Vickers Vanguard - looking for references

CarLos

Hello all,

I am writing my first post in this forum because I just received the Crowood book on "Vickers Viscount and Vanguard" by Malcolm Hill and I am very disappointed for the poor coverage of the Vanguard from a modeler's view. I expected something like in the Airline Tech series of books, with technical drawings of details - mainly for the engines and wheel wells.

I confess I didn't explore the Flight archives, but in the meantime can someone point me to any bibliographic source on the subject? I have a nice vac to start soon...

Thanks very much in advance!

Carlos - from Portugal

P.S. - if you think the Vanguard is "modern" feel free to move the topic

We used to have lots here, the one that went to Brooklands had enough hours on one engine for the flight, if it hadn't got in that was it, it never would have...... sadly I wasn't into photography then so never took any pics.

I did however spend a couple of hours in the sim doing really bad circuits in one LOL....... I also watched 2 men armed with nothing more than sledge hammers, saws and a big angle grinder cut one up and haul it all away in a trailer on the back of their Volvo estate for scrap, the cockpit was saved and is at the East Midlands Museum.

I confess I didn't explore the Flight archives, but in the meantime can someone point me to any bibliographic source on the subject? I have a nice vac to start soon...

Hi Carlos,

I haven't found much out there with technical drawings of Vanguard details except bits in Flight International (so far). A couple of cutaways are at their archives:

Cutaway 1

Cutaway 2

Another Vanguard source mainly for histories of each airframe here:

Vickers Vanguard

Unfortunately their bibliography relates mostly to aircraft histories rather than technical details.

You can search the Flight International archives here:

Flight International

It's time consuming, but you occasionally run across some gems for modeling.

Best of luck,

Gary

I tracked down an old TCA Vanguard flight manual in the hopes of some detail. Alas, not much for detail drawing in those days - a maintenance manual would probably have been better. Perhaps there is one available at a museum in the UK to browse?

There used to be the Vickers engineering mock up of the cockpit for the TCA a/c in the London Science Museum. I used to work on them myself, dirty beasts, especially in the Engine/U/C areas, worked on some of the original Vanguard to Merchantman conversions as an apprentice at LHR.

Lots of very nice info here, thanks guys as I have three 1/72 vac forms to do sometime.

What a masochist! My hat's off to you; I have only one of those to do and I'm not quite ready yet. Just for you and Carlos (and anyone else interested), here are a few detail photos that might help. Not quite a walkaround and I apologize for the weather. The Vanguard had long left Canada when BA's Merchantman G-APEK showed up in Toronto on a winter's day.

Gary's pics

I added the (poor) Air Canada ones for some detail differences (eg no side window wipers and different antenna).

Happy modeling!! :pilot:

Gary

Yes it's 1/72 scale. The vacs are done by Gene Hooker out of the States, his company that he used to go by is called Classic Air Line Logos, but whether he still uses that I'm not sure. Apart from the Vanguard, he also produces a very nice C-133 complete vac and XC-99 fuselage conversion for the B-36 in 1/72 too.

Hi

Scale Aircraft Modelling 1996 April issue had a 2 page colour spread of profiles and colour schemes. I can scan this and e-mail it to you if interested. Send me a pm with your e-mail address if you want this

regards

John

Yes it's 1/72 scale. The vacs are done by Gene Hooker out of the States, his company that he used to go by is called Classic Air Line Logos, but whether he still uses that I'm not sure. Apart from the Vanguard, he also produces a very nice C-133 complete vac and XC-99 fuselage conversion for the B-36 in 1/72 too.

Have you any photos of the kit and may be a link to the web site as I cannot find it

Hi John,

Would you have anything showing the u/c detail ?

Robert

sorry no

the profiles are side colour views of Vanguard and also "Merchantman" aircraft showing the various airline liveries they were painted in rather then more detailed diagrams showing areas like undercarraige. very helpful for painting a finished model but not for the construction.

John

Have you any photos of the kit and may be a link to the web site as I cannot find it

I'll see if I can find which box I have them in a take a few photos. There is no website though but I do have an snail mail address and an email address somewhere. I'll have a look later and see where I put them, but I'm a bit busy at the moment. The kits I have came with a detailed instruction set and decals for a Trans Canada Air Lines scheme, there's also a windshield made out of velom. There's no u/c or props which will have to be made. I'm going to modify an Aeroclub Britannia prop set as they are very similar, spinners are anyway and the diameter for the Vanguard is smaller so re-profiling them won't be a problem. I've got some 737 u/c and wheels for the main u/c and I'll use some Vulcan front wheels for the fronts.

I'm going to do one of the kits as a Vanguard, one as a Merchantman and the other will be a 'what-if' AEW.

sorry no

the profiles are side colour views of Vanguard and also "Merchantman" aircraft showing the various airline liveries they were painted in rather then more detailed diagrams showing areas like undercarraige. very helpful for painting a finished model but not for the construction.

John

Thanks anyway John.

Would you have anything showing the u/c detail ?

Robert,

I hope you don't mind me butting in again ............... but while digging through some Vanguard stuff I found landing gear schematics from the flight manual. I have added them to the Vanguard photos at Photobucket, but to save you a few clicks, here are the direct links.

Nose Gear

Main Gear

HTH

Gary

Robert,

I hope you don't mind me butting in again ............... but while digging through some Vanguard stuff I found landing gear schematics from the flight manual. I have added them to the Vanguard photos at Photobucket, but to save you a few clicks, here are the direct links.

Nose Gear

Main Gear

HTH

Gary

:book: ""most excellent"" :thumbsup:

cheers Gary

Robert

• 1 month later...

Carlos/Robert..

I stumbled over this thread via google while looking for something else (as is always the way)! I'm a volunteer on Vanguard Merchantman G-APEP at Brooklands so if there are any shots you'd like to help with your projects (landing gear has already been mentioned).. I'll be happy to take them for you ;)

My apologies to Mike for emailing.. I didn't realise acceptance was manual :)

Best regards

DaveB

Carlos/Robert..

I stumbled over this thread via google while looking for something else (as is always the way)! I'm a volunteer on Vanguard Merchantman G-APEP at Brooklands so if there are any shots you'd like to help with your projects (landing gear has already been mentioned).. I'll be happy to take them for you ;)

My apologies to Mike for emailing.. I didn't realise acceptance was manual :)

Best regards

DaveB

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your offer!

It would be great if you could get the exact measures of the elliptic windows.

Best regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos :)

I have that information already. Although the windows on the Merchantman are blanked out, the blanks are of course the same size as the originals which measure 26" x 19" (in real money) or.. as close as I can get it in cm.. 66.04 x 48.26. They were the same windows as fitted to the Viscount (AFAIK) which were the largest passenger windows of the era.. certainly no other British built aircraft had larger ;)

ATB

DaveB