Airfix Nimrod

regulus

Where's the photo's of it then? :tapedshut:

Jeff

Sorry, didn't think it was worth taking my camera for, and aside from the Airfix stand, i was correct.

There was some discussion about a Comet, but upshot is that they'll leave it to the aftermarket boys to tackle that and AEW/MR2 versions. No release until new year as they are still tinkering with it. Note on DaveCov's photo's on ATF the mis-formed underside wheel whel fairings (the plastic hasn't quite filled the mould) for example.

Dunno who the other guy was with Trevor (Mr Hornby perhaps ?) but he seemed keen and again the Canberra parts really were test shots and had a rough texture as well as being black. Other scuttlebutt was the new club which will be up running soon, and yes, you can dig out all those old flying hours tokens again...!! :speak_cool:

i have a long standing love with this old lady,but i remember when she was'nt so old, for that matter neither was I. Back in 1982 just after the Falklands War I was a young 13 year old space cadet on camp at RAF St Morgan. I got a dream 16 hour flight in the beast over the mediteranian to take pictures of two russian combat ships coming out of the black sea. Who would have believed it ,couldn't happen today.

For years now I have been berating any model manufacturer who would listen at every show I went too about tooling this beautiful old lady I'm only glad she is nearly upon us. Put me down for six.

It seems airfix has done this old lady proud i understand some moaning at the price of around £40

if it had been marketed by hasegawa of even trumpeter you'd expect to pay around £60.So well done airfix nice to have you back.......

happy modelling Glenn.....

i have a long standing love with this old lady,but i remember when she was'nt so old, for that matter neither was I. Back in 1982 just after the Falklands War I was a young 13 year old space cadet on camp at RAF St Morgan. I got a dream 16 hour flight in the beast over the mediteranian to take pictures of two russian combat ships coming out of the black sea. Who would have believed it ,couldn't happen today.

For years now I have been berating any model manufacturer who would listen at every show I went too about tooling this beautiful old lady I'm only glad she is nearly upon us. Put me down for six.

It seems airfix has done this old lady proud i understand some moaning at the price of around £40

if it had been marketed by hasegawa of even trumpeter you'd expect to pay around £60.So well done airfix nice to have you back.......

happy modelling Glenn.....

And you only got that flight Glenn me laddo because I gave up my place on it to let the younger cadets have a go, as I had already been up in one on an earlier camp!

If I recall correctly you went up alongside Cadet Stanley?

Long live 30F

;)

The Nimrod bomb bay doors essentially have three positions

- Closed (obviously).

- Open - where the doors are roughly perpendicular to the ground and have the characteristic tiny ground clearance.

- Stores loading - where the doors fold back under the wing root to be (roughly) parallel to the ground

Hello folks, my first post here. I'll add a bit to this if I may as I've spent many hours smacking my head on the bomb bay of all the Nimrods.

Theres actually 4 bomb doors, we used to refer to it as flaring the doors. Stores load was usually done prior to refuelling, occasionally as we were refuelling, but you had to stop at about 20k or the Jet sat too low on her oleos to get the stores under the door. The front doors actually flared slightly more than the rears as the were under the engines. For some loads such as special weapons, the plumbers went in the rear, the very back of the bomb bay has two panels that opened, it was called the 'ducks ar$e' by us lineys.

The bomb bay is a very detailed area of the jet, it changes shape several times and has all sorts of bits of kit in there, from the split flap servodyne to the hydraulic accumulator gauges. If you are going to model the jet on the ground with the bomb doors in the open position (the jets were always parked like this unless they were going to sit for a period of time) then don't forget about the bomb door lock thats were fitted immediately on shut down, the lanyards left dangling on the outside.

On the subject of the doors drooping, we used to have a great practical joke for the new guys. We would have them in the bomb bay checking the hyd accumulator gauges, on the nod from someone outside, you would select the bomb door system to the 'red' system. This powered the brakes and was used in emergencies for various systems inc the bomb doors. This would immediately pressurise the system and flex the doors !! This moved the doors about 4 inches outwards with a loud bang that would shake the jet, it was highly amusing to see new bloke come out the bomb bay like a rat up a drainpipe. (I should point out that because of the bomb bay locks you couldn't actually move the doors open or closed and you made damn sure they were in before flexing the doors).

