Airfix Nimrod

regulus

Guess you can't blame people for being a bit sceptical at the prospect of new Airfix releases. With the exception of the Lightning and Spitfire, there's never been anything jaw-dropping in terms of moulded quality, but regardless of minor quibbles, I sure ain't complaining that we've finally got a Nimrod and a 48th Canberra!

Of course, healthy scepticism of a company that has a mixed bag of product is one thing, but the level of disdain exhibited towards Airfix by some people (thankfully none of our current members) borders on the obsessive, and is quite disturbing. :wacko:

You also won't catch me complaining about an IJ Nimblob or 1:48 Cranberry. Might offload my CA T.17 to make way for an Airfix one, based on the test shots I saw at SMW. Didn't someone want one recently?

As someone who worked on them for five years, from the photos I have to say it's not a bad effort. As previously mention the Loral pods don't look right, the landing light is too far out board and the winder pylon looks a bit far outboard (will have to double check). I think someone mentioned u/c height, but they did tend to vary depending on the fuel load, obviously a kite with landing fuel sits much higher than say the SAR jet, which had 84K on board. I did notice the stone guard is missing off the nosewheel. If you want to be really picky, there don't appear to be any static wicks either. But, I'm just pleased someone has finally modelled the old girl. Be nice to work on her without having to wirelock something in a fantasically uncomfortable position !!!

Think you might be doing the right thing Mike. I was tempted to buy the CA Canberra but kept telling myself it'd be better to wait for the Airfix one. Having seen the CA kit built-up at SMW, I'm glad I waited as I have to say the CA kit is awful - it's far too inaccurate shape-wise, especially the nose area. I checked the Airfix one as best as I could and it looks much, much better.

Think you might be doing the right thing Mike. I was tempted to buy the CA Canberra but kept telling myself it'd be better to wait for the Airfix one. Having seen the CA kit built-up at SMW, I'm glad I waited as I have to say the CA kit is awful - it's far too inaccurate shape-wise, especially the nose area. I checked the Airfix one as best as I could and it looks much, much better.

I'm presuming you're referring to the standard nose, not the T.17? Memory's fading now, but I can only remember the glass nosed version on the sprues... I think :hmmm:

And if some of us ask those who we know close to Airfix nicely, we may get given pre-production copies which build up better than the production ones. Apparently after the pre-production test shots are distributed it's Airfix policy to send the mould away for a bit of roughing up to ensure that the punters get an inferior product, and have to struggle to build them.

Apparently.

Ahem. . . . . :w***:

:rofl:

As for the Nimrod display model, I overheard Trev telling one of the punters that it was slapped together by himself in just a few hours, hence it was a bit rough.

And if some of us ask those who we know close to Airfix nicely, we may get given pre-production copies which build up better than the production ones. Apparently after the pre-production test shots are distributed it's Airfix policy to send the mould away for a bit of roughing up to ensure that the punters get an inferior product, and have to struggle to build them.

Apparently.

Ahem. . . . . :w***:

I hope I get sent a "special" Nimrod. Then I can cancel my Hannants order and buy a "proper" Lifeboat. Always wanted to build one of those! ;)

Dave

Yeah, I meant the B(I)8 that was on show. It certainly looked right, apart from minor things like the tip tanks that looked a little long or oversized somehow, and the wierd grooves cut into the rudder. But the nose looked like a Canberra nose (at last!). The CA Canberra just looks odd from various angles, and the CA B2/6 nose is just plain wrong! Glad I didn't give in to temptation and buy any now - looks like the Airfix one is a much better deal. My only other niggling concern is that they get the "glasshouse" cockpit area right when they finally get around to doing a B2/6 but I guess that even if they don't, someone will produce an add-on insert to fit it, so the outlook's encouraging!