now that is good to hear that it won't be :jump_fire: but curious to know does it still have a semi complete interior and flight deck??

As for the ghost stories - don't tell me anymore!!

Cause I scare easily!! :gobsmacked:

Cheers!

The aircraft is a basic airframe. All equipment will have been removed, exept what they need for safe flying (for use in the transit of the aircraft). Anything else that could be reusrd will be stripped out at the Training school.

She's a ghost of her former self! :unsure:

29 was iirc the hanger queen,The story I was told when I was at Kinloss was during ground engine runs,a mechanic walked too close to one of the engines whe it was being run up to full power.The mech was sucked off his feet & into the intake & was killed.

Thats, quite spooky, do you know when this happened?

reason I ask, is I had a good friend who was killed in the same way years ago, not the same accident, but the detials are the same, but on a BAe 146 doing ground runs.

Reason I say it spooky, is that he worked on Nimrods, and I'm sure it was Kinloss!!!!

Dave

Update

found this on the net http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread....567&page=28

XV229, a Kinloss Nimrod MR2, is supposed to be haunted. One story relates to a rigger who lifted a hatch to the hydraulic bay, only to see a face staring back at him. Police dog handlers I've spoken to say that their dogs get spooked if they have to go near it at night. Other tradesmen have said that it is especially creepy around the galley for some reason, and is very unpopular to work on alone at night!

Popular opinion is that 229 is unlucky, since the serial adds up to '13', and cite the ghost as being a tradesman who was sadly killed after being sucked into an intake. A bit of story-telling licence there, because this actually happened to XV247 (another '13'!) at Kinloss around 1984. XV247 was considered an 'unlucky' airframe, as in addition to the intake death, an armourer was killed at St Mawgan when a SUS from the aircraft fell on him, and an engineer caught his neck in its airbrakes. The airframe of XV247 was used as a donor for Nimrod MRA4 PA1, ZJ516.

Incidentally, the Nimrod which crashed at Kinloss in 1980 following a bird strike, sadly killing the two pilots, was XV256, which of course also adds up to '13'...

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

reason I ask, is I had a good friend who was killed in the same way years ago, not the same accident, but the detials are the same, but on a BAe 146 doing ground runs.

Reason I say it spooky, is that he worked on Nimrods, and I'm sure it was Kinloss!!!!

Dave

Update

found this on the net

The aircraft that sucked the engineer down the intake during an engine run was 247 - it happened outside my office window around 1984. The same aircraft, 247, was responsible for the death of an armourer at St Mawgan in the early 70s when an old type bomb bay SUS fell out whilst being loaded, and I also believe it was the aircraft that the engineer on the NMSU caught his neck in the airbrakes during a test.

It is certainly considered the unlukiest or most (ground) accident prone in the fleet. It is now PA1 which was the first MRA4 to fly and was the airframe test aircraft for the project.

God,you're talking early 80's,before I got to Kinloss in May 1985.Thanks for clarifying the serial number,I thought it was '29' but it was well ober 20years ago!

As to the Armourer killed,I can well believe it.The loading kit & bomb racks are the same as used on the Shackleton with a hydraulic jack for winching the bomb rack uo to the airframe.These I remember were prone to blowing a seal & pishing out hydraulic fluid. We took spares out to the line with us just in case.

Today they move Nimrod XV229 over to the Fire Training School at Manston. Here are some pics of the event.

Great Thanks for posting those pics, I snapped the nimrod last week & came through Manston yesterday and saw it had moved , Doug at the History Museum said it was being moved this week to the fire training school, which incidently doesn't I believe get airframes for nothing but has to purchase them! and sometimes gets Tornadoes etc so completely stripped they are unusable for training...........not being knowledgeable on Nimrods and rarely seen one It brought it home to me what a relativly small airframe it is especially when seen next to the cargo planes at Manston (would say what ones but my ID on civil airliner 'white tubes with wings' is poor!)

God,you're talking early 80's,before I got to Kinloss in May 1985.Thanks for clarifying the serial number,I thought it was '29' but it was well ober 20years ago!

As to the Armourer killed,I can well believe it.The loading kit & bomb racks are the same as used on the Shackleton with a hydraulic jack for winching the bomb rack uo to the airframe.These I remember were prone to blowing a seal & pishing out hydraulic fluid. We took spares out to the line with us just in case.

Seems most do spike.

I have to say I got the bit between my teeth on this, because I'm sure my mate John would have been there at that time. ie in 1984 I'm sure he would have still been in the RAF, so would have been aware of this accident I'm sure. So to get caught in the same way just 2 to 3 years later really makes you wonder, specially as he was one of the most vigilant people I knew.