And you only got that flight Glenn me laddo because I gave up my place on it to let the younger cadets have a go, as I had already been up in one on an earlier camp!

If I recall correctly you went up alongside Cadet Stanley?

Long live 30F

;)

long live 30 f indeed' is this a famous local dj by any chance always nice to hear from old squadron mates.takes me back to good old day's ....

ps you never left your name glad to see you on the forum and still modelling .....

Airfix were at Yeovilton on Saturday and had test shots for both the Nimrod and Canberra. Both look excellent, with fine panel lines.

Spoke to Trevor on the stand who says there are still a couple of moulding faults to be fixed, plus they are having to remould one set of undercarriage links/wheels (?) as they have just found out that they are 'handed'. This bodes well, but means issue is now due early Jan 2008 for the Nimrod, and late Jan for the Canberra.

I am not complaining as it looks like they are making genuine efforts.

Mike

P.S. They also confirmed re-issue of my all-time Airfix re-issue wish - their Strikemaster is going to be re-issued early 2008.

Would you just look at all that Sprue :yahoo:

Looks good, dunnit... I'm sure it won't be good enough for some, but I'm impressed so far (as far as you can be from pictures). I'd love to see one of our genuine Nimrod experts have a pore over the finished article though... that'd be the real test. :thumbsup:

I can't help thinking this will sell in bucket-loads! ^_^

Encouraging news indeed - looks like a nice kit. This means I can throw away my polyurethane Nimrod display model which I've been meaning to finish and detail for about ten years - phew!

Think the only down side to this happy news is the "Limited Release" saga which I find very annoying. Okay, it makes good sense for Hornby not to keep their warehouse full of unsold kits (and so creating a demand will ensure they're all sold) but from a buyer's viewpoint it's a bit annoying having to literally grab a kit at some rather over-inflated price, knowing full well that the kit will be re-released again in a year or whatever. It just smacks of exploitation, knowing full well that most modellers will be too eager to wait for a re-release.

Oh well, I guess it's a small price to pay for a kit of an aircraft which was never likely to be tackled by a company other than Airfix (apart from Matchbox or Frog!), and let's hope it sells well, although you have to wonder just how much interest there will be in the Nimrod outside of the UK. On the other hand, the new Canberras should have a place in an international market for a long, long time - I mean, just how many Canberra versions and markings options are there - you could never count 'em all!

Think the only down side to this happy news is the "Limited Release" saga which I find very annoying. Okay, it makes good sense for Hornby not to keep their warehouse full of unsold kits (and so creating a demand will ensure they're all sold) but from a buyer's viewpoint it's a bit annoying having to literally grab a kit at some rather over-inflated price, knowing full well that the kit will be re-released again in a year or whatever. It just smacks of exploitation, knowing full well that most modellers will be too eager to wait for a re-release.

But will it be over-inflated? If you look at other modelling sectors, this is the way they operate.

I can't agree with "over-inflated"... more like RRP, but I also don't mind paying a fair whack to a company that now have the backing (Hornby) that could let them realise their true potential after years of hit & miss releases. A quinessentially British company is going to have a leaning towards British subject matter, which can only be a good thing... We must also lay some praise at the doors of Trumpeter, Special Hobby (in its various guises), and CA for attempting so many obscure British subjects, with varying success (before someone starts off on a CA rant! :lol: ).

I'm not blind to Airfix's faults (I am building a Jag at the moment, afterall :hypnotised: ), but I've got high hopes for their new tools :)

I think the 'Limited' label attached to this is a bit misleading. I know some places accepted pre-orders (I have one myself with Hannants, placed over a year ago), and these outlets will also be holding stock. Airfix will be producing in excess of 23000 to meet the demand registered by the retail outlets, so maybe the hysteria and over-inflated prices that followed the TSR.2 might not be repeated :shrug:

I imagine that some speculators will have pre-ordered in the hope of making a profit, and of course some will be prepared to purchase at OTT prices, but those who really wanted one of these will have had the perspicacity to pre-order :whistle:

Just received this month's (thats November BTW!!) SAMI and there's a two page spread with nice close up pic's of the sprues - AND some photo's of the rather spiffing MA decal sheets!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!

It's looking increasingly likely I'll have to build an F-16, unless I can get someone to sabotage the mould...... :banghead:

And I thought getting the administrators in would be enough......