Phantom FGR1 XV582 "Black Mike"

wurger190

I am making a model of Phantom FG1 XV582 as she appeared in 1992-93 at airshows around the country.

Does anyone have any photographs of her at this time that they are willing to share?

Also, does anyone have any photographs of the cockpits of "Black Mike" or any other FG1?

I am especially interested in the rear cockpit of this aircraft, as I can find no photographs in any books

which show the rear cockpit of an FG1.

Thanks for any help.

Alternatively!

I have this very kit by Hasegawa :analintruder:

If you like I can scan the decs and placement instructions for you if that's any help?

PM me with your e-mail addy if interested?

HTH

Adrian

Edited by atdb27

There must be cockpit shots out there as she was used as the 'have your photo taken in the cockpit' aircraft at Leuchars shows for years

Hopefully, someone will read this and have some photographs of the inside of the rear cockpit, but I believe that the rear canopy has not been opened

at the Leuchars shows for several years?

Regards,

Wurger190

Alternatively!

I have this very kit by Hasegawa :analintruder:

If you like I can scan the decs and placement instructions for you if that's any help?

PM me with your e-mail addy if interested?

HTH

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I am always glad of any information before I start a model. I have had too many experiences

of just finishing my latest pride & joy and then visiting a museum or seeing another photograph

which shows a glaring error which would have been easy to avoid at the time!

My e-mail address is [email protected].

Regards,

Wurger190

Thanks Adrian,

I am always glad of any information before I start a model. I have had too many experiences

of just finishing my latest pride & joy and then visiting a museum or seeing another photograph

which shows a glaring error which would have been easy to avoid at the time!

My e-mail address is [email protected].

Regards,

Wurger190

Sorry for the delay kit buried in the stash

Info now sent

Adrian

Went round Black mike today but wasn't able to get any decent photos as the rear cockpit has been bolted down after it was detatched during some high winds a few months ago. Also the glazing has become slightly opaque so the photos I did take were of no use at all. But this is probably academic as the cockpit has had quite alot of the components removed and not too much remains. I did compare it with some photos of the toom at Hendon and it does seem fairly similar but I am no expert.

Went round Black mike today but wasn't able to get any decent photos as the rear cockpit has been bolted down after it was detatched during some high winds a few months ago. Also the glazing has become slightly opaque so the photos I did take were of no use at all. But this is probably academic as the cockpit has had quite alot of the components removed and not too much remains. I did compare it with some photos of the toom at Hendon and it does seem fairly similar but I am no expert.

Hello Sooty,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to help a fellow modeller, I suppose that as the equipment fitted into a Phantom was so expensive, it was too

much to expect the RAF to leave it in an airframe which was never going to be used again.

The Phantom at Hendon is an FGR2 and the layout of the equipment in the rear cockpit is different to that of the FG1. e.g the console on the right hand side

of the FGR2 cockpit is absent from the FG1. I assume that the equipment there may be re-distributed in the FG1's cockpit?

Once again thanks for trying,

Regards,

wurger190

Just remembered that the Verlinden book has some photos of the cockpits of RAF Phantoms, as does the Aeroguide, and if my memory is ocrrect, one has the FG1 and the other the FGR2

Hello Dave,

Yes, the Verlinden book has pictures of a late FGR2 rear cockpit, while the Aeroguide has a picture of the FG1.

I have both the Eduard FGR2 and Aires FGR1 (sic) cockpit sets. and I think that the Eduard set is closer to the truth.

(The Aires set looks more like an F4J to me.)

I plan to butcher the Aires set, scratchbuild replacement parts and add the instrument plackards from the Eduard set.

This is going to be an expensive model!

Regards,

wurger190

I've heard that the XT-serialled FGR2s were fitted for dual controls, and had consoles on both sides in the back, but that the XT- and XV- serialled FG1s and and XV-serialled FGR2s wee pretty much as the Hasegawa and Fujimi kits, but I could be wrong. There are drawings of the cockpits in the Hall Park (Guideline) Warpaint on thth using the Hasegawa kit and I've started scratch building the consoles already.e F4K and M. Any other information on this would be greatly appreciated here as I'm trying to model XT899 in 1/48th using the Hasegawa kit and I've already started scratchbuilding new consoles for the rear cockpit.