Cheers spike

Dave

Hi there,

I really did not want to place a reply, but was quite annoyed by some of the rubbish regarding the various stories of Nimrod MR2 disposals lately. Firstly XV229 has been placed at DFTDC Manston under the control of both the Commandant and the Nim PT, it will not be set fire too !!! as this is against the law. It will be kept in a good condition to train new firemen in dealing with large aircraft escapes and rescues using various overwing and door rope escapes. The aircraft as a whole has not been stripped out, in fact only items that are required by other platforms were recovered all the interior is as a Nimrod person would expect, although some black boxes are out as you would expect. The ac has been sited on a heavy duty matting to enable fire training vehicles to practice along side, of course they could also wash it as well, it has also been parked on a general SW heading into the wind as it has a large wingspan. She looked great and to on the people who said it couldn't be done, she hopped over 4 fences 2 roads and bypassed under a DC8 and B747. This would not have been possible without the help of KIA and many others including the Manston Fire Support guys and Dave plus friends who drove the John Deer we used to tow her. Long live the Nimrod she has served her country well.

Edited by NimrodLivesOn

Hi there,

I really did not want to place a reply

Glad you did ........excellent post thank you

Edited by fraxinus

..is it easily viewable ?

I assume its on the other side of the road from the terminal building...near to the control tower ?

Edited by FalkeEins

..is it easily viewable ?

I assume its on the other side of the road from the terminal building...near to the control tower ?

Hi Neil

I believe its gone past the old control tower across the road into the fire training area will have a look this weekend, below some pics from when it was parked up last week showing its size next to a DC10? my civil ID is bad on white tubes with wings!

nimrodatmanston.jpg

nimrodmanston2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Are any of the fire/rescue training airframes still at Manston after the site was bought by the rancid Stagecoach empire? I can remember flying over dead Vulcans, Victors, Lightnings and Jet Provosts, amongst others when in one of the then-resident 1 AEF's Chipmunks. No camera in those days sadly......

Edited by stever219

Are any of the fire/rescue training airframes still at Manston after the site was bought by the rancid Stagecoach empire? I can remember flying over dead Vulcans, Victors, Lightnings and Jet Provosts, amongst others when in one of the then-resident 1 AEF's Chipmunks. No camera in those days sadly......

Yes Steve the fire school is still operational. Just had a new CO.

Dave

Update

found this on the net http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread....567&page=28

XV229, a Kinloss Nimrod MR2, is supposed to be haunted. One story relates to a rigger who lifted a hatch to the hydraulic bay, only to see a face staring back at him. Police dog handlers I've spoken to say that their dogs get spooked if they have to go near it at night. Other tradesmen have said that it is especially creepy around the galley for some reason, and is very unpopular to work on alone at night!

Popular opinion is that 229 is unlucky, since the serial adds up to '13', and cite the ghost as being a tradesman who was sadly killed after being sucked into an intake. A bit of story-telling licence there, because this actually happened to XV247 (another '13'!) at Kinloss around 1984. XV247 was considered an 'unlucky' airframe, as in addition to the intake death, an armourer was killed at St Mawgan when a SUS from the aircraft fell on him, and an engineer caught his neck in its airbrakes. The airframe of XV247 was used as a donor for Nimrod MRA4 PA1, ZJ516.

Incidentally, the Nimrod which crashed at Kinloss in 1980 following a bird strike, sadly killing the two pilots, was XV256, which of course also adds up to '13'...

I wouldn't worry about RAF dog handlers, the dogs were always spooked,the handlers acted like they knew their dog and the dog didn't recognise the person on the other end of the lead, dog wanted to eat anything in blue!

I was on the pan at Brize on a really cold night,black ice etc. Snow Drop and dog coming towards me,dog didn't like the look of me, the dog was doing leg spins on ice, finally got its back legs to grip and dragged the Snow Drop onto the deck. By now I've grown big legs,making for the terminal side door.Snow Drops shouting at Fido and getting scraped along the concrete. I just managed to get the door shut (It had a hydraulic damper that was damping big time!) when Fido headbutted the glass door. I was flapping by now. Not as much as the Snow Drop though.He was in such a mess. Still laughed though!

I've got more but i'm off topic and Snickers and Milky Ways.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Julien, 

I' m one of the team preserving XV232, wondered If I could use the close up shot of XV229 for our 'Other Nimrods' section on our website www.xv232.com\? It will be credited to whomsoever took it. :) 

Many thanks in advance.

Gareth XV232

WWW.XV232.COM

FB: Nimrod Preservation Group XV232

Trip Advisor: Nimrod XV232