Airfix Nimrod

regulus

Returning to the subject, at hand, Airfix had the Nimrod, on display, at Duxford, today, and a friend sent me some photos; it looks rather good.

Edgar

Sounds like Edgar's suffering from a bout of the William Shatners again :lol: All, that, punctuation, I think, I have, a plan!

250px-JamesKirkTiberious.jpg

Oh, and my OVER use of punctuation is to make up for those who don't, can't, or won't. :tease:

Edgar

I have highlighted the missing word from your original post in red ;):wicked:

Dark Brown, XV246

xv2462cr5.jpg

What a blast from the past!

The Brown Bomber that nobody wanted to take flying way back in the late 80's. :clap2:

I seem to remember it was caused by a painter making a mistake of one digit in the supply code number of the paint.

Edited by pliph

What a blast from the past!

The Brown Bomber that nobody wanted to take flying way back in the late 80's. :clap2:

I seem to remember it was caused by a painter making a mistake of one digit in the supply code number of the paint.

As I understand it it was actually from the mid-late 70's and was not an error at all, but part of the trials which led to Hemp. Urban legend has it that the squdron CO, upon seeing it, was heard to mutter "Well, you can say one thing. . at least things that colour float!"

Oh my.... did anybody see the Nimrod on the Airfix stand at Yeovilton today...!!!

Awesome.......!!!!!!!!

Yes it was very nice but to be honest at £38.50 a throw, it ought to be! And be aware that it is a limited run (a la TSR-2), so it ain't gonna be around for long.

On the other hand, I wasn't so sure about the 1/48 Canberra sprues on the other side of the table, though I've been told they are test pressings so they had a much heavier feel, so it remains to be seen what the final versions will be like.

Edited by cloggy

I would love to see someone do that scheme just to piddle off all the rivit counters who would e queung up to slagg it off!

Julien

I will - but J putting it in the decal sheet means more will have heard of it.

BTW, when I first heard of it, it was known as the Flying Sh**e!!

Dave

Oh my.... did anybody see the Nimrod on the Airfix stand at Yeovilton today...!!! :hypnotised:

Awesome.......!!!!!!!!

:gobsmacked:

Where's the photo's of it then? :tapedshut:

Jeff

I will - but J putting it in the decal sheet means more will have heard of it.

And J only got to hear of it because DF drew his attention to it!

The other thing about XV246 is that the demarcation line is straight whereas on the Hemp scheme proper it curves towards the u/c doors. She was later repainted in the proper shade of Hemp (but with the old demarcation), then repainted properly, demarcations and all for the 1980 Fincastle Trophy (Trev's model depicts XV246 in this scheme).

A couple of years ago she was painted with a big poppy and a "60th" panel on the forward fuselage, but good photos are hard to come by (cue Britmodeller challenge) and she now resides in No.51 Sqn markings as their "hack" aircraft.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Mike has asked me to make a post about the Airfix Nimrod as I have put some exclusive pictures of the Nimrod on ATF. They are within an part of ATF which you can only see if you are a signed up member. Sorry to those non-members but it does only take a few seconds to sign up and you can then view them at your leisure.

The pictures are at: http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/about6596.html

Dave

Full weapons load for the bomb bay including Stingray torpedoes, depth charges and Harpoon, x 4 Sidewinders, x Boz pods, FLIR turret, early and late-style aerials for the tailplanes, Loral pods, IFR... essentially you can model every variant of Nimrod out of this kit (except the MR.4 - different aeroplane). Decals for six aircraft covering all the colour scheme and roundel variations, including the new CG/LAG R.1 scheme.