Leyland L60 engine ref [pics

richellis

Hi,

Went to a steam and vintage show today and there was a Leyland L60 engine on display. I cant remember what its from, but I thought they may be of some use.....

feel free to save them if you want them, but for your own use as modeling referance please! Ive seen some of my pics used on a web-site without my permission (not a user off here!)

Wolvessteamshow2010018.jpg

Wolvessteamshow2010020.jpg

Wolvessteamshow2010019.jpg

Wolvessteamshow2010021.jpg

I remember that is was a multi fuel engine. If anyone knows any more detail on what its used in that would be useful to know......

ta

Blimey, two. that one was loud enough when it was started!

Hope they may be some use anyway! tried to get the various wires, and tubes on it!

Now where can I get a model of theis engine to super detail!

Sorry to disappoint, Daz, but in 15 years of poking about in the bowels of Cheiftains and other assorted junk, I only managed to find one L60 at a time in them, providing you dont count the BMC diesel taxi engine used as a genny to keep the batteries charged when sleeping in woods and the like.

The L60 was a Rolls Royce design, but built by Leyland :doh: It was a six cylinder supercharged two stroke with 12 opposed pistons (2 in each pot) with an alarming habit of running away and blowing itself up when the governor packed up :pray:

All in all it was kak really

I know the Cheiftain was powered by two Leyland L60's Rich!

t_L60_bov.jpg

Only one L60 only actually - and that looks like one from a Chieftain...if only they there were that accessible when in the hull of a tank!

Although they were supposed to be multi-fuel we only ever used diesel for them, and they tended to have a life of about 100km only, which is why Chieftain was the best tank in the world, if it broke down in the right location...the cylinder liners would crack allowing coolant into the cylinders which resulted in plumes of smelly white smoke when they failed.

I was told once that originally these engines were used as generator engines on ships, running at constant speed and load (whether that is true or not I don't know); the problem came when in a tank you have to go up and down the rev range and keep putting them under load.

I remember a fitter mate of mine in Canada took the airfilter box off but didnt put mesh plate on and got his coveralls sucked into the blower, could have been worse i spose, and they sounded great when you drove them round the tank park with the exhaust box off though.

Dek.

• Like 1

that one cant be a runner there is no oil in it/all over it or on the floor under it! They do sound awesome though!

I know the Cheiftain was powered by two Leyland L60's Rich!

t_L60_bov.jpg

That's an engine pack Daz, one engine fitted with twin radiator/cooling systems, hence the dual appearence. The Cheiftain engine pack could be changed as a complete unit in the field, allowing quick turnarounds following engine failures, which were quite common. Cheiftain mechanics had a saying concerning the L60 engine, " If there's no oil under it,then there's no oil in it "

that one cant be a runner there is no oil in it/all over it or on the floor under it! They do sound awesome though!

Heard one near Bovington camp about 25 years ago, can still hear it in my mind, like a detroit diesel on steroids, but different. Awesome.

Steve.

Heard one near Bovington camp about 25 years ago, can still hear it in my mind, like a detroit diesel on steroids, but different. Awesome.

Steve.

All two stroke diesels sound awesome. A Commer TS3 powered truck under load is something to behold. There was a guy who put one in an old post office van chassis and built a sports car body around it, with a straight thru exhaust! You could here it coming long before you saw it.

Chiffys had a kind of prehistoric growl to them which made them sound awesome, but not a patch on the 12 cylinder symphony from the CV12 in Challenger!

Edited by ferny

Chiffys had a kind of prehistoric growl to them which made them sound awesome, but not a patch on the 12 cylinder symphony from the CV12 in Challenger!

a lot of the prgrammes on Discovery channel about tanks use the engine sound from a chieftain to simulate any tank engine...but once you've heard an L60 you'll never forget it.

I agree the CV12 in Challenger is also meaty, but the best tank engine sound definitely comes from Leopards, especially when they are doing neutral turns.

As for pack chaning times - someone in the thread said 'qucik engine turnarounds' or something - well, a Cheiftain pack change was about 3.5 hours for a crew of 4; a Leopard pack change was about 11 minutes (I know 'cos I did one at Fally one day, during an open day at & Armd Workshop -ymself and three other German speakers spent a couple of days with the Budneswehr at Munsterlager being shown how to do them, then we did the pack change as a 'demo'. I think that would have been in '85.

Even worse to change though was the small Gennie engine which was a complete B*****d...and not much better in the Chally 1's that I worked on.

Graeme

All two stroke diesels sound awesome. A Commer TS3 powered truck under load is something to behold. There was a guy who put one in an old post office van chassis and built a sports car body around it, with a straight thru exhaust! You could here it coming long before you saw it.

The local transport museum has a TS3, it sounds just insane. :lol: You gottas love them. My memory of the L60 in the Chieftain has it at about 10 times the volume of a TS3. I was driving past a training area on my way to the museum when I heard it. just had to stop & have a shufti. It was just great, hard to describe without sinking into cliches or the sort of jargon my teenage son come out with, like you know, beyond awesome, like uber mega amazing.:o:rolleyes:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

hmmm K60....... what do you mean the rear genny is U/S.......! Always remember getting young Crasfman to hold onto the fan table when ground running them to stop them taking off :wicked:

hmmm K60....... what do you mean the rear genny is U/S.......! Always remember getting young Crasfman to hold onto the fan table when ground running them to stop them taking off :wicked:

Even better - if the 432 won't start, open the side engine hatch and hit the starter motor with a machete, lol

and did anyone ever fit the rear engine mounting bolt - I don't think so

Graeme

Even better - if the 432 won't start, open the side engine hatch and hit the starter motor with a machete, lol

and did anyone ever fit the rear engine mounting bolt - I don't think so

Graeme

No, but the Cfn/newbies in the LAD always had the privilege of removing them when they came back fiited, from the Armoured Workshops :)