Leyland L60 engine ref [pics

richellis

hmmm K60....... what do you mean the rear genny is U/S.......! Always remember getting young Crasfman to hold onto the fan table when ground running them to stop them taking off :wicked:

At BATUS wksp in the early eighties we swapped the genny plugs round on the EJB so the front masterswitch worked the rear genny and vice versa. The shaft driven rear genny was on line from the off and when the grunts wanted to listen to the radio :headphones: and knocked the rear masterswitch on the belt driven front genny slipped the belts for a bit and then worked. Saved us no end of work :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to disappoint, Daz, but in 15 years of poking about in the bowels of Cheiftains and other assorted junk, I only managed to find one L60 at a time in them, providing you dont count the BMC diesel taxi engine used as a genny to keep the batteries charged when sleeping in woods and the like.

The L60 was a Rolls Royce design, but built by Leyland :doh: It was a six cylinder supercharged two stroke with 12 opposed pistons (2 in each pot) with an alarming habit of running away and blowing itself up when the governor packed up :pray:

All in all it was kak really

I was also involved with chieftain for about 16 or 17 years, first in an LAD then FRG, followed by 2 more LAD tours and finaly in FRG again.

I have to agree, that in my early years with 9/12 Lancers LAD, we did see a fair few liner failures, but when that was sorted, I do believe it became a much better tank.

I would not say, I didn`t see my share of, and did, quite a few pack changes, but in all fairness, I reckon it matured and by the time I was with Scots.D.G,s and then 3RTR, pack changes happened, but much less frequently.

As a tank to work on, I loved it, maybe I was a little different, but there we go.

Cannot compare with Challenger, because I was never lucky enough to get to work on them.

Actually I've just noticed that this engine has the coolant outlets from the thermostats (on the left hand side) simply plugged with red plastic bungs, so it is only being cooled by whats in the block - I would imagine that the bungs will blow out when the coolant gets hot enough...