1/48 Tamiya Mosquito NF Mk.XVII

M4rk

Well, that seems to work superbly. I'm amazed!

I'm also going to get a gallon drum of Copydex tomorrow. :whistle:

btw, why do you use white tack? Can you not use copydex for the whole masking or does the stuff not stick down well on its edges without the white tack?

Thanks mate.

..... I do have to wonder though... Some poor bloke has his latest very expensive, precious build awaiting masking.

He is staring in total, abject misery at his only roll of Tamiya tape which is empty. :raincloud:

I mean, it only stands to reason that the first substitute you think of is carpet glue... Innit? :whistle:

Nice one! :clap2:

Edited by Murdo

Cheers Murdo

I'm also going to get a gallon drum of Copydex tomorrow. :whistle:

btw, why do you use white tack? Can you not use copydex for the whole masking or does the stuff not stick down well on its edges without the white tack?

The white-tac is used to get the slightly feathered edge to the demarcation lines, its a fairly well used method for camo masking. It is better than masking tape or other 'hard' edge masking methods as it helps prevent paint build-up at the edge and gives a softer look to it. It's kind of half-way between hard-edge masking and free-hand camo painting.

Copydex could be used for the full masking job, the only problem is it's a bit tricky to apply accurately as its quite thick, plus it ruins brushes if you have the tube rather than the bottle with brush lid as in the pic above. I have the tube and use an old cruddy brush just for this job, but it's pretty well gummed up now so would be useless for any other job ;).

Not a great deal of progress this weekend as I went to the World Superbikes on Sunday so have been away from home most of the time. I did manage to get the undersides mostly done though :D

First, a coat of NATO Black

DSCF2189r.jpg

Followed by a bit of post-shading on panel lines etc. with a slightly darker shade

DSCF2192r.jpg

I was thinking about doing some lightening in the middle of panels, but as there isn't a great number of them on a Mosquito and I think it looks alright now as it is, I don't think I'll bother :). Think I might try and do a bit of exhaust stain weathering before unmasking it as well, bit easier to handle without decals etc on yet too.

Cheers