Steve

I've heard that the XT-serialled FGR2s were fitted for dual controls, and had consoles on both sides in the back, but that the XT- and XV- serialled FG1s and and XV-serialled FGR2s wee pretty much as the Hasegawa and Fujimi kits, but I could be wrong. There are drawings of the cockpits in the Hall Park (Guideline) Warpaint on thth using the Hasegawa kit and I've started scratch building the consoles already.e F4K and M. Any other information on this would be greatly appreciated here as I'm trying to model XT899 in 1/48th using the Hasegawa kit and I've already started scratchbuilding new consoles for the rear cockpit.

Steve

Yes and no; the XT serial FGR2s were indeed "two-stickers" which meant their layout was quite different (I would have to check references but I have a feeling the XV FGR2s with serials <399 or 400 were 2-stickers as well). While the stick was removable you had rudder pedals instead of the footrests and in the left hand console you had a throttle box which moved around the comms stuff. Above the row of flight instruments you had engine instruments and gear indicators. These were not present in the single stick FGR2s. All FGR2 had RH consoles were primarily the INAS; in the FG1 there was no right hand console (just a big circuit breaker panel) as you had the nav computer front and centre above the basic instruments. The left hand console of the FG1 was slightly sloping down and less kit than the FGR2, particularly no HF radio - basically the V/UHF radio and the TACAN. Also the 2-stickers never got the chaff and flare fit nor the TESS (telescope left hand side).

The FG1 (F4K) was based on the F4J so the cockpits were very similar - the F4J(UK) had been updated to F4S standard cockpits.

One source that may be useful is that you can source CDs of flight manuals on ebay - if they are complete they shoul dhave full pictures of the differing cockpit layouts albeit in diagram rather than photo form. Hope that helps.

Geoff

Wurger

I looked into my references and confirm that Aeroguide 13 has a page of b/w pix of both FG.1 pits albeit with only one showing the back and then just the front panel. SAM for June 1980 has sketches of both FG.1 pits, again in b/w, looking forward although it has to be said that not much detail is shown for the sides. However you are welcome to copies of these if it helps. PM me if interested.

MH

Wurger

I looked into my references and confirm that Aeroguide 13 has a page of b/w pix of both FG.1 pits albeit with only one showing the back and then just the front panel. SAM for June 1980 has sketches of both FG.1 pits, again in b/w, looking forward although it has to be said that not much detail is shown for the sides. However you are welcome to copies of these if it helps. PM me if interested.

MH

Hello Max,

Thanks for the offer, but I have both the references which you mention. As you said, there is not enough detail to wield a razor saw with any confidence.

Regards,

Wurger190

Although I think its now OOP Black Box did a pair of Spey Phantom cockpit sets covering the FG.1 and FGR.2 as well as the F4-S upgrade for the F4-J(UK).

The decals for Black Mike are available on an early Xtradecal sheet, I have a copy for my model as well as the BB cockpit and PDF format copies of the FG.1 and FGR.2 aircrew manuals including cockpit illustrations, they are way too big to e-mail so PM me and let me have your address, I'll stick them on a CD and post them if you're really keen!

Although I think its now OOP Black Box did a pair of Spey Phantom cockpit sets covering the FG.1 and FGR.2 as well as the F4-S upgrade for the F4-J(UK).

The decals for Black Mike are available on an early Xtradecal sheet, I have a copy for my model as well as the BB cockpit and PDF format copies of the FG.1 and FGR.2 aircrew manuals including cockpit illustrations, they are way too big to e-mail so PM me and let me have your address, I'll stick them on a CD and post them if you're really keen!

Thank you for the offer Modeller, but at our club meeting last Wednesday, I asked for any information on the FG1 cockpit and a fellow member

has a CD with the FG1 and FGR2 aircrew manuals. He has promised to let me borrow/copy them this week-end.

Thank you very much for the information and for the offer of the aircrew manuals.

Regards,

Wurger